Maculopathy from handheld green diode laser pointerBMJ 2010; 340 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.c2982 (Published 08 June 2010) Cite this as: BMJ 2010;340:c2982
- Kimia Ziahosseini, specialist trainee1,
- John P Doris, specialist registrar2,
- George S Turner, consultant vitreoretinal surgeon2
- 1St Paul’s Eye Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool L7 8XP
- 2Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, Manchester M13 9WH
Macular laser treatment with a thermal laser can result in permanent scotoma at the laser burn site.1 We report on a teenager who presented with central scotomas from a high powered handheld laser pointer. He had bought a green diode laser pointer over the internet and shone the laser beam into his eyes while playing with it.