Intended for healthcare professionals

Longer version

Gwilym Morgan Evans

Former consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist Farnborough Hospital, Bromley, Kent (b London 1920; q Guy’s Hospital, London, 1943; MD, FRCOG), d 10 February 2004.

Gwilym Evans, known to everyone as Tubby, died peacefully on 10 February 2004 in Farnborough Hospital, where he had worked for over 30 years until his retirement in 1985.

Although born in London, he spent his early years in the family home near Aberystwyth and, throughout his life, had great pride in his Welsh roots. When he was 8 years old his family returned to London. He was educated at Emanuel School where, besides rowing, he started playing rugby, which became one of his lifelong pleasures.

Tubby started at Guy’s in 1937. At the time his uncle, T J Evans, was dean. As a student he continued playing rugby. He was involved at a time when Guy’s had a particularly strong side and boasted several current and future international players, including several South Africans.

The medical school moved to Pembury during the war. Here Tubby met his future wife, Hazel Broughton, a Guy’s nurse. They married in 1945.

He qualified in 1943 and joined the Royal Army Medical Corps in 1944, serving on hospital ships to and from Egypt.

After the war he returned to Guy’s as obstetric SHO to John Blakely before moving on to Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea Hospital for Women. In 1947 he was appointed registrar at Carshalton and, in 1948, returned to Guy’s as senior registrar to Tom Lewis. He obtained his MRCOG in 1949 and his MD in 1952.

In October 1953 he became the first exchange senior registrar from Guy’s to Farnborough Hospital and in 1955 was appointed consultant there when Rufus Thomas retired.

In 1963 he was a made a fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, serving on their postgraduate committee from 1972 to 1978. He was regional adviser for over 12 years and, in 1972, was appointed honorary tutor in obstetrics by the academic board of Guy’s.

In 1970 he was elected a freeman of the City of London following his appointment as a liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Apothecaries.

Tubby took great pride in his work, always putting the patients’ needs first. He was an excellent teacher and many Guy’s graduates will remember him from their obstetric attachment at Farnborough.

Tubby and Hazel leave two sons, Edward and David, both Guy’s graduates and both married to nurses, Lee and Mary. He took great pride and interest in his five grandchildren, two of whom gave beautiful tributes to him at his memorial service.

Along with his love of sport, Tubby enjoyed gardening, wine, and travel. He and Hazel particularly enjoyed their annual trips to South Africa to stay with Edward and his family, and Menorca with David and his family. They were also generous hosts to their many friends.

Tubby remained active until his last few months. However, he never really recovered from Hazel’s death in 1996. They had been married for over 50 years and were a truly inseparable team. [David Evans]