COVID-19: BMJ’s “What we eat matters all the more now" should anticipate other non-vaccine advice
Editor-in-Chief Fiona Godlee’s Editorial  sprang to mind when Prime Minister Mr Boris Johnson announced a vaccine for COVID-19 “that may be more than 90% effective” . Developing Countries cannot afford Millions of Pounds UK pledged for the vaccines. Dr Fiona Godlee’s advice of “Healthier eating” with “diets richer in whole grains, fruit, vegetables, and legumes, …” to help fight the Corona Virus reminds one of my “Non-Vaccine Things Capable of Doing What Vaccines Are Supposed to Do” . Vitamin C’s amazing success in Orthomolecular Medicine tops that list. [4-9]
LINUS PAULING, VITAMIN C, AND ORTHMOLECULAR MEDICINE
The term “Orthomolecular” was coined by Linus Pauling in 1968.  Deriving from Greek “Ortho” meaning “correct” or “right", it implies the “right molecule”. Orthomolecular Medicine describes practice of preventing and treating disease by giving optimal amounts of substances “which are natural to the body”.  Its message is “Right Dosage”. Linus Pauling, Nobel Prize winner for discovering the molecular genetics of Sickle Haemoglobin S  advocated large doses of Vitamin C [13 14 15] for the common cold (a corona-virus), and for cancer , recommendations that drew criticism “He’s just a PhD, not an MD doctor”’. But Physician Dr Abram Hoffer MD PhD FRCP(C) supported Linus Pauling’s Vitamin C claims. 
I was greatly privileged to meet him in Philadelphia . I have commented “speaking to the only person to have won two (un-shared-with-anybody-else) Nobel Prizes, I concluded that he did not talk about Vitamin C through his hat . Vitamin C has been proven to kill tumour cells with hard-to-treat mutation [20 21]”. In their “The Remarkable and Controversial Story of Vitamin C - The Real Story”  Steve Hickey and Andrew Saul wrote “Dr Pauling suggested that people need doses 100 times greater than those recommended by doctors and other nutritional experts. After Dr Pauling’s death in 1994, the medical establishment alleged they had shown that he was wrong, and that people needed only small amounts of Vitamin C.” 
WIKIPEDIA repeats the scepticism: “The notions behind orthomolecular medicine are not supported by sound medical evidence, and the therapy is not effective; even the validity of calling the orthomolecular approach a form of medicine has become queried since the 1970s”. On the contrary! Dr Richard Cheng has rather proven Wikipedia wrong . The remarkable effect of megadose Vitamin C is so overwhelming that Dr Ellen Grant commented on BMJ Executive Editor Dr Kamran Abbasi’s recent most excellent Editorial  that one of the two “worst mistakes and suppression of science has surely been the failure to use high dose IV Vitamin C for treating COVID-19 patients which is also cheap and effective”. [25 26] Some British Clinicians are using this regime [27-33], but I have advised prior exclusion of G6PD Deficiency. .
DR FIONA GODLEE’S ADVICE EQUIVALENT TO THAT OF DR LI AND DR LEVY
Dr William Li’s incomparable 486-page book “EAT TO BEAT DISEASE”  proves that Dr Fiona Godlee’s “whole grains, fruit, vegetables, and legumes”  and other foods do achieve the five vital mechanisms that maintain good health and counter ill health, namely Angiogenesis, Regeneration, Microbiome, DNA Protection, and Immunity. How could anyone read this book plus the 463-page “CURING THE INCURABLE – VITAMIN C” by Dr Thomas E Levy , and then blithely proceed to join Wikipedia to rubbish Linus Pauling’s “Orthomolecular” credentials? Until he died in 1994 aged 93 years 6 months Linus Pauling took increasing levels of Vitamin C reaching 18 grams daily, 200 times the recommended daily allowance (RDA). All his scientific and media critics had predeceased him. Richard Cheng affirms Pauling 
BEWARE OF POLITICS BLURRING VACCINE REALITIES [24 37 38 39 40 41]
Europeans and Americans plan to vaccinate their populations but, with prior exclusion of G6PD Deficiency,  megadose Vitamin C has no equal against severe COVID-19 [6 8 9 23 33 36]. Its C6H8O6 formula shows why it releases from the body virus-killing Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 which Ghanaians have discovered protects health workers.  The “Ghana Solution” for gargling/oral toileting could protect Care Homes Residents. .
GHANA PRAISED FOR PROPER COVID-19 HANDLING
At the 75th Session of the UN General Assembly Ghana, led by PRESIDENT AKUFO-ADDO, President Nana Akufo-Addo was praised by Professor Jeffrey Sachs, Chairman, Lancet Commission for COVID-19, for successfully fighting COVID-19 despite challenges in its health. 
In his impressive Editorial in the Postgraduate Medical Journal of Ghana  Professor J D Seffah writes, “The fatality rate for most of the rest of the African countries has been much lower than in South Africa and North Africa but we do not know all the reasons”. Could one reason not be the favourite Ghanaian dish konotomire-kelewele-waakye that has a strong Fiona Godlee-Thomas Levy-William Li Vitamin C culinary bias, plus fish which with its known “anti-angiogenic and DNA-protective effects” ? Ghana’s impressive COVID-19 Statistics on Population 28,207,000 [323 dead from 51,569 cases] contrast devastatingly with the 300 Million USA-population [274,058 dead from 13,883,381 cases] - WHO November end 2020.
AFRICAN CHIEF’S DILEMMA: PROBLEM NOT VACCINATION, BUT VACCINATORS!
King (Konor) SAKITE II of Manya-Krobo [46 47], among the brightest of Ghana’s Paramount Chiefs, was interviewed about COVID-19. He is abreast of scientific developments. “It is Vaccinators, not Vaccination I warn my household against”, he said recalling Ghanaians’ problems resulting in the WHO-led Vaccinators leaving us alone in 2015. [48-55].
KONOR SAKITE said what is now called Vaccination had been practiced as “KADOBA” in Krobo-land to prevent Smallpox. “Kadoba” is making tiny cuts in the skin for Medicine-man to rub in something. It was a West African Slave named ONESIMUS who in 1721 saved Boston from Smallpox Decimation by advising his owner, Cotton Mather, to let pus from an infected person be rubbed into an open wound on the arm [56 57 58 59], preceding Edward Jenner.
KING SAKITE II concluded: “As PRESIDENT AKUFO-ADDO’s 18 impressive National Addresses in English, Twi, Ga helped to contain COVID-19  Why can’t I wait 12 months to see how the vaccinated in England and America fare before considering taking advice again from abroad?”
Native Wisdom, Indeed. Personally, ORTHOMOLECULAR is my Choice! 
Felix I D Konotey-Ahulu FGA MB BS MD (Lond) DSc(Hon UCC) DSc (Hon UH) FRCP (Lond) FRCP(Glasg) DTMH (L’pool) FGCP FWACP FTWAS ORDER OF THE VOLTA (OFFICER) Kwegyir Aggrey Distinguished Professor of Human Genetics University of Cape Coast, Ghana; Former Consultant Physician Genetic Counsellor in Sickle Cell and Other Haemoglobinopathies Korle Bu Teaching Hospital & Director Ghana Institute of Clinical Genetics, and 9 Harley Street, Phoenix Hospital Group, London W1G 9AL
1. Godlee Fiona. What we eat matters all the more now. BMJ 2020; 370.m:2840.
2. Johnson Boris. November 9 2020 – Prime Minister announces COVID-10 Vaccine by Pfizer and BION Tech www.bbc.com>world-54984108
3. Konotey-Ahulu FID. “Few can doubt we need a covid-19 vaccine as soon as possible ..”. Really? https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3258/rr-2
4. ZhiYong Peng. Vitamin C Infusion for the treatment of severe COVID-19 infected pneumonia. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/ NCT04264533 2 March 2020.
5. Jing Zhang, Xin Rao, Yiming Li, Yuian Zhu, Fang Liu, Guangling Guo, Guoshi Luo, Zhongi Meng, Daniel D Baker, Hui Xiang, Zhi-Yong Peng. High dose vitamin C infusion for the treatment of critically ill COVID-19/ Research Square 10 August 2020 www.researchsquare.com > article DOI: 10.21203/rs-3.rs-52778/v1
6. Cheng Richard Z Orthomolecular Nutrients http://orthomolecular.org/nutrients/index.shtml
7. Klenner F. 1951.Massive doses of Vitamin C and the virus diseases. Southern Medicine & Surgery. 103(4): 101-107. (April 1951).
8. Cheng Richard Z. Risk of Roundup Webcast: Can Vitamin C Prevent and Treat COVI-19? https://youtu.be/bnj5y6zxXYY 11th May 2020
9. Cheng Richard C. Protected Group Immunity, Not A Vaccine is the way to stop the COVID-19 Pandemic https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32328576 [OMNS April 30 2020]
10. Pauling Linus. Orthomolecular Psychiatry. Science April 19 1968.
11. Carter Stephen. Orthomolecular Medicine. Integrative Medicine (Encinitas). 2019, June; 18(3): 74
12. Pauling Linus, Itano HA, Singer SJ, Wells IC. Sickle cell anaemia: a molecular disease. Science 1949; 110:543-548.
13. Pauling Linus. The Significance of the Evidence about Ascorbic Acid and the Common Cold. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 1971. 68(11): 2678-2681.
14. Pauling Linus. Vitamin C and the Common Cold. Linus Pauling Institute. Oregon State University, 1970.
15. Pauling Linus. Vitamin C, THE Common Cold & Flu. New York, NY; Berkley Books, 1981.
16. Hoffer Abram, Pauling Linus. Vitamin C and Cancer: Discovery, Recovery, Controversy. 1979. [ISBN 10 1550820788 & ISBN 13 978-1550820782]
17. 21. Hickey Steve, Saul Andrew W. VITAMIN C: The Real Story. Basic Health Publications, Inc. ISBN 798-1-59120-223-3 www.basichealthpub.com Columbus OH
18. Konotey-Ahulu FID. Four bodyguards and the perils of unmasking scientific truths. www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/335/7612/210 doi:10.1136/bmj.39268.553021.47 BMJ 2007 [After giving the Keynote Address in Philadelphia at Dr Martin Luther King Jr Award Dinner Ceremony. Professor Pauling came to shake hands with me. Read in Link above why I was given 4 bodyguards in Philadelphia]
19. Konotey-Ahulu FID. COVID-19 Treatment with CHLOROQUINE or Intravenous VITAMIN C Requires Prior Exclusion of G6PD Deficiency! BMJ Rapid Response April 20 2020 https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1432/rr-21
20. Kaiser Joselin. Vitamin C kills tumour cells with hard-to-treat mutation. Nov 5 2015 SCIENCE-on-line & 2 March 2020
21. Lowe Derek Vitamin C and Immuno-oncology. Science Translational Magazine: IN THE PIPELINE 2 March 2020 blog.science.org [Lowe thinks Pro-oxidative damage rather than anti-oxidative damage does the damage molecularly]
22. WIKIPEDIA. Linus Pauling. en.wikipedia.org > wiki > Linus_Pa ..
[Wikipedia got facts wrong about Linus Pauling, and also about Krobo Tribe (See Reference 46. Why does this Universal Encyclopaedia not use published work by Ghanaians on Ghanaian historical facts? Krobo Tribe is NOT AKAN. Then also Wikipedia’s information on Tonal Language of Ga-Dangme-Krobo is totally false, as it insists on using non-Ghanaian sources for Ghanaian Language)]
23.. Cheng Richard C “The 3rd Large Dose Vitamin C Clinical Study for NCP Approval” on YouTube 21 February 2020.
24. Abbasi Kamran. Covid-19: Suppression of Science. EDITORIAL BMJ 2020; 371:m4425 Nov 2020, p 307 [ https://www.bmj.com/dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m4425 ] Politicisation, “corruption”, and suppression of science 13 November 2020.
25. Grant Ellen. Vitamin D and Vitamin C missing 17 November 2020 Re: Covid-19: politicisation, “corruption”, and suppression of science. Kamran Abbasi. 371: doi 10.1136/bmj.m4425. [Vitamin D too is also recorded as very useful Refence 24 below.]
26. Brown Robert A. Vitamin D Mitigates COVID-19. Say 40+ Patient Studies (listed below) – Yet BAME, Elderly, Care Homes, and Obese are still ‘D’ deficient, thus at greater risk – WHY? BMJ 2020; 371 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m3872 Oct 5.
27. Busby Martha. Holistic Approaches May Have Reduced Corona Virus Deaths at This London Hospital. 8 October 2020. “At Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in west London, a multidisciplinary approach to treating coronavirus patients may have led to a significant reduction in mortality among those with worst symptoms compared to the UK average, new research suggests.” @matthabusby WORLD CORONAVIRUS. October 8 2020.
28. Wilkinson E. COVID-19 anf High dose Vitamin C Re: RECOVERY trial: the UK COVID-19 study resetting expectations for clinical trials. BMJ 28 April 2020. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1626
29. Raul Hedra, Lo Bryan Kevin, Elbashabsheh Mohammad, Gul Fahad, Wright Robert Matthew, Abano Jeri, Azmaiparashvilli Zurab, Aponte Gabriel Patarroyo. The use of IV Vitamin C for patients with COVID-19: A Case Series. Original Research. https://doi.org/10.1080/14787210.2020.1794819 (Published online 01 Aug 2020. Expert Review of Anti-infective Therapy Volume 18, 2020 – Issue 12.
30. IV Boost UK. How to deliver Vitamin C into the Body During Lockdown ivboost.uk > how-to-effectively-deli …
31. Burne Jerome. There is a case for treating virus victims with vitamin C, say UK intensive care. HealthInsightUK August 28, 2020. healthinsightuk.org > 2020/08/28
32. PETITION.PARLIAMENT.UK. Offer Intravenous Vitamin C For Coronavirus patients – Petitions 13 April 2020. [Petition was Rejected: “We only reject petitions that don’t meet the PETITIONS STANDARDS”.
33. Grant Ellen CG. Life-saving high dose Vitamin D and Vitamin C 22 October Re: Covid-19’s known unkowns. Re: Covid 19’s known unknowns. BMJ 2020; 371:m3979 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m3979 19 October 2020. Smith George Davey, Blastland Michael, Munafo Marcus.
34. Li William. EAT TO BEAT DISEASE: The body’s five defence systems & the foods that could save your life. Vermilion London - Penguin Random House UK 2019. ISBN 9781785042157.
35. Levy Thomas E. Curing the Incurable. Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases, and Toxins. LivOn Books Third Edition 2009 www.LivOnBooks.com 1-866-790-2107 2654 W. Horizon Ridge Pkwy – Suite B-5, Dept 108, Henderson , NV 89052.
36. Cheng RZ. (2020) Preliminary Report of Chinese High Dose Vitamin C for COVID-19 Treatment Studies. Orthomolecular Medicine News Services (OMNS) http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n42.shtml
37. Abbasi Kamrin. Health is a political choice, and politics, and politics is a continuous struggle for power. BMJ, 369, Rapid Response https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m2102/rr-0
38. Doshi Peter. Pandemix vaccine: Why was public not told of early vaccine warning signs? BMJ 2018; 362:k3948 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k3948 20 September 2018
39. Godlee Fiona. Less haste, more safety. Editorial BMJ 2020; 370.m3258. August 22-29 2020.
40. Godlee Fiona. The need for new covid thinking and leadership. (EDITOR’S CHOICE). BMJ 2020; 371:m4358. [“this is the government’s single biggest, most persistent error. It could be rectified, but only if health professionals and health leaders speak out.”
41. Konotey-Ahulu FID. “Few can doubt we need we need a covid-19 vaccine as soon as possible …” Really? https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3258/rr-2 Re: Less haste, more safety. BMJ 2020; 370.m3258 22-29 August Vol 370.
42. Ayettey AS, Quakyi Isabella A, Ayettey-Anie Hannah NG, Sagoe Kwamena W, Ayettey-Adamafio Mary NB, Newman-Nartey Merley, Ayettey Brew Ruth NA, Nartey Nii Otu, Amoah Albert GB, Konotey-Ahulu FID. A Case for Hydrogen Peroxide Mouthwash and Gargle to limit SARS-CoV-2 Infection. BMJ July 2 2020 Rapid Response to COVID-19: What treatments are being investigated? BMJ 2020; 368: m1252.
43. Konotey-Ahulu FID, Quakyi Isabella A, Ayettey-Annie, Sagoe Kwamena W, Ayettey-Adamafio, Newman-Nartey Merley, Ayettey Brew Ruth N, Nartey Nii Out, Amoah Albert GB, Ayettey Andrews Seth. COVID-19: Efficient Protection of Contacts is Simpler than Imagined. Orthomolecular Medicine News Service (OMNS) http://orthomolecular.org/subscribe.html http://orthomolecular.org/omns/index.shml Orthomolecular.activehosted.com
44. African Eye Report Lancet COV-19 Commission. Accra, Wednesday 28 September 2020. Lancet COVID-19 COMMISSION Hails Ghana’s COVID-19 Efforts africaneyereport.com > lancet-covid
45. Seffah JD. EDITORIAL – COVID-19 Pandemic: Evolving Problems And Lessons Learnt. Post graduate Medical Journal of Ghana (PMJG) Vol 9 No. 2 pages 78-81. email@example.com https://.edu.gh/journal-current-volume/
46. KING (KONOR) Nene Sakite II. Brilliant Paramount Chief of the Manya Krobo Tribe ruling over several Millions. His great-grand-father was Konor Nene Sakite The First, whose father King (Konor) Odonkor Azzu born in 1785 (Nene Sakite’s great-great grand-father, [also FID Konotey-Ahulu’s great great maternal grand-father via Matekle route], and who reigned from 1811 to 1857 was the Manya Krobo King who gave a plot of land to German-Swiss Basel Missionaries post-1828 for Presbyterian Church still standing in Odumase-Krobo. For WIKIPEDIA to say the Krobos are part of the AKAN Group of Ghanaians undermines its “Encyclopaedia” credentials. (See Reference 22) [See Table of Genealogy in Reference 47 to show route of Sickle genes down to present generation. Impressed Prof. Linus Pauling in Philadelphia]
47. Konotey-Ahulu FID. Sickle Cell Disease in successive Ghanaian generations for there centuries. Chapter 2 in The Sickle Cell Disease Patient. Natural History from a clinico-epidemiological study of the first 1550 patients of Korle Bu Hospital Sickle Cell Clinic. [First Published 1991 and reprinted 1992 by The Macmillan Press Ltd, London and Basingstoke. Re-Published and Reprinted 1996 by TETTEH-A’DOMENO COMPANY (TADCO) Watford WD1 7NF ISBN 0-9515442-2-5 King (Konor) Nene Sakite The First is in same Generation V as his brother PETER NYAKO whose MATEKOLE Line delivered the Sickle Cell Gene through to my mother Christiana Matekole (Generation VII) who, with my also-Trait father produced 11 children, with the 4 of us receiving abnormal haemoglobin genes from both parents developed Sickle Cell Disease. Linus Pauling heard my Lecture tracing the Sickle Gene down to the 9th Generation. Hence my keen interest in his Vitamin C.
48. Konotey-Ahulu FID. Ebola and Ethics: “Are vaccine trials going on somewhere in Africa?”. BMJ Rapid Response http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2105/rr-5 June 2 2015
49. Konotey-Ahulu FID. Ebola and Ethics: Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences and Ghana Government Suspend Ebola Virus Vaccine Trials. BMJ Rapid Response 14 June 2015 http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2105/rr-7
50. Konotey-Ahulu FID. Ebola viewed through HIV/AIDS spectacles – What Africans think. BMJ Rapid Response. August 7 2015 www.bmj.com/351/bmj.h4142/rr-0 to Zosia Kmietowicz: Ebola vaccine trial results “extremely promising” says WHO. BMJ 351: h4192 July 31 2015.
51. Kardas-Nelson Mara. Ebola in Africa: Lessons learnt. BMJ 2019; 366:15012
52. Gerricke CE. Ebola and ethics: autopsy of a failure. BMJ 2015;350:h2105. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h2105
53. Anand JK. Ebola and ethics: autopsy of a failure http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2105/rr-4
54. Ritchie-Calder Lord. Annotations: The Biological Bomb. Lancet 1968; 1: 465. March 20.
55. Thairu Kihumbu. The African & The AIDS Holocaust: An Historical and Medical Perspective. Nairobi, Kenya 2003; Phoenix Publishers Ltd. ISBN 9966 47 1847.
56. Blackmore Erin www.history.com How an African Slave in Boston Helped Save Generations from Smallpox. In 1721 the smallpox epidemic wiped out 844 people in Boston, over 14 percent of the population. “Of the 242 people inoculated wise , only six died – one in 40, as opposed to one in seven deaths among the population of Boston who didn’t undergo the procedure”. So Kadoba-bush-treatment worked in civilized America.
57. Widmer Ted. The Boston Globe – How an African Slave helped Boston fight smallpox. 17 October 2014. “Centuries before Ebola, Cotton Mather faced down another global epidemic with a health tactic from abroad” www.bostonglobe.com
58. Black History Month February 3 2019. Onesimus Spreads Wisdom That Saves Lives of Bostonians. During a Smallpox Epidemic – History of Vaccines www.historyofvaccines.org > blog “This changed in 1721 thanks to the wisdom passed on from Onesimuis, An African slave sold to Cotton Mather, and influential Minister in Boston.
59. Wilkerson Isabel. The Origin of Our Discontents. Penguin Random House USA. This excellent book contains a detailed account of Onesimus, and his introduction of his African inoculation against smallpox.
60. AKUFO-ADDO NANA ADDO DANKWA. FULL TEXT – President Akufo-Addo’s 18th Address to the Nation on measures to fight Coronavirus – the message was in English, Twi, and Ga: He began “Fellow Ghanaians I am speaking to you tonight from Peduase Lodge …” and he concluded “Zero active cases must be the goal and I have no doubt that together, and with the help of GOD, this too shall pass, for the battle is still The LORD’s”
Competing interests: No competing interests