A persistent coughBMJ 2016; 354 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i4858 (Published 28 September 2016) Cite this as: BMJ 2016;354:i4858
- H L Adams, specialty registrar, radiology1,
- D C Howlett, consultant radiologist2
- 1Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals, Brighton, UK
- 2Department of Radiology, East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust, Eastbourne, UK
- Correspondence to: H L Adams
A 60 year old woman presented with a hoarse voice and persistent dry cough. Flexible nasendoscopy showed a smooth, round swelling on the posterior third of the tongue.
What abnormality is shown in the midline at the posterior tongue base on this axial T2 weighted magnetic resonance image (fig 1⇓)?
A cystic remnant of the thyroglossal duct (thyroglossal cyst).
The magnetic resonance image shows a thin walled, cystic lesion in the …