Allan St John DixonBMJ 2015; 351 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h3920 (Published 21 July 2015) Cite this as: BMJ 2015;351:h3920
- Anthony Clarke
In his time as a consultant in Bath from 1966 to 1986, Allan St John Dixon, one of the major figures in British rheumatology, helped raise the reputation of the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases to that of one of the premier rheumatology centres in the world, with an outstanding research programme and a reputation for postgraduate training that attracted young doctors, nurses, and therapists from around the globe. These activities were based on the excellent clinical care that drew patients from all over Britain and abroad.
Dixon was born in east London, within the sound of Bow Bells, to Percival Dixon, a mining engineer, and Florence, who was a member of the Devonian Lidstone family, who were prominent in the humanism movement. It was from this branch of the family that he developed two important interests of his life: humanism and carpentry.
He went to Bedales School on a violin scholarship and then to the Regent Street Polytechnic to study physics and organic chemistry. He then moved to Chelsea Polytechnic before attending Guy’s Hospital, where he …