Intended for healthcare professionals

Rapid response to:

Head To Head Head to Head

Can patients use test results effectively if they have direct access?

BMJ 2015; 350 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h673 (Published 11 February 2015) Cite this as: BMJ 2015;350:h673

Rapid Response:

Numeracy: Percent vs Percentage Point

"Clinicians recognise that a 1% change in haemoglobin A1c is highly meaningful"

I presume you mean a "1 percentage point" change, EG from 7.5% to 8.5%

A "1% change" can refer to either a change from 7.5% to 8.5% or a change from 7.5% to 7.575% - which would not be highly meaningful.

Which provides further evidence that numeracy around test results can be a minefield.

Competing interests: No competing interests

12 February 2015
Dylan Summers
GP
32 Clifton, York