Does UK surgical training provide enough experience to meet today’s training requirements?BMJ 2015; 350 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h2503 (Published 11 May 2015) Cite this as: BMJ 2015;350:h2503
- Charlotte Thomas, year 8 specialty trainee in general surgery, Wales Deanery,
- Gareth Griffiths, chair of the Specialty Advisory Committee in General Surgery, Joint Committee on Surgical Training, London,
- Tarig Abdelrahman, year 6 specialty trainee and education fellow in general surgery, Wales Deanery,
- Cristel Santos, data analyst, Joint Committee on Surgical Training, London,
- Wyn Lewis, head of School of Surgery, Wales Deanery
Charlotte Thomas and colleagues examine whether current guidelines for obtaining a certificate of completion of training are achievable within contemporary UK surgical training
We thank WH Allum, chair of the Joint Committee on Surgical Training, for his helpful comments in the preparation of the manuscript. We also thank all the staff in the Joint Committee on Surgical Training office for assisting in data collection, and in particular Darren Blake, David Calderon, Paramjit Kaur, Christina Kourousiapkou, and Encarna Manzano.
Competing interests: We have read and understood BMJ’s policy on declaration of interests and declare: None.