Support in the early years of life is crucial to reducing obesityBMJ 2014; 348 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g2712 (Published 14 April 2014) Cite this as: BMJ 2014;348:g2712
- David C Taylor-Robinson, senior lecturer in public health1,
- Dominic Harrison, director of public health2,
- Ben Barr, senior lecturer in public health1
- 1Department of Public Health and Policy, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3GB, UK
- 2Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, Blackburn, UK
Howard and Davies note that “understanding of the complex causes of obesity has improved but remains incomplete.”1 One thing that is clear, however, is the stark association between growing up in poverty and the risk of being overweight or obese (figure⇓).