Findings of Danish study on risk of colon cancer in bisphosphonate users were misinterpretedBMJ 2013; 346 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f1514 (Published 12 March 2013) Cite this as: BMJ 2013;346:f1514
- Bo Abrahamsen, professor1,
- Michael Pazianas, visiting senior fellow2,
- R Graham G Russell, professor2
- 1University of Southern Denmark, DK 5000, Odense C, Denmark
- 2Oxford University Institute of Musculoskeletal Sciences, Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Diseases, Oxford, UK
Vinogradova and colleagues misinterpreted the findings of our Danish national cohort study on the risk of colon cancer in bisphosphonate users.1 2 Moreover, they did not account for possible bias due to the longer survival of bisphosphonate users in the type of case-control studies that they performed.
Risk was reduced in long term bisphosphonate users (more than six months) in …