For healthcare professionals only


Surgeon whose “mistake” left four year old boy with colostomy bag gets three month suspension

BMJ 2012; 344 doi: (Published 28 May 2012) Cite this as: BMJ 2012;344:e3770
  1. Clare Dyer
  1. 1BMJ

A consultant paediatric surgeon who injected a 4 year old boy with a potentially fatal 80% solution of phenol after removing a haemorrhoid has been suspended from practice for three months for his “catastrophic” error.

Gyorgy Rakoczy told a General Medical Council fitness to practise panel that he had “nightmares” after the mistake, which meant that the boy had to have part of his bowel removed and be fitted with a colostomy bag.

Rakoczy was handed the 80% liquid phenol by a nurse, instead of 5% oily …

View Full Text

Log in

Log in through your institution


* For online subscription