Philip Allan King-LewisBMJ 2008; 337 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.a3063 (Published 22 December 2008) Cite this as: BMJ 2008;337:a3063
- Peter Turnpenny
Philip Allan King-Lewis worked in the NHS from 1964 to 1975, during his postgraduate training years, and again from 1988 until his retirement in 1998. However, the most significant part of his career took place between 1975 and 1988, when he worked as a physician and haematologist at the Nazareth Hospital, Israel—owned by the Edinburgh Medical Missionary Society (now EMMS Nazareth). It is quite possible he would have served longer in Nazareth had it not been for increasing immobility due to multiple sclerosis, diagnosed in 1979.
Philip went up to New College, Oxford, in 1958 and proceeded to the Middlesex Hospital for his clinical studies, from where he graduated in 1965, and house jobs. His junior postgraduate years were spent in a variety of posts that included Farnborough (Kent) and Billericay Hospitals, and he obtained the DRCOG besides the MRCP. En route to …