Intended for healthcare professionals

Career Focus

I have done my MD in dermatology at JIPMER, India. The degree is recognised by the Medical Council of India. Can I do the MRCP (dermatology)?

BMJ 2007; 334 doi: (Published 31 March 2007) Cite this as: BMJ 2007;334:s114
  1. John Lear, consultant dermatologist
  1. Hope Hospital, Salford


Have a career related problem that needs answering? Can't find the person to point you in the right direction? Log on to the Advice Zone for reliable medical careers advice. You can post a question or see if one of our 300 advisers has already answered a similar question. Here is a selection of questions and answers posted on the site

There is no such qualification as MRCP (dermatology). Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) is a general medical qualification which is usually needed to progress to specialist training in dermatology. You should contact the Royal College of Physicians to check whether your previous qualifications exempt you from any part of the MRCP examination.




    More than 2000 doctors and medical students have already posted their queries on the Advice Zone ( on everything from exams and career choices to maternity leave or bullying bosses. Read what our advisers have suggested, or submit your own question to the panel.


    If you have anything helpful to add—perhaps you have been in a similar situation yourself—then you can post your own comments on the Advice Zone by going to the relevant section, then select the question and simply click the Reply to Question button. Alternatively, you can send a rapid response.

View Abstract