Assessment of generalisability in trials of health interventions: suggested framework and systematic reviewBMJ 2006; 333 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.333.7563.346 (Published 10 August 2006) Cite this as: BMJ 2006;333:346
Posted as supplied by the authors
w1.Grosskurth H, Gray R, Hayes R, Mabey D, Wawer M. Control of sexually transmitted diseases for HIV-1 prevention: understanding the implications of the Mwanza and Rakai trials. Lancet 2000; 355:1981-1987.
w2.Mays N, Pope C, Popay J. Systematically reviewing qualitative and quantitative evidence to inform management and policy-making in the health field. J Health Serv Res Policy 2005; 10(Suppl 1): 6-20
w3.Grosskurth H, Kumaranayake L. Generalizability of trials and implementation of research into practice. In Stephenson J, Imrie J, Bonell C eds. Effective Sexual Health Interventions: Issues in Experimental Evaluation. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003: 169-190.
w4.Altman DD. Sustaining interventions in community systems: on the relationship between researchers and communities. Health Psychol 1995; 14(6): 526-536.
w5.Munguti K, Grosskurth K, Newell J, Senkoro K, Mosha F, Todd J et al. Patterns of sexual behaviour in a rural population in north-western Tanzania. Soc Sci Med 1997; 44: 1553-1661.
w6.Weiser S, Wolfe W, Bangsberg D, Thior I, Gilbert P, Makhema J et al. Barriers to antiretroviral adherence for patients living with HIV infection and AIDS in Botswana. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2003; 34(3): 281-288.
w7.Kelly JA. Popular opinion leaders and HIV prevention peer education: resolving discrepant findings, and implications for the development of effective community programmes.AIDS Care 2004; 16(2)139-150.
w8.Langley A, JL Denis, Lamothe L. Process research in health care: towards three-dimensional learning. Policy Polit 2003; 31(2): 195-206.
w9.Calnan M, Ferlie E. Analysing process in health care: the methodological and theoretical challenges. Policy Polit 2003; 31(2): 185-193.
w10.Herbert RD, Bo K. Analysis of quality of interventions in systematic reviews. BMJ 2005; 331(7515): 507-509.
- Research Published: 17 April 2008; BMJ 336 doi:10.1136/bmj.39517.495764.25
- Education And Debate Published: 16 September 2000; BMJ 321 doi:10.1136/bmj.321.7262.694
- ResearchApplicability and generalisability of published results of randomised controlled trials and non-randomised studies evaluating four orthopaedic procedures: methodological systematic reviewPublished: 17 November 2009; BMJ 339 doi:10.1136/bmj.b4538
- PaperA cognitive behavioural intervention to reduce sexually transmitted infections among gay men: randomised trialPublished: 16 June 2001; BMJ 322 doi:10.1136/bmj.322.7300.1451
- Analysis And Comment Published: 16 February 2006; BMJ 332 doi:10.1136/bmj.332.7538.413
- Research Methods & ReportingCONSORT 2010 Explanation and Elaboration: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trialsPublished: 24 March 2010; BMJ 340 doi:10.1136/bmj.c869
- ResearchTeenage pregnancy and social disadvantage: systematic review integrating controlled trials and qualitative studiesPublished: 13 November 2009; BMJ 339 doi:10.1136/bmj.b4254
- Constitutional symptoms in a young personBMJ December 07, 2016, 355 i5781; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5781
- An adolescent with disabling abdominal painBMJ December 07, 2016, 355 i6101; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6101
- Andrew Wakefield calls Trump “on our side” over vaccines after meetingBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6545; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6545
- Doctors in Pakistan call for workers deported from the UAE to be screened for HIVBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6544; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6544
- Communicating risk to patients in the emergency departmentBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6437; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6437
- Will it work here? A realist approach to local decisions about implementing interventions evaluated as effective elsewhere
- Process evaluations in neurological rehabilitation: a mixed-evidence systematic review and recommendations for future research
- Protocol for process evaluation of a randomised controlled trial of family-led rehabilitation post stroke (ATTEND) in India
- Alternatives to randomisation in the evaluation of public health interventions: design challenges and solutions
- CONSORT 2010 Explanation and Elaboration: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials
- Generalizing the Results of Cancer Clinical Trials
- Applicability and generalisability of published results of randomised controlled trials and non-randomised studies evaluating four orthopaedic procedures: methodological systematic review
- Teenage pregnancy and social disadvantage: systematic review integrating controlled trials and qualitative studies
- Internal and external validity of cluster randomised trials: systematic review of recent trials
- Effectiveness of pharmacist intervention for asthma control improvement
- Measurement of long-term outcomes in observational and randomised controlled trials