Former consultant rheumatologist London (b London 18 March 1921;
q Cambridge 1944; MA, MD, FRCP), died peacefully on 1 October 2005.
After several house appointments John served in the Royal Air Force
from 1947 to 1949. He was awarded a Fulbright scholarship at New York
University in 1952. In 1959 he was appointed senior registrar in rheumatology
at The London Hospital.
John was a member of Dr W S C Copeman’s team carrying out pioneering
research into the use of steroids in rheumatoid arthritis. He wrote his MD
thesis on this and contributed several publications on the subject.
He was appointed consultant rheumatologist at the Prince of Wales
Hospital, Tottenham, in 1970 and later became consultant rheumatologist at the
St Charles and St Mary’s Rehabilitation Centre. He was also honorary consultant
to St Dunstan’s and to Osborne House KE Convalescent Home.
He leaves a wife, Daphne; two children; and six grandchildren. [K W Symons]