Applying clinical epidemiological methods to health equity: the equity effectiveness loopBMJ 2006; 332 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.332.7537.358 (Published 09 February 2006) Cite this as: BMJ 2006;332:358
Acknowledgements: We thank Kara Hanson, Betsy Kristjansson, Christian Lengeler, Gord Guyatt, and David Sackett for their comments on earlier drafts of this manuscript.
Contributors: PT is the guarantor for this paper, who had the idea for the paper, accepts full responsibility for the finished article, had access to all data, and controlled the decision to publish. DdS, GH, and VR contributed substantially to the acquisition and interpretation of data, drafted sections of the article, revised the article critically for important intellectual content and gave final approval of this version to be published.
Funding: PT is funded by the Canada Research Chair in Health Equity and a seed funding grant from the Rockefeller Foundation. GH is supported by a Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Scientist Award and as the F M Hill Professor in Academic Women’s Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women’s College Health Sciences Centre.
Competing interests: None declared.
Ethical approval: Not required.
- World Health Organization. The world health report 1999. Geneva: WHO, 1999.
- Health Canada. Toward a healthy future: second report on the health of Canadians. Ottawa: Minister of Public Works and Government Services, 1999.
- Wilkins R, Adams O. Healthfulness of life, a unified view of mortality, institutionalization and non-institutionalized disability in Canada. Montreal: Institute for Research on Public Policy, 1983.
- Wilkinson RG. Unhealthy societies. The afflictions of inequality. London: Routledge, 1996.
- Diderichsen F, Evans T, Whitehead M. The social basis of disparities in health. In: Evans T, Whitehead M, Diderichsen F, Bhuiya A, Wirth M, eds. Challenging inequities in health. From ethics to action. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001:13-23.
- United Nations. Millennium development goals. Geneva: UN, 2001. www.developmentgoals.org/index.html (accessed 15 Aug 2005).
- Bambas L, Mahmood Q. Global Equity Gauge Alliance. Course reader. Health equity—research to action. Cape Town: School of Public Health, University of the Western Cape, 2004. www.gega.org.za/download/ResearchtoAction04.pdf (accessed 21 Jan 2006).
- Tugwell P, Bennett KJ, Sackett DL, Haynes RB. The measurement iterative loop: a framework for the critical appraisal of need, benefits and costs of health interventions. J Chron Dis 1985;38:339-51.
- Canadian Task Force on the Periodic Health Exam. The Canadian guide to clinical preventive health care. Ottawa: Health Canada, 2001.
- Marmot M. Inequalities in health. N Engl J Med 2001;345:134-6.
- Kaplan GA, Keil JE. Socioeconomic factors and cardiovascular disease: a review of the literature. Circulation 1993;88:1973-97.
- McKinlay JB. The promotion of health through planned sociopolitical change: challenges for research and policy. Soc Sci Med 1993;36:109-17.
- Sachs J, Malaney P. The economic and social burden of malaria. Nature 2002;415:680-5.
- Filmer D. Fever and its treatment among the more and less poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Geneva: World Bank, 2000. http://poverty.worldbank.org/files/8105_fever.pdf (accessed 4 Aug 2005).
- Nathan R, Masanja H, Mshinda H, Schellenberg JA, de Savigny D, Lengeler C, et al. Mosquito nets and the poor: can social marketing redress inequities in access? Trop Med Int Health 2004;9:1121-6.
- Murray CJL, Lopez AD, eds. The global burden of disease: a comprehensive assessment of the mortality and disability from diseases, injuries and risk factors in 1990 and projected to 2020. Boston: Harvard School of Public Health, World Health Organization, World Bank, 1996.
- Gabriel SE. Update on the epidemiology of the rheumatic diseases. Curr Opin Rheumatol 1996;8:96-100.
- Reynolds D, Torrance GW, Badley EM, Bennett KJ, Chambers LW, Goldsimth CH, et al. Modelling the population health impact of musculoskeletal diseases: arthritis. J Rheumatol 1993;20:1037-47.
- Cunningham LS, Kelsey JL. Epidemiology of musculoskeletal impairments and associated disability. Am J Publ Health 1984;74:574-9.
- Leigh JP, Fries JF. Occupation, income and education as independent covariates of arthritis in four national probability samples. Arthritis Rheum 1991;34:984-95.
- Badley EM, Ibanez D. Socioeconomic risk factors and musculoskeletal disability. J Rheumatol 1994;21:515-22.
- Kaplan RM, Alcaraz JE, Anderson JP, Weisman M. Quality-adjusted life years lost to arthritis: effects of gender, race and socioeconomic status. Arthritis Care Res 1996;9:473-82.
- Sackett DL, Haynes RB, Guyatt GH, Tugwell P. Clinical epidemiology. A basic science for clinical medicine. Boston: Little, Brown, 1985.
- Lengeler C. Insecticide-treated bed nets and curtains for preventing malaria. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004;(2):CD000363.
- Lengeler C, Snow RW. From efficacy to effectiveness: insecticide-treated bednets in Africa. Bull World Health Organ 1996;74:325-32.
- Nathan R, Armstrong-Schellenberg J, Masanja H, Sosthenes C, Mukasa O, Mshinda H. Child health equity in Rural Tanzania: Can national millennium development goals include the poorest? In: INDEPTH Network, eds. Measuring health equity in small areas: findings from demographic surveillance systems. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2005.
- Grabowsky M, Nobiya T, Ahun M, Donna R, Lengor M, Zimmerman D, et al. Distributing insecticide-treated bednets during measles vaccination: a low-cost means of achieving high and equitable coverage. Bull World Health Organization 2005;83:195-201.
- Philips-Howard PA, Nahlen BL, Kolczak MS, Hightower AW, ter Kuile FO, Alaii JA, et al. Efficacy of permethrin-treated bed nets in the prevention of mortality in young children in an area of high perennial malaria transmission in western Kenya. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2003;68:23-9.
- Hawker GA, Wright JG, Glazier RH, Coyte PC, Harvey B, Williams JI, et al. The effect of education and income on need and willingness to undergo total joint arthroplasty. Arthritis Rheum 2002;46:3331-9.
- van Walraven CV, Peterson JM, Kapral M, Chan B., Bell M, Hawker G, et al. Appropriateness of primary total hip and knee replacements in regions of Ontario with high and low utilization rates. CMAJ 1996;155:697-706.
- Wagstaff A. Inequality aversion, health inequalities and health achievement. J Health Econ 2002;21:627-41.
- Clarke PM, Gerdtham UG, Connelly LB. A note on the decomposition of the health concentration index. Health Econ 2003;12:511-6.
- Hanson K, Kikumbih N, Schellenberg JA, Mponda H, Nathan R, Lake S, et al. Cost-effectiveness of social marketing of insecticide-treated nets for malaria control in the United Republic of Tanzania. Bull World Health Organ 2003;81:269-76.
- Liang MH, Cullen KE, Larson MG, Thomson MS, Schwartz JA, Fosell AH, et al. Cost-effectiveness of total joint arthroplasty in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1986;29:937-43.
- Chang RW, Pellisier JM, Sacks JJ, Langmaid G. A cost-effectiveness analysis of total hip arthroplasty for osteoarthritis of the hip. JAMA 1996;275:858-65.
- Jonsson H, Larsson BJ. Functional improvement and costs of hip and knee arthroplasty in destructive rheumatoid arthritis. Scan J Rheumatol 1991;20:351-7.
- Bunker JP, Frazier HS, Mostellar F. Improving health: Measuring effects of medical care. Milbank Quarterly 1994;72:225-58.
- Birdsell JM, Atkinson-Grosjean J, Landry R. Knowledge translation in two new programs: achieving "he Pasteur effect." Ottawa: Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 2002. www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/aboutpdf_24045.htm (accessed 4 Aug 4 2005).
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Knowledge translation overview. Ottawa: Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 2003.
- Mittlemark MB. Promoting social responsibility for health: health impact and health public policy at the community level. Doctoral thesis. Bergen: University of Bergen, 2001.
- Davis D, Evans M, Jadad A, Perrier L, Rath D, Sibbald G, et al. The case for knowledge translation: shortening the journey from evidence to effect. BMJ 2003;327:33-5.
- Grimshaw JM, Shirran L, Thomas R, Mowatt G, Fraser C, Bero L, et al. Changing provider behavior: an overview of systematic reviews of interventions. Med Care 2001;39:I12-I45.
- Briggs CJ, Capdegelle P, Garner P. Strategies for integrating primary health services in middle- and low-income countries: effects on performance, costs and patient outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001;(4):CD003318.
- Giuffrida A, Gosden T, Forland F, Kristiansen IS, Sergison M, Leese B, et al. Target payments in primary care: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000;(3):CD000531.
- Mowatt G, Grimshaw JM, Davis DA, Mazmanian PE. Getting evidence into practice: the work of the Cochrane Effective Practice and Organization of care Group (EPOC). J Contin Educ Health Prof 2001;21:55-60.
- Zwarenstein M, Bryant W. Interventions to promote collaboration between nurses and doctors. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000;(2):CD000072.
- Thamlikitkul V, Ruiz JG, Lozano JM, Ghosh CS, Dans A, Jeyaseelan L. Knowledge management program (part II): INCLEN knowledge plus project, symposium. In: International Clinical Epidemiology Network (INCLEN) Global Meeting XX "Leveraging research through policy and practice". Agra, India: February 11-14, 2004.
- Schellenberg JR, Abdulla S, Nathan R, Mukasa O, Marchant TJ, Kikumbih N, et al. Effect of large-scale social marketing of insecticide-treated nets on child survival in rural Tanzania. Lancet 2001;357:1241-7.
- Epstein AM, Taylor WC, Seage GRI. Effects of patients’ socioeconomic status and physicians training and practice on patient-doctor communication. Am J Med 1985;78:101-6.
- Van Ryn M, Burke J. The effect of patient race and socio-economic status on physicians’ perceptions of patients. Soc Sci Med 2000;50:813-28.
- Britton A, Shipley M, Marmot M, Hemingway H. Does access to cardiac investigation and treatment contribute to social and ethnic differences in coronary heart disease? Whitehall II prospective cohort study. BMJ 2004;329:318-20.
- Global Equity Gauge Alliance. Equity gauge: an approach to monitorring equity in health and health care in developing countries. Durban: Health Systems Trust, 2001. www.gega.org.za/download/gega_gauge.pdf (accessed 4 Aug 2005).
- AbouZahr C, Boerma T. Health information systems: the foundations of public health. Bull World Health Organ 2005;83:578-83.
- Mwageni E, Masanja H, Juma Z, Momburi D, Mkilindi Y, Mbuya C, et al. Socio-economic status and health inequalities in rural Tanzania: Evidence from the Rufiji demographic surveillance system. In: INDEPTH Network, eds. Measuring health equity in small areas. London: Ashgate, 2005:39-52.
- ResearchPotential of trans fats policies to reduce socioeconomic inequalities in mortality from coronary heart disease in England: cost effectiveness modelling studyPublished: 15 September 2015; BMJ 351 doi:10.1136/bmj.h4583
- Research Methods & ReportingAssessing equity in systematic reviews: realising the recommendations of the Commission on Social Determinants of HealthPublished: 13 September 2010; BMJ 341 doi:10.1136/bmj.c4739
- Analysis Published: 20 September 2018; BMJ 362 doi:10.1136/bmj.k3597
- Edzard Ernst blames rise in measles on increased popularity of complementary and alternative therapiesBMJ August 22, 2019, 366 l5263; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l5263
- Vaping: CDC investigates severe lung injuriesBMJ August 20, 2019, 366 l5228; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l5228
- MMR vaccine: Johnson urges new impetus to increase uptake as UK loses measles-free statusBMJ August 20, 2019, 366 l5219; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l5219
- Clostridioides difficile: diagnosis and treatmentsBMJ August 20, 2019, 366 l4609; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l4609
- Will a new doctor emerge from Sierra Leone’s Ebola epidemic?BMJ August 19, 2019, 366 l5161; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l5161
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction and meniscal repair rates have both increased in the past 20 years in England: hospital statistics from 1997 to 2017
- Lowering hospital walls to achieve health equity
- Development and validation of a cardiovascular disease risk-prediction model using population health surveys: the Cardiovascular Disease Population Risk Tool (CVDPoRT)
- Potential of trans fats policies to reduce socioeconomic inequalities in mortality from coronary heart disease in England: cost effectiveness modelling study
- Integrating Racial/Ethnic Equity Into Policy Assessments To Improve Child Health
- Reducing social inequalities in health: the role of simulation modelling in chronic disease epidemiology to evaluate the impact of population health interventions
- Adverse effects of public health interventions: a conceptual framework
- What types of interventions generate inequalities? Evidence from systematic reviews
- Predictive risk algorithms in a population setting: an overview
- Reducing regional inequality in mortality from road traffic injuries through enforcement of the mandatory motorcycle helmet law in Taiwan
- Responsibility of sport and exercise medicine in preventing and managing chronic disease: applying our knowledge and skill is overdue
- Quality of Nonpharmacological Care in the Community for People with Knee and Hip Osteoarthritis
- Assessing equity in systematic reviews: realising the recommendations of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health
- Treating HIV in Africa: Case report from rural Congo
- Assessment of a national voucher scheme to deliver insecticide-treated mosquito nets to pregnant women
- Changes in the Incidence of Endstage Renal Disease Due to Lupus Nephritis in the United States, 1996-2004
- The UK quality and outcomes framework