Practice BMJ Learning
Urinary tract infections in women: diagnosis and management in primary careBMJ 2006; 332 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.332.7533.94 (Published 12 January 2006) Cite this as: BMJ 2006;332:94
Extra references (posted as supplied by author)
- Bailey BL Jr. Urinalysis predictive of urine culture results. J Fam Pract 1995;40(1):45-50.
- Ikaheimo R, Siitonen A, Heiskanen T, Karkkainen U, Kuosmanen P, Lipponen P, et al. Recurrence of urinary tract infection in a primary care setting: analysis of a 1-year follow-up of 179 women. Clin Infect Dis 1996;22(1):91-9.
- Scholes D, Hooton TM, Roberts PL, Stapleton AE, Gupta K, Stamm WE. Risk factors for recurrent urinary tract infection in young women. J Infect Dis 2000;182(4):1177-82.
- Fihn SD. Acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection in women. N Engl J Med 2003;349(3):259-66.
- Fihn SD, Latham RH, Roberts P, Running K, Stamm WE. Association between diaphragm use and urinary tract infection. JAMA 1985;254(2):240-5.
- Fihn SD, Boyko EJ, Chen CL, Normand EH, Yarbro P, Scholes D. Use of spermicide-coated condoms and other risk factors for urinary tract infection caused by Staphylococcus saprophyticus. Arch Intern Med 1998;158(3):281-7.
- Nicolle LE. Urinary tract infection: traditional pharmacologic therapies. Am J Med 2002;113(1, Supplement 1):35-44.
- Ronald AR, Boutros P, Mourtada H. Bacteriuria localization and response to single-dose therapy in women. JAMA 1976;235(17):1854-6.
- Saint S, Scholes D, Fihn SD, Farrell RG, Stamm WE. The effectiveness of a clinical practice guideline for the management of presumed uncomplicated urinary tract infection in women. Am J Med 1999;106(6):636-41.
- Fenwick EA, Briggs AH, Hawke CI. Management of urinary tract infection in general practice: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Br J Gen Pract 2000;50(457):635-9.
- Vinson DR, Quesenberry CP Jr. The safety of telephone management of presumed cystitis in women. Arch Intern Med 2004;164(9):1026-9.
- Semeniuk H, Church D. Evaluation of the leukocyte esterase and nitrite urine dipstick screening tests for detection of bacteriuria in women with suspected uncomplicated urinary tract infections. J Clin Microbiol 1999;37(9):3051-2.
- Winkens RA, Leffers P, Trienekens TA, Stobberingh EE. The validity of urine examination for urinary tract infections in daily practice. Fam Pract 1995;12(3):290-3.
- McIsaac WJ, Low DE, Biringer A, Pimlott N, Evans M, Glazier R. The impact of empirical management of acute cystitis on unnecessary antibiotic use. Arch Intern Med 2002;162(5):600-5.
- Hurlbut TA III, Littenberg B. The diagnostic accuracy of rapid dipstick tests to predict urinary tract infection. Am J Clin Pathol 1991;96(5):582-8.
- Stamm WE, Wagner KF, Amsel R, Alexander ER, Turck M, Counts GW, et al. Causes of the acute urethral syndrome in women. N Engl J Med 1980;303(8):409-15.
- Kunin CM, White LV, Hua TH. A reassessment of the importance of "low-count" bacteriuria in young women with acute urinary symptoms. Ann Intern Med 1993;119(6):454-60.
- Fowler JE Jr, Pulaski ET. Excretory urography, cystography, and cystoscopy in the evaluation of women with urinary-tract infection: a prospective study. N Engl J Med 1981;304(8):462-5.
- Hamilton-Miller JM. The urethral syndrome and its management. J Antimicrob Chemother 1994;33:Suppl-73.
- Brumfitt W, Hamilton-Miller JM, Gillespie WA. The mysterious "urethral syndrome". BMJ 1991;303(6793):1-2.
- Managing urinary tract infection in women. Drug Ther Bull 1998;36(4):30-2.
- Baerheim A, Digranes A, Hunskaar S. Equal symptomatic outcome after antibacterial treatment of acute lower urinary tract infection and the acute urethral syndrome in adult women. Scand J Prim Health Care 1999;17(3):170-3.
- Nickel JC. Interstitial cystitis: a chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Med Clin North Am 2004;88(2):467-81, xii.
- Ueda T. Interstitial cystitis and frequency-urgency syndrome (OAB syndrome). Int J Urol 2003;10 Suppl:S39-S48.
- Hummers-Pradier E, Ohse AM, Koch M, Heizmann WR, Kochen MM. Management of urinary tract infections in female general practice patients. Fam Pract 2005;22(1):71-7.
- Gupta K, Hooton TM, Stamm WE. Increasing antimicrobial resistance and the management of uncomplicated community-acquired urinary tract infections. Ann Intern Med 2001;135(1):41-50.
- Jepson RG, Mihaljevic L, Craig J. Cranberries for preventing urinary tract infections. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004;(2):CD001321.
- Hooton TM, Stamm WE. Diagnosis and treatment of uncomplicated urinary tract infection. Infect Dis Clin North Am 1997;11(3):551-81.
- Hooton TM. The current management strategies for community-acquired urinary tract infection. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2003;17(2):303-32.
- Leibovici L, Wysenbeek AJ. Single-dose antibiotic treatment for symptomatic urinary tract infections in women: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. Q J Med 1991;78(285):43-57.
- Delzell JE. Urinary tract infections during pregnancy. Am Fam Physician 2000;61(3):713-21.
- Stapleton A. Urinary tract infections in patients with diabetes. Am J Med 2002;113(1, Supplement 1):80-4.
- Robinson D, Cardozo L. Oestrogens and the lower urinary tract. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2004;111(s1):10-4.
- Primary Care Published: 20 November 2003; BMJ 327 doi:10.1136/bmj.327.7425.1204
- Review Published: 23 February 2006; BMJ 332 doi:10.1136/bmj.332.7539.496-a
- Practice Published: 05 April 2012; BMJ 344 doi:10.1136/bmj.e2339
- Practice Published: 02 December 2013; BMJ 347 doi:10.1136/bmj.f6772
- Covid-19: Omicron variant is linked to steep rise in hospital admissions of very young childrenBMJ January 14, 2022, 376 o110; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.o110
- Covid-19: Omicron drives weekly record high in global infectionsBMJ January 11, 2022, 376 o66; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.o66
- Omicron: South Africa says fourth wave peak has passed as it lifts curfewBMJ January 05, 2022, 376 o7; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.o7
- Covid-19: South Africa’s surge in cases deepens alarm over omicron variantBMJ December 03, 2021, 375 n3013; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n3013
- Could rural China’s healthcare deal with covid-19?BMJ November 25, 2021, 375 n2759; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n2759
- Treatment of uncomplicated UTI in males: a systematic review of the literature
- Antibiotic-induced changes in the human gut microbiota for the most commonly prescribed antibiotics in primary care in the UK: a systematic review
- Challenges in managing urinary tract infection and the potential of a point-of-care test guided care in primary care: an international qualitative study
- Illustrations reduce contamination of midstream urine samples in the emergency department
- A prospective study comparing contamination rates between a novel mid-stream urine collection device (Peezy) and a standard method in renal patients
- Investigating polyuria
- Interpreting and investigating proteinuria
- Antibiotic Resistance in Urinary Isolates of Escherichia coli from College Women with Urinary Tract Infections
- Hit Parade