Frozen shoulderBMJ 2005; 331 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.331.7530.1453 (Published 15 December 2005) Cite this as: BMJ 2005;331:1453
Posted as supplied by author.
w1 Codman EA (ed) Tendinitis of the short rotators in The Shoulder: Rupture of the supraspinatus tendon and other lesions in or about the subacromial bursa. Boston, MA, Thomas Todd and Co, 1934.
w2Duplay ES: De La Periarthotescapulohumerale. Arch Gen Med 1872;20:513-542.
w3Naviesar JS Adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder. JBJS 1945;27:211-222.
w4Lundberg BJ. The frozen shoulder.Clinical and radiographical observations.The effect of manipulation under general anesthesia. Structure and glycosaminoglycan content of the joint capsule. Local bone metabolism.
ActaOrthop Scand Suppl 1969;119:1-59.
w5Hannafin J, Chiaia T. Adhesive capsulitis. ClinOrthop 2000;372: 95-109.
w6 Cameron R, McMillan J, Kelly I. Recurrence of a ‘primary frozen shoulder’: a case report. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2000;9:65-7.
w7 Lequesne M, Bang N, Bensasson M, Mery C. Increased association of diabetes mellitus with capsulitis of the shoulder and shoulder-hand syndrome. Scandinavian J Rheumatol 1977;6:53-6.
w8Sattar MA, Luqman WA. Periarthritis: another duration-related complication of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 1985;8:507-10.
w9 Smith S, Devaraj V, Bunker T. The association between frozen shoulder and Dupuytren’s disease. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2001;10:149-51.
w10Wohlgethan J. Frozen shoulder in hyperthyroidism. Arthritis Rheum 1987;30:936-9.
w11 Bowman C, Jeffcoate WJ, Pattrick M, Doherty M. Bilateral adhesive capsulitis, oligoarthritis and proximal myopathy as presentation of hypothyroidism. Br J Rheum 1988;27:62-4.
w12 Choy E, Corkill M, Gibson T, Hicks B. Isolated ACTH deficiency presenting with bilateral frozen shoulder. Br J rheum 1991;30:226-7.
w13 Riley D, Lang A, Blair R, Birnbaum A, Reid B. Frozen shoulder and other shoulder disturbances in Parkinson’s disease. J NeurolNeurosurgPsychiatr 1989;52:63-6.
w14 Boyle-Walker K, Gabard GL, Bietsch E, Masek-Van Arsdale DM, Robinson DL. A profile of patients with adhesive capsulitis. J Hand Ther 1997;10:222-8.
w15 Wadsworth C. Frozen shoulder. Phys Ther 1986;66:1878-83.
w16Jayson M. Frozen shoulder: adhesive capsulitis. Br Med J (ClinRes ed) 1981;283:1005-6.
w17 Tuten H, Young D, Douoguih W et al. Adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder in male cardiac surgery patients. Orthopaedics 2000;23:693-6.
w18 Pineda C, Arana B, Martinez-Lavin M, Dabague J. Frozen shoulder triggered by cardiac catheterisation via the brachial artery. Am J Med 1994;96:90-1.
w19Bruckner FE, Nye CJ. A prospective study of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder (‘frozen shoulder’) in a high risk population. Q J Med 1981; 50(198):191-204.
w20 Patten C, Hillel A. The 11th nerve syndrome. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1992;119:215-20.
w21Buglen D, Binder A, Hazelman B, Park J. Immunological studies in frozen shoulder. J Rheumatol 1982;9:893-8.
w22Buglen D, Hazelman B, Voak D. HLA-B27 and frozen shoulder. Lancet 1976;968:1042-4.
w23 Seignalet J, Sany J, Caillens JP, Lapinski H. Lack of association between HLA_B27 and frozen shoulder. Tissue antigens 1981;18:364.
w24 Wright V, Haq AM. Periarthritis of the shoulder.II. Radiological features. Annals of Rheumatic Disease 1976;35(3):220-6.
w25 Mengiardi B, Pfirrmann CW, Gerber C, Hodler J, Zanetti M. Frozen Shoulder: MR arthrographic findings. Radiology 2004 Nov;233(2):486-92.
w26Ha’eri GB, Maitland A. Arthroscopic findings in the frozen shoulder. Journal of Rheumatology 1981;20:54-9.
w27 Rodeo SA, Hannafin JA, Tom J, Warren RF, Wickiewicz TL. Immunolocalisation of cytokines and their receptors in adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder. J OrthopRes 1997;15:427-36.
w28 Muller LP, Rittmeister M, John J, Happ J, Kerschbaumer F. Frozen shoulder – An Algoneurodystrophic process? ActaOrthopBelg 1998; 64(4):434-40.
w29 Bunker TD, Reilly J, Bard KS, Hamblen DL. Expression of Growth factors, Cytokines and Matrix Metalloproteinases in frozen shoulder. J Bone Joint Surg 2000;82(B):768-73.
w30 Border WA, Noble NA. Transforming growth factor beta in tissue fibrosis. N Engl J Med 1994; 331:1286-92.
w31 Hutchinson JW, Tierney GM, Parsons SL, Davis TR. Dupuytren’s disease and frozen shoulder induced by treatment with a matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor. J Bone Joint Surg 1998;80(B):907-8.
w32Gam AN, Schydlowsky P, Rossel I et al. Treatment of frozen shoulder with distension and glucocorticoid compared with glucocorticoid alone. A randomised controlled trial. Scand. J Rheumatol 1998;27(6):425-30.
w33 Rizk TE, Christopher RP, Pinals RS, Higgins AC, Frix R. Adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder): A new approach to its management and treatment. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1983;64:29-33.
w34Dodenhoff RM, Levy O, Wilson A, Copeland SA. Manipulation under anaesthesia for primary frozen shoulder: effect on early recovery and return to activity. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2000;9:23-6.
w35 Haines JF, Hargadon EJ. Manipulation as the primary treatment of the frozen shoulder. J R Coll Surg Edinb 1982;27:271-5.
w36 Warner JJP, Allen A, Marks PH, Wong P. Arthroscopic release for chronic refractory adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1996;78A:1808-16.
w37Ogilvie-Harris DJ, Biggs DJ, Fitsialos DP, Mackay M. The resistant frozen shoulder.Manipulation versus arthroscopic release.ClinOrthopRelatRes 1995 Oct;(319):238-48.
w38Massoud SN, Pearse E, Levy O, Copeland SA. Operative management of the frozen shoulder in patients with diabetes. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2002;11:609-13.
w39Loew M, Heichel TO, Lehner B. Intraarticular lesions in primary frozen shoulder after manipulation under general anaesthesia. Shoulder Elbow Surg 2005 Jan-Feb;14(1):16-21.
- General PracticeEffectiveness of corticosteroid injections versus physiotherapy for treatment of painful stiff shoulder in primary care: randomised trialPublished: 07 November 1998; BMJ 317 doi:10.1136/bmj.317.7168.1292
- Practice Published: 07 December 2016; BMJ 355 doi:10.1136/bmj.i5783
- Over half of anaesthetists have nowhere to rest during or after a shift, survey findsBMJ November 19, 2018, 363 k4900; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k4900
- Warshafsky did not intend to kill himself with fentanyl, coroner concludesBMJ June 22, 2018, 361 k2757; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k2757
- Police drop case against anaesthetist who was investigated over deaths of several patientsBMJ June 14, 2018, 361 k2643; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k2643
- Anaesthetist is investigated over deaths of several patientsBMJ March 05, 2018, 360 k1042; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k1042
- Prescriptions for adrenaline devices in children are rising faster than anaphylaxisBMJ March 14, 2017, 356 j1283; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j1283
- Assessment of shoulder pain for non-specialists
- What's changed in the management of the frozen shoulder?
- Comparative outcome of arthroscopic release for frozen shoulder in patients with and without diabetes
- Long-Term Outcomes After Arthroscopic Capsular Release for Idiopathic Adhesive Capsulitis
- The effectiveness of interventions in the management of patients with primary frozen shoulder
- Exposure to Low Amounts of Ultrasound Energy Does Not Improve Soft Tissue Shoulder Pathology: A Systematic Review
- Adhesive Capsulitis: Establishing Consensus on Clinical Identifiers for Stage 1 Using the Delphi Technique
- Interventions Associated With an Increased or Decreased Likelihood of Pain Reduction and Improved Function in Patients With Adhesive Capsulitis: A Retrospective Cohort Study