Metabolic syndromeBMJ 2005; 331 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.331.7526.1153 (Published 17 November 2005) Cite this as: BMJ 2005;331:1153
[posted as supplied by author]
W1 Alberti KG,.Zimmet PZ. Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation. Diabetic Medicine 1998;15:539-53.
W2. Expert Panel on Detection EaToHBCiA, Cholesterol, Guidelines, Lipids and Antilipemic Agents, Risk Assessment. Executive Summary of the Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 2001;285:2486-97.
W3. Kahn R, Buse J, Ferrannini E, Stern M. The metabolic syndrome: time for a critical appraisal: joint statement from the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2005;28:2289-304.
W4 Stern MP, Williams K, Gonzalez-Villalpando C, Hunt KJ, Haffner SM. Does the metabolic syndrome improve identification of individuals at risk of type 2 diabetes and/or cardiovascular disease? Diabetes Care 2004;27:2676-81
W5 Isomaa B, Almgren P, Toumi T, Forsen B, Lahti K, Nissen M et al. Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality associated with the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Care 2001;24:683-9.
W6 Hunt KJ, Resendez RG, Williams K, Haffner SM, Stern MP. National Cholesterol Education Program versus World Health Organization metabolic syndrome in relation to all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in the San Antonio heart study. Circulation 2004;110:1251-7.
W7 Malik S, Wong ND, Franklin SS, Kamath TV, L'Italien GJ, Pio JR et al. Impact of the metabolic syndrome on mortality from coronary heart disease, cardiovascular disease, and all causes in United States adults. Circulation 2004;110:1245-50.
W8. http://www.who.int/chp/chronic_disease_report/en/index.html (accessed 9th October 2005).
W9 Knowler WC, Barrett-Connor E, Fowler SE, Hamman RF, Lachin JM, Walker EA et al. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. New England Journal of Medicine 2002;346:393-403.
- Clinical Review Published: 29 March 2007; BMJ 334 doi:10.1136/bmj.39148.668160.80
- Review Published: 15 December 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7530.1481-b
- PaperAssociation of glycaemia with macrovascular and microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 35): prospective observational studyPublished: 12 August 2000; BMJ 321 doi:10.1136/bmj.321.7258.405
- Type 1 diabetes: earlier onset is linked to cardiovascular complications and reduced lifespanBMJ August 10, 2018, 362 k3487; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k3487
- Diabetes: simple patient characteristics should help inform choice of second line drug, study findsBMJ August 03, 2018, 362 k3368; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k3368
- Childhood obesity: government’s plan targets energy drinks and junk food advertisingBMJ June 25, 2018, 361 k2775; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k2775
- Child obesity: government considers new direct interventionsBMJ May 23, 2018, 361 k2292; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k2292
- Sugar in food: critics urge tougher regulation as industry fails to meet reduction targetBMJ May 22, 2018, 361 k2280; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k2280
- Managing the acute psychotic episode
- Hit parade