Shoulder pain: diagnosis and management in primary careBMJ 2005; 331 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.331.7525.1124 (Published 10 November 2005) Cite this as: BMJ 2005;331:1124
w1. Bongers PM. The cost of shoulder pain at work. BMJ 2001;322:64-5.
w2. Bamji AN, Erhardt CC, Price TR, Williams PL. The painful shoulder: can consultants agree? Br J Rheumatol 1996;35:1172-4.
w3. De Winter AF, Jans MP, Scholten RJ, Deville W, van Schaardenburg D, Bouter LM. Diagnostic classification of shoulder disorders: interobserver agreement and determinants of disagreement. Ann Rheum Dis 1999;58:272-7.
w4. Croft P, Pope D, Boswell R, Rigby A, Silman A. Observer variability in measuring elevation and external rotation of the shoulder. Br J Rheumatol 1994;33:942-6.
w5. Khan KM, Cook JL, Kannus P, Maffulli N, Bonar SF. Time to abandon the “tendinitis” myth. BMJ 2002;324:626-7.
w6. Sherrington C, Herbert RD, Maher CG, Moseley AM. PEDro: a database of randomized trials and systematic reviews in physiotherapy. Man Ther 2000;5:223-6.
w7. Glanville J, Haines M, Auston I. Finding information on clinical effectiveness. BMJ 1998;317:200-3.
w8. Harvie P, Ostlere SJ, Teh J, McNally EG, Clipsham K, Burston BJ, et al. Genetic influences in the aetiology of tears of the rotator cuff: sibling risk of a full-thickness tear. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2004;86:696-700.
w9. Alvarez CM, Litchfield R, Jackowski D, Griffin S, Kirkley A. A prospective, double blind, randomized clinical trial comparing subacromial injection of betamethasone and xylocaine to xylocaine alone in chronic rotator cuff tendinosis. Am J Sports Med 2005;33:255-62.
w10 Barry M, Jenner JR. ABC of rheumatology: pain in neck, shoulder and arm. BMJ 1995;310:183-6.
w11. Mathers N, Hodgkin P. The Gatekeeper and the Wizard: a fairytale. BMJ 1989;298:172-4.
w12. Croft P, Pope D, Silman A, for the Primary Care Rheumatology Society Shoulder Study Group. The clinical course of shoulder pain: prospective cohort study in primary care. BMJ 1996;313:601-2.
- Editor's Choice Published: 10 November 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7525.0-f
- General PracticeSystematic review of randomised controlled trials of interventions for painful shoulder: selection criteria, outcome assessment, and efficacyPublished: 31 January 1998; BMJ 316 doi:10.1136/bmj.316.7128.354
- Review Published: 15 December 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7530.1481-b
- Practice Published: 07 December 2016; BMJ 355 doi:10.1136/bmj.i5783
- ResearchSubacromial decompression versus diagnostic arthroscopy for shoulder impingement: randomised, placebo surgery controlled clinical trialPublished: 19 July 2018; BMJ 362 doi:10.1136/bmj.k2860
- Practice Published: 06 February 2019; BMJ 364 doi:10.1136/bmj.l294
- Practice Published: 07 July 2023; BMJ 382 doi:10.1136/bmj.p1255
- An adolescent with disabling abdominal painBMJ December 07, 2016, 355 i6101; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6101
- What it feels like to be an interesting teaching opportunityBMJ December 07, 2016, 355 i6190; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6190
- Johnson & Johnson is ordered to pay $1bn over faulty hip implantsBMJ December 06, 2016, 355 i6551; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6551
- Shared decision making in patients with low risk chest pain: prospective randomized pragmatic trialBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6165; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6165
- Generics have a chequered recent historyBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6527; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6527
- Non-surgical and surgical treatments for rotator cuff disease: a pragmatic randomised clinical trial with 2-year follow-up after initial rehabilitation
- Clinical practice guidelines for the management of atraumatic shoulder conditions: protocol for a systematic review
- Subacromial decompression surgery for adults with shoulder pain: a systematic review with meta-analysis
- Longitudinal study of use and cost of subacromial decompression surgery: the need for effective evaluation of surgical procedures to prevent overtreatment and wasted resources
- Minimal important differences for improvement in shoulder condition patient-reported outcomes: a systematic review to inform a BMJ Rapid Recommendation
- Subacromial decompression surgery for adults with shoulder pain: a clinical practice guideline
- Subacromial decompression versus diagnostic arthroscopy for shoulder impingement: randomised, placebo surgery controlled clinical trial
- Clinical and cost-effectiveness of progressive exercise compared with best practice advice, with or without corticosteroid injection, for the treatment of rotator cuff disorders: protocol for a 2x2 factorial randomised controlled trial (the GRASP trial)
- Recurrence of frozen shoulder after manipulation under anaesthetic (MUA): the results of repeating the MUA
- Effectiveness of open and arthroscopic rotator cuff repair (UKUFF): a randomised controlled trial
- Assessment of shoulder pain for non-specialists
- Ultrasound-guided shoulder girdle injections are more accurate and more effective than landmark-guided injections: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Staged Approach for Rehabilitation Classification: Shoulder Disorders (STAR-Shoulder)
- Clinical Identifiers for Early-Stage Primary/Idiopathic Adhesive Capsulitis: Are We Seeing the Real Picture?
- Protocol for the United Kingdom Rotator CuffStudy (UKUFF): a randomised controlled trial of open and arthroscopic rotatorcuff repair
- Temporal trends and geographical variation in the use of subacromial decompression and rotator cuff repair of the shoulder in England
- Supervised Exercises Compared With Radial Extracorporeal Shock-Wave Therapy for Subacromial Shoulder Pain: 1-Year Results of a Single-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial
- Comparison Between Exclusively Long-Axis and Multiple-Axis Sonographic Protocols for Screening of Rotator Cuff Lesions in Symptomatic Shoulders
- Adhesive Capsulitis: Establishing Consensus on Clinical Identifiers for Stage 1 Using the Delphi Technique
- The pathogenesis and surgical treatment of tears of the rotator cuff
- Hit parade