Making dirty water drinkableBMJ 2005; 331 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.331.7519.781-b (Published 29 September 2005) Cite this as: BMJ 2005;331:781
Relevant references (as supplied by authors)
- Berger,M.R., Habs,M., Jahn,S.A.A. and Schmahl,D. 1984, Toxicological assessment of seeds from Moringa oleifera and Moringa stenopetala, two highly efficient primary coagulants for domestic water treatment of tropical raw waters. East African Medical Journal, 61 pp712-716.
- Folkard,G.K., Sutherland,J.P. and Grant,W.D., 1993. Natural coagulants at pilot scale; In: Pickford,J., ed. Water, Environment and Management: Proc. of the 18th WEDC Conference, Kathmandu, Nepal, 30 Aug.-3 Sept.1992. Loughborough University Press, pp51-54.
- Gassenschmidt, U., Jany, K.D., Tauscher,B. and Niebergall, H. 1995, Isolation and charaterization of a flocculating protein from Moringa oleifera Lam. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1243, pp477-481
- Grabow,W.O.K., Slabbert,J.L., Morgan,W.S.G. and Jahn,S.A.A. 1985,
- Toxicity and mutagenicity evaluation of water coagulated with Moringa oleifera seed preparations using fish, protozoan, bacterial, coliphage, enzyme and Ames Salmonella assays. Water SA, 11 (1) pp9-14.
- Gupta,A. and Chaudhuri,M. 1992, Domestic water purification for developing countries. J.Water SRT-Aqua, 41 (5) pp290-298.
- Jahn,S.A.A., 1989, Moringa oleifera for food and water purification - selection of clones and growing of annual short stem. Entwicklung + Landlicher Raum, 23 (4) pp22-25.
- Jahn,S.A.A. 1986, Proper use of African natural coagulants for rural water supplies. Manual No.191, Pub.: GTZ, Eschborn, Germany.
- Jahn,S.A.A., 1989, Simplified water treatment technologies for rural areas, GATE (GTZ), 1, pp37-41.
- Jahn,S.A.A. 1981. Traditional water purification in tropical developing countries: existing methods and potential applications. Manual No.117, Pub.:GTZ, Eschborn, Germany
- Jahn,S.A.A. 1984, Effectiveness of traditional flocculants as primary coagulants and coagulant aids for the treatment of tropical raw water with more than a thousand-fold fluctuation in turbidity. Water Supply, 2 (3/4) Special Subject pp8-10.
- Jahn,S.A.A and Dirar,H. 1979, Studies on natural water coagulants in the Sudan with special reference to Moringa oleifera seeds, Water SA, 5 (2) pp90-97
- Madsen,M., Schlundt,J. and El Fadil,O. 1987, Effect of water coagulation by seeds of Moringa oleifera on bacterial concentrations. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 90 pp.101-109.
- Sutherland,J.P., Folkard,G.K. and Grant,W.D., 1990. Natural coagulants for appropriate water treatment: a novel approach, Waterlines, April, 8 (4), pp30-32.
- Sutherland,J.P., Folkard, G.K., Mtawali,M.A. and Grant,W.D. Moringa oleifera at pilot/full scale. In: Pickford,J. et al. eds. Water, Sanitation, Environment and Development: Proceedings of the 19th WEDC Conference, Accra, Ghana, Sept.1993. Loughborough University of Technology Press, 1994, pp.109-111.
- Tauscher,B., 1994, Water treatment by flocculant compounds of higher plants. Plant Research and Development, 40, pp.56-70
- PAPERSHousehold based treatment of drinking water with flocculant-disinfectant for preventing diarrhoea in areas with turbid source water in rural western Kenya: cluster randomised controlled trialPublished: 26 July 2005; BMJ doi:10.1136/bmj.38512.618681.E0
- Short CutsHousehold based treatment of drinking water with flocculant-disinfectant for preventing diarrhoea in areas with turbid source water in rural western Kenya: cluster randomised controlled trialPublished: 01 September 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.38512.618681.E0
- US government sues Yale’s teaching hospital for age discrimination in testing older doctorsBMJ February 18, 2020, 368 m639; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m639
- Royal College of Pathologists: president elect is barred after misconduct allegations are upheldBMJ February 18, 2020, 368 m638; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m638
- Measuring multimorbidity beyond counting diseases: systematic review of community and population studies and guide to index choiceBMJ February 18, 2020, 368 m160; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m160
- UK deal over inclisiranBMJ February 18, 2020, 368 m579; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m579
- Matt Morgan: When nothing is the right thing to sayBMJ February 18, 2020, 368 m574; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m574