Education And Debate Taking the final step: changing the law on euthanasia and physician assisted suicide
Legalised euthanasia will violate the rights of vulnerable patientsBMJ 2005; 331 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.331.7518.684 (Published 22 September 2005) Cite this as: BMJ 2005;331:684
Posted as supplied by the authors
- Ada van de Scheur AvdA. The Role of Nurses in Euthanasia: a Dutch study. Nursing Ethics 1998;5:497-508.
- Asch DA. The Role of Critical Care Nurses in Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide. New England Journal of Medicine 1996;334:1374-1379.
- Connelly RJ. Ambiguity in the "Nursing Statement on assisted Suicide". Nursing Forum 1997;32(2):29-32.
- Daly BJ, Berry D, Fitzpatrick JJ, Drew B, Montgomery K. Assisted suicide: implications for nurses and nursing. Nursing Outlook 1997;45(5):209-214.
- Egan T. No one rushing in Oregon to use a new suicide law: doctors and pharmacists ponder their role. New York Times 1998;18.
- Ganzini L, Harvath TA, Jackson A, Goy ER, Miller LL, Delorit MA. Experiences of Oregon nurses and social workers with hospice patients who requested assistance with suicide. New England Journal of Medicine 2002;347(8):582-588.
- Kirk K. How Oregon’s Death with Dignity Act affects practice.[comment] AJN, American Journal of Nursing 1998;98(8):54-55.
- Sheldon T. Dutch euthanasia law. Nurses demand right to opt out of mercy killings. Nursing Times 2001;97(16):7.
- van der Arend AJ. Euthanasia and assisted suicide in The Netherlands: clarifying the practice and the nurse’s role.. International Nursing Review 1998;45(5):145-151.
- Block SD, Billings JA. Patient requests for euthanasia and assisted suicide in terminal illness. The role of the psychiatrist. Psychosomatics 1995;36(5):445-457.
- Abramson N, Stokes J, Weinreb NJ, Clark WS. Euthanasia and doctor-assisted suicide: responses by oncologists and non-oncologists.. Southern Medical Journal 1998;91(7):637-642.
- Fenn DS, Ganzini L. How do Oregon psychologists view their role in physician-assisted suicide? Western Journal of Medicine 1999;171(4):242.
- Ashcroft J. Dispensing of controlled substances to assist suicide: a memorandum of the Office of the Attorney General, the United States Department of Justice. Issues in Law & Medicine 2002;17(3):265-267.
- - Fenn, Darien S, 3, - Ganzini, Linda 1, 2. - Attitudes of Oregon Psychologists Toward Physician-Assisted Suicide and the Oregon Death With Dignity Act. Professional Psychology Research & Practice June 1999;30(3):235 244(3):235 2444).
- Ganzini L, Fenn DS, Lee MA, Heintz RT, Bloom JD. Attitudes of Oregon psychiatrists toward physician-assisted suicide.[comment] American Journal of Psychiatry 1996;153(11):1469-1475.
- This Week In The BMJ Published: 22 September 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7518.0-d
- PaperRefused and granted requests for euthanasia and assisted suicide in the Netherlands: interview study with structured questionnairePublished: 07 October 2000; BMJ 321 doi:10.1136/bmj.321.7265.865
- News Published: 11 November 2000; BMJ 321 doi:10.1136/bmj.321.7270.1174/a
- PaperRetrospective study of doctors' “end of life decisions” in caring for mentally handicapped people in institutions in the NetherlandsPublished: 12 July 1997; BMJ 315 doi:10.1136/bmj.315.7100.88
- ResearchReporting of euthanasia in medical practice in Flanders, Belgium: cross sectional analysis of reported and unreported casesPublished: 05 October 2010; BMJ 341 doi:10.1136/bmj.c5174
- News Published: 03 March 2001; BMJ 322 doi:10.1136/bmj.322.7285.509
- Head To Head Published: 19 August 2015; BMJ 351 doi:10.1136/bmj.h4437
- News Published: 10 July 1999; BMJ 319 doi:10.1136/bmj.319.7202.75
- Letter Published: 06 October 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7520.842-b
- Voluntary euthanasia deaths in Quebec outstrip predictions by three to oneBMJ November 23, 2016, 355 i6331; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6331
- BMA annual meeting: Doctors vote to maintain opposition to assisted dyingBMJ June 22, 2016, 353 i3486; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i3486
- California’s new assisted suicide law is challenged in courtBMJ June 21, 2016, 353 i3471; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i3471
- BMA annual meeting: “Bizarre” conference motion could “stifle” debate on physician assisted dyingBMJ June 20, 2016, 353 i3431; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i3431
- Failure to enact assisted suicide law leaves Canada’s doctors in limboBMJ June 13, 2016, 353 i3273; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i3273
- Responses to assisted suicide requests: an interview study with Swiss palliative care physicians
- Euthanasia embedded in palliative care. Responses to essentialistic criticisms of the Belgian model of integral end-of-life care
- Would judicial consent for assisted dying protect vulnerable people?
- Physician-assisted death with limited access to palliative care
- Attitudes toward euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide: a study of the multivariate effects of healthcare training, patient characteristics, religion and locus of control
- The law looks at assisted dying
- The law looks at assisted dying
- Reporting of euthanasia in medical practice in Flanders, Belgium: cross sectional analysis of reported and unreported cases
- Physician-assisted deaths under the euthanasia law in Belgium: a population-based survey
- GPs' views on changing the law on physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia, and willingness to prescribe or inject lethal drugs: a survey from Wales
- Time to legalise assisted dying?: Recruiting more vulnerable doctors may be the answer