Effectiveness of innovations in nurse led chronic disease management for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review of evidenceBMJ 2005; 331 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38512.664167.8F (Published 01 September 2005) Cite this as: BMJ 2005;331:485
[Posted as supplied by author]
Electronic databases searched and search strategies
In collaboration with a librarian with expertise in electronic searches we searched the following databases for English or Dutch language papers: Allied and Complementary Medicine Database (AMED); Applied Social Sciences Index and Abstracts (ASSIA) (from inception to February 2003); British Nursing Index (BNI); Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature (CINHAL); the Cochrane database of systematic reviews; database of abstracts of reviews (DARE); the Cochrane central register of controlled trials (CENTRAL); Embase; Health Management Information Consortium Database (HMIC); PubMed; National Research Register (NNR); System for Information on Grey Literature in Europe (SIGLE); Psyc-Info; Science Citation Index; Social Science Citation Index; and the Steinberg Collection of Nursing (theses collection). All databases other than ASSIA were searched from January 1980, or their inception, to January 2005.
Eight Dutch bibliographic citation databases were searched in Dutch, these were:
1. Database of the National Expert Centre Nursing and Care
(www.levv.nl Landelijk Expertisecentrum Verpleging en Verzorging).
2. Website General Association of Nurses and Caretakers
(www.avvv.nl Algemene Vereniging Verpleegkundigen en Verzorgenden).
3. Dutch Institute for Scientific Information Services
(www.niwi.nl Nederlands Instituut voor Wetenschappelijke Informatiediensten)
4. Datafile Foundation Research and Development Public Health
(www.xs4all.nl/~stoom/ Stichting Onderzoek en Ontwikkeling Maatschappelijke Gezondheidszorg)
5. Datafile Dutch Institute for Research of Health Care
(www.nivel.nl Nederlands Instituut voor Onderzoek van de Gezondheidszorg)
6. Dutch Central Catalogue (http://picarta.pica.nl)
Hand search of conference proceeding abstracts
We attempted to search conference abstracts for the period January 1993 to September 1993 but in most cases we were unable to obtain a complete set of conference proceedings for this period.
American Thoracic Society (ATS)
Association of Respiratory Nurses
Australian and New Zealand Thoracic society
British Thoracic Society (BTS)
European Respiratory Society (ERS)
International Primary Care Respiratory Group
RCN-Research Society Conference
Royal College of Nursing Respiratory Nurses Forum (and newsletter)
For the Dutch language databases, a complex search strategy was not developed because the databases were relatively small. The following search terms in Dutch were used to search the databases: ‘Respiratory nurse’, ‘Respiratory nursing’, ‘COPD’, ‘Chronic bronchitis’, ‘Lung emphysema‘, ‘Airway obstruction’ and ‘CARA’ (chronische aspecifieke respiratoire aandoeningen, a term used to differentiate COPD from asthma)
PubMed Search strategy
("pulmonary disease, chronic obstructive"[MeSH Terms] OR COPD [Text Word])
#2 chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
("pulmonary disease, chronic obstructive"[MeSH Terms] OR chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [Text Word])
("pulmonary disease, chronic obstructive"[MeSH Terms] OR COAD [Text Word])
#4 chronic obstructive airway disease
("pulmonary disease, chronic obstructive"[MeSH Terms] OR chronic obstructive airway disease [Text Word])
#5 "Chronic obstructive airways disease"
#6 chronic obstructive lung disease
("pulmonary disease, chronic obstructive"[MeSH Terms] OR chronic obstructive lung disease [Text Word])
#7 chronic bronchitis
("bronchitis, chronic"[MeSH Terms] OR chronic bronchitis [Text Word])
(("pulmonary emphysema"[MeSH Terms] OR "emphysema"[MeSH Terms]) OR emphysema [Text Word])
#9 "irreversible airways disease"
("irreversible airways disease"[All Fields])
#10 Search chronic airflow obstruction
("pulmonary disease, chronic obstructive"[MeSH Terms] OR chronic airflow obstruction[Text Word])
#11 Search chronic airflow limitation
("pulmonary disease, chronic obstructive"[MeSH Terms] OR chronic airflow limitation[Text Word])
#12 Search #1 OR #2 OR #3 OR #4 OR #5 OR #6 OR #7 OR #8 OR #9 OR #10 OR #11
#16 nursing care
(("nursing"[MeSH Subheading] OR "nursing care"[MeSH Terms]) OR nursing care[Text Word])
#17 "nursing care"[All Fields]
#18 nursing process
("nursing process"[MeSH Terms] OR nursing process[Text Word])
#19 "nursing process" [All Fields]
#20 "nursing services"[MESH:noexp]
#21 "nursing services"[All Fields]
#22 nurse-patient relations
("nurse-patient relations"[MeSH Terms] OR nurse-patient relations[Text Word])
#23 nurse's role
("nurse's role"[MeSH Terms] OR "nurse s role"[Text Word])
#24 community health nursing
("community health nursing"[MeSH Terms] OR community health nursing [Text Word])
#25 "community health nursing"[All Fields]
#26 health visit* NOT jrid3991[JOURNAL]
((((health visit [All Fields] OR health visiting [All Fields]) OR health visitor[All Fields]) OR health visitors[All Fields]) NOT jrid3991[JOURNAL]) (ie NOT Health Visitor [journal])
("caregivers"[MeSH Terms] OR caregivers [Text Word])
# 28 caregiver[Text Word]
#29 patient discharge
("patient discharge"[MeSH Terms] OR patient discharge [Text Word])
#30 "hospital discharge"[All Fields]
#31 "discharge planning"
("planned discharge" not found as a phrase)
#32 discharge plan*
((((discharge planing[All Fields] OR discharge planner[All Fields]) OR discharge planners[All Fields]) OR discharge planning[All Fields]) OR discharge plans[All Fields])
#33 "outpatients"[MeSH Terms]
# 35 "Outpatient Clinics, Hospital"[MESH]
(This MeSH term is exploded and therefore also includes the MeSH term "Pain clinics")
#36 "Community Health Centers"[MESH]
#37 outpatient clinic*
#38 outpatient department*
#39 "home care services"[MESH]
#40 home car*
((home care [All Fields] OR home cared[All Fields]) OR home caring[All Fields])
#41 "hospital at home"
#42 "community care"
#43 community service*
(community service[All Fields] OR community services[All Fields])
#44 "ambulatory care"[MESH]
#45 "secondary prevention"[All Fields]
#46 home visit*
((((((home visit [All Fields] OR home visitation [All Fields]) OR home visited[All Fields]) OR home visiting[All Fields]) OR home visitor[All Fields]) OR home visitors[All Fields]) OR home visits[All Fields])
#47 home assess*
(home assessed[All Fields] OR home assessment[All Fields])
#48 "house calls"[MESH]
#49 house call* 1275
(((((house call[All Fields] OR house calls[All Fields]) OR house calls/economics[All Fields]) OR house calls/standards[All Fields]) OR house calls/trends[All Fields]) OR house calls/utilization[All Fields])
#50 "Patient Education"[MESH]
#51 patient teach*
((patient teacher [All Fields] OR patient teachers[All Fields]) OR patient teaching[All Fields])
#52 "Patient Care Planning"[MESH]
#53 patient counsel*
((((patient counselled [All Fields] OR patient counselling [All Fields]) OR patient counselled[All Fields]) OR patient counsellor [All Fields]) OR patient counsellors [All Fields])
#54 "Primary Health Care"[MESH]
#54 "primary care"[All Fields]
#12 (Search #1 OR #2 OR #3 OR #4 OR #5 OR #6 OR #7 OR #8 OR #9 OR #10 OR #11)
(#13 OR #14 OR #15 OR #16 OR #17 OR #18 OR #19 OR #20 OR #21 OR #22 OR #23 OR #24 OR #25)
Health / home concept
(#26 OR #27 OR #28 OR #29 OR #30 OR #31 OR #32 OR #33 OR #34 OR #35 OR #36 OR #37 OR #38 OR #39 OR #40 OR #41 OR #42 OR #43 OR #44 OR #45 OR #46 OR #47 OR #48 OR #49 OR #50 OR #51 OR #52 OR #53 OR #54)
COPD + nursing concepts
COPD + Health / home concepts
COPD + nursing OR Health / home concept
Appendix 2 Table of ongoing RCTs
name of study (abbreviated),
Multidisciplinary support for patients with COPD following hospital discharge
Home support visits for 2 months at discharge following an acute exacerbation of COPD versus usual care.
Preparation or awaiting publication.
The respiratory nurse as disease specific nurse for patients with COPD
Source: Personal communication
Respiratory nurse clinic versus pulmonologist clinic
Due to be completed end 2004/ early
Specialist nurse led clinics
Source: Personal communication
Specialist-nurse led clinics versus respiratory consultant clinics in secondary care.
preparation or awaiting publication.
rehabilitation study of
patients with COPD
Trial of home support and education by nurses and physiotherapists following discharge from hospital.
preparation or awaiting publication.
Individualised self management plans for COPD
Patients attending nurse-led clinic. Trial of education and prescription for drugs to be kept at home versus usual care.
Due to be completed end 2004.
NRR = National Research Register
Appendix 3: Methodological quality assessment of the included RCTs based on published reports (quality criteria adapted from Verhagen † and Jadad ).
Was a method of randomisation performed ?
Withdrawals and dropouts
Intention-to- treat analysis performed?
Point estimate and variability for primary outcomes?
levels of evidence score 
N=NO, U=Unclear, Y=Yes, † we operationalised the Delphi list following advice from the author (Verhagen: personal communication), *item from Jadad Score only.
- This Week In The BMJ Published: 01 September 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7515.0-c
- PaperGetting more for their dollar: a comparison of the NHS with California's Kaiser PermanenteCommentary: Funding is not the only factorCommentary: Same price, better careCommentary: Competition made them do itPublished: 19 January 2002; BMJ 324 doi:10.1136/bmj.324.7330.135
- Education And Debate Published: 17 August 2002; BMJ 325 doi:10.1136/bmj.325.7360.381
- PAPERSHospital at home for patients with acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review of evidencePublished: 08 July 2004; BMJ doi:10.1136/bmj.38159.650347.55
- PaperHospital at home for patients with acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review of evidencePublished: 05 August 2004; BMJ 329 doi:10.1136/bmj.38159.650347.55
- Clinical Review Published: 24 January 2011; BMJ 342 doi:10.1136/bmj.c7207
- PaperInterventions used in disease management programmes for patients with chronic illnesswhich ones work? Meta-analysis of published reportsPublished: 26 October 2002; BMJ 325 doi:10.1136/bmj.325.7370.925
- Primary CareRandomised controlled trial of home based care of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseasePublished: 26 October 2002; BMJ 325 doi:10.1136/bmj.325.7370.938
- Analysis Published: 01 November 2007; BMJ 335 doi:10.1136/bmj.39343.408449.80
- Chemoprevention of colorectal cancer in individuals with previous colorectal neoplasia: systematic review and network meta-analysisBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6188; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6188
- NHS to fund large trial of pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV preventionBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6537; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6537
- Bill to boost medical research funding and speed drug approval passes US houseBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6498; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6498
- Alpha blockers for treatment of ureteric stones: systematic review and meta-analysisBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6112; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6112
- Sixty seconds on . . . solanezumabBMJ November 29, 2016, 355 i6389; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6389
- Research priorities for respiratory nursing: a UK-wide Delphi study
- Does integrated care reduce hospital activity for patients with chronic diseases? An umbrella review of systematic reviews
- Using a mobile health application to support self-management in COPD: a qualitative study
- Disease Management Programs for Patients With COPD in Germany: A Longitudinal Evaluation of Routinely Collected Patient Records
- A review of discharge planning for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at high risk for readmission
- Preventing exacerbations in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Effects of written action plan adherence on COPD exacerbation recovery
- Preventing exacerbations in COPD
- Specialist practice in the community: chest medicine
- Discharge planning and home care for end-stage COPD patients
- End-of-life care for patients with COPD in the community setting
- A nurse led intermediate care package in patients who have been hospitalised with an acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Uncertainty in heterogeneity estimates in meta-analyses
- Intermediate care--Hospital-at-Home in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: British Thoracic Society guideline
- Caring for the burden of COPD.
- Integrated care: a new model for COPD management?
- Review: existing evidence does not support nurse led interventions in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease