Systematic review of publication bias in studies on publication biasBMJ 2005; 331 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38478.497164.F7 (Published 18 August 2005) Cite this as: BMJ 2005;331:433
Posted as supplied by author
Data from these references is used in the analysis. This list is supposed for electronical publication at bmj.com.
6 Ioannidis JPA: Effect of the statistical significance of results on the time to completion and publication of randomized efficacy trials. JAMA 1998; 279: 281-6.
7 Stern JM, Simes RJ: Publication bias: evidence of delayed publication in a cohort study of clinical research projects. BMJ 1997; 315: 640-5.
8 Easterbrook PJ, Berlin JA, Gopalan R, Matthews DR: Publication bias in clinical research. Lancet 1991; 337: 867-72.
9 Olson CM, Rennie D, Cook D, Dickersin K, Flanagin A, Hogan JW, Zhu Q, Reiling J, Pace B: Publication bias in editorial decision making. JAMA 2002; 287: 2825-8.
10 Melander H, Ahlqvist-Rastad J, Meijer G, Beermann B: Evidence b(i)ased medicine-selective reporting from studies sponsored by pharmaceutical industry: review of studies in new drug applications.BMJ 2003; 326: 1171-3.
11 Egger M, Zellweger-Zahner T, Schneider M, Junker C, Lengeler C, Antes G: Language bias in randomised controlled trials published in English and German. Lancet 1997; 350: 326-9.
12 Zimpel T, Windeler J: Veröffentlichungen von Dissertationen zu unkonventionellen medizinischen Therapie- und Diagnoseverfahren – ein Beitrag zum "publication bias". Forschende Komplementärmedizin – Klassische Naturheilkunde 2000; 7: 71-4.
13 Klassen TP, Wiebe N, Russell K, Stevens K, Hartling L, Craig WR, Moher D: Abstracts of randomized controlled trials presented at the Society for Pediatric Research Meeting. Arch. Pediatr. Adolesc. Med. 2002; 156: 474-9.
14 Callaham ML, Wears RL, Weber EJ, Barton C, Young G: Positive-outcome bias and other limitations in the outcome of research abstracts submitted to a scientific meeting. JAMA 1998; 280: 254-7.
15 Krzyzanowska MK, Pintilie M, Tannock IF: Factors Associated With Failure to Publish Large Randomized Trials Presented at an Oncology Meeting. JAMA 2003; 290: 495-501.
16 Misakian AL, Bero LA: Publication bias and research on passive smoking – comparison of published an unpublished results. JAMA 1998; 280: 250-3.
17 Weber EJ, Callaham ML, Wears RL: Unpublished research from a medical specialty meeting: Why investigators fail to publish. JAMA 1998; 280: 257-9.
18 Timmer A, Hilsden RJ, Cole J, Hailey D, Sutherland LR: Publication bias in gastroenterological research – a retrospective cohort study based on abstracts submitted to a scientific meeting. BMC Medical Research Methodology 2002; 2:7.
19 Dickersin K, Min YI, Meinert CL: Factors influencing publication of research results. Follow-up of applications submitted to two institutional review boards. JAMA 1992; 267: 374-8.
20 Scherer R, Dickersin K, Langenberg P: Full publication of results initially presented in abstracts – a meta-analysis. JAMA 1994; 272: 158-62.
21 Daniels CE, Montori VM, Dupras DM: Effect of publication bias on retrieval bias. Acad.Med. 2002; 77: 266.
22 Lexchin J, Bero LA, Djulbegovic B, Clark O: Pharmaceutical industry sponsorship and research outcome and quality: systematic review. BMJ 2003; 326: 1167-77.
23 Dickersin K, Min YI: NIH clinical trials and publication bias. Online. J. Curr. Clin. Trials 1993; April 28; Doc. No 50
24 Evers JLH: Publication bias in reproductive research. Hum. Reprod. 2000; 15: 2063-6.
25 Koren G, Grahman K, Shear H, Einarson T: Bias against the null hypothesis: the reproductive hazards of cocaine. Lancet 1989; 2 (8677):1440-2.
26 De Bellefeuille C, Morrison CA, Tannock IF : The fate of abstracts submitted to a cancer meeting: factors which influence presentation and subsequent publication. Annals ofOncology 1992; 3: 187-91.
27 Dickersin K, Chan S, Chalmers TC, Sacks HS, Smith H: Publication bias and clinical trials. Controlled Clinical Trials 1987; 8: 343-53.
28 Bardy AH: Bias in reporting clinical trials. Brit. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 1998; 46: 147-50.
29 Chalmers I, Adams M, Dickersin K, Hetherington J, Tarnow-Mordi W, Meinert C, Tonascia S, Chalmers TC. A cohort study of summary reports on controlled trials. JAMA 1990; 263: 1401-5.
30 Cheng K, Preston C, Ashby D, O’Hea U, Smyth RL. Time to publication as full reports of abstracts of randomized controlled trials in cystic fibrosis. Ped Pulmon 1998; 26: 101-5.
31 Petticrew M, Gilbody S, Song F. Lost information? The fate of papers presented at the 40th Society for Social Medicine Conference. J Epidemiol Community Health 1999; 53: 442-3.
- This Week In The BMJ Published: 18 August 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7514.0-d
- Paper Published: 13 September 1997; BMJ 315 doi:10.1136/bmj.315.7109.629
- Editorial Published: 25 March 1995; BMJ 310 doi:10.1136/bmj.310.6982.752
- LetterReview of publication bias in studies on publication bias: Studies on publication bias are probably susceptible to the bias they studyPublished: 15 September 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7517.637-c
- Letter Published: 15 September 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7517.638-b
- Letter Published: 15 September 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7517.638-c
- LetterReview of publication bias in studies on publication bias: Here's a proposal for editors that may help reduce publication biasPublished: 15 September 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7517.638-a
- LetterReview of publication bias in studies on publication bias: Meta-research on publication bias does not help transfer research results to patient carePublished: 15 September 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7517.638
- ResearchEnvironmental toxic metal contaminants and risk of cardiovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysisPublished: 29 August 2018; BMJ 362 doi:10.1136/bmj.k3310
- Chemoprevention of colorectal cancer in individuals with previous colorectal neoplasia: systematic review and network meta-analysisBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6188; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6188
- Alpha blockers for treatment of ureteric stones: systematic review and meta-analysisBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6112; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6112
- Sex based subgroup differences in randomized controlled trials: empirical evidence from Cochrane meta-analysesBMJ November 24, 2016, 355 i5826; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5826
- Association between prediabetes and risk of cardiovascular disease and all cause mortality: systematic review and meta-analysisBMJ November 23, 2016, 355 i5953; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5953
- Effects of ischaemic conditioning on major clinical outcomes in people undergoing invasive procedures: systematic review and meta-analysisBMJ November 07, 2016, 355 i5599; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5599
- Functional Annotation of Human Cognitive States using Deep Graph Convolution
- Environmental toxic metal contaminants and risk of cardiovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysis
- Sackler Colloquium on Improving the Reproducibility of Scientific Research: Opinion: Is science really facing a reproducibility crisis, and do we need it to?
- Meta-assessment of bias in science
- The Maimed Martian, credible intervals and bias against benefit
- Medication Adherence Among Pediatric Patients With Sickle Cell Disease: A Systematic Review
- Ethnicity and the Mental Health Act 1983
- Oral presentation bias: a retrospective cohort study
- Review of publication bias in studies on publication bias: Meta-research on publication bias does not help transfer research results to patient care
- Review of publication bias in studies on publication bias: Mandatory publication of data may help
- Review of publication bias in studies on publication bias: Studies on publication bias are probably susceptible to the bias they study
- Review of publication bias in studies on publication bias: Here's a proposal for editors that may help reduce publication bias
- Review of publication bias in studies on publication bias: Systematic review is needed