Intended for healthcare professionals

Career Focus

I am a year 2 specialist registrar. How can I do an MSc in either obstetric ultrasound or maternal medicine for a year as an elective?

BMJ 2005; 331 doi: (Published 09 July 2005) Cite this as: BMJ 2005;331:s14
  1. Philip Owen, consultant in obstetrics and gynaecology, and RCOG tutor
  1. North Glagow Trust


Have a career or related problem that needs answering? Can't find the right person to point you in the right direction? Log on to the Advice Zone for reliable medical careers advice. You can post a question or see if one of our 300 advisers has already answered a similar question. Here is a selection of questions and answers posted on the site.

There is already Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG; recognised training in obstetric ultrasound and/or maternal medicine available. The RCOG/RCR (Royal College of Radiologists) diploma can be undertaken at any point during your career, usually takes a year, and there is an examination—it would be unusual for an obstetrician to require another qualification beyond this. Availability of such training will vary from one region or deanery to the next and I suggest that you contact your training programme director (TPD) for further information. Postgraduate diplomas in medical ultrasound are provided by many universities; you would need to obtain funding for such a qualification. I suggest contacting the British Medical Ultrasound Society ( Such a qualification is unusual for an obstetrician and although it will undoubtedly be interesting I am not sure how it will further your career beyond the RCOG/RCR diploma.

Maternal medicine training is principally via the special skills module (SSM) of the RCOG. This can be undertaken in SpR (specialist registrar) years 4 and 5. There is a specific theoretical course held annually and thereafter training is via an identified preceptor. Your hospital college tutor and/or your TPD will know where such training is available in your region. I am not aware that there is a programme in maternal medicine outwith the RCOG SSM but I may be wrong; there is now an International Society for Obstetric Medicine, so look up their website for courses of interest, etc. You may also wish to look up the British Maternal and Fetal Medicine Society ( website. ■


  • Cover: ABC-TV/The Kobal Collection


    More than 3000 doctors and medical students have already posted their queries on the Advice Zone ( on everything from exams and career choices to maternity leave or bullying bosses. Read what our advisers have suggested, or submit your own question to the panel.


    If you have anything helpful to add—perhaps you have been in a similar situation yourself—then you can post your own comments on the Advice Zone by going to the relevant section, then select the question and simply click on the “Reply to Question” button. Alternatively, you can send a rapid response to any of the questions and answers on the page.

View Abstract