Reinstitutionalisation in mental health care: comparison of data on service provision from six European countriesBMJ 2005; 330 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38296.611215.AE (Published 13 January 2005) Cite this as: BMJ 2005;330:123
Johnson, S., Taylor, R. Statistics of mentally disordered offenders 2001 – England and Wales. In Home Office Statistical Bulletin – 13/02. 28th November 2002 ISSN 1358-510X
Forensic Beds 2003 – "Data Collection of Department of Health". Robert Dolan. Personal communication.
In-patients formally detained in hospitals under the Mental Health Act 1983 and other legislation, England: 1991-1992 to 2001-2002. Department of Health Statistical Bulletin, 2002/26. November 2002 ISBN 1 84182 6243
Community Care Statistics 2002, Supported Residents (Adults), England. Department of Health Bulletin 2002/19. October 2002. ISBN 1 84182 614 6 www.dh.gov.uk
Hospital Activity Statistics Department of Health, Bed Availability & Occupancy, England 1996 –97 (KH03) and Department of Health Form KH03, 2000-01 www.dh.gov.uk
Statistisches Bundesamt 2003. Fachserie 10. Reihe 4.1. Rechtspflege Strafvollzug – Demographische und kriminologische Merkmale der Strafgefangenen zum Stichtag 31.3.
Bundesrepublik Deutschland Bundesministerium für Justziz Referat A/B 6 Zusammenstellung der Geschaftsübersichten der Amtsgerichte 1992-2001
Bundesarbeitsgemeinschaft der Freien Wohlfahrtspflege e.V.2001 Gesamtstatistik der Einrichtungen und Dienste der Freien Wohlfahrtspflege
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) 2003. OECD Health Data 2002.
Fioritti, A., Russo, L., Melega, V. The Reform, Said or Done? The case of Emilia-Romagna within the Itialian Psychiatric Context. American Journal of Psychiatry1997: 154: 94-98.
Fioritti, A., Lo Russo, L. Il Dire e il Fare. Governo Regionale ed Evoluzione dei Servizi psichiatrici in Emilia-Romagna. Bologna: Regione Emilia-Romagna, 1995.
de Girolamo, G., Picardi, A., Micciolo, R., Falloon, I., Fioritti, A., Morosini, P.L. Residential care in Italy. National survey of non-hospital facilities. British Journal of Psychiatry. 2002: 181: 22-225.
Dienst Justitilele Inrichtingen (2003). www.dji.nl
Annual Report of the Council for Health Care Tariffs. Based on data of College Tarieven Gezondheidszorg (previously Centraal Orgaan Tarieven Gezondheidszorg)
for 1990 – 1993: COTG (1995). Jaarversaig 1994. Utrecht, COTG
for 1994 – 1998: CTG (2000). Jaarversaig 1999. Utrecht, CTG
for 1999 – 2001: CTG (2002). Jaarversaig 2001. Utrecht, CTG
Piji. Y.I. (2003). Table derived from the Psychiatric Case Register, Groningen, INTAKE-file inpatient care. Department of Psychiatry, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
Department of Justice (Ministry of Justice) – Spain. www.mju.es/ (18 November 2003).
European Commission - Health and Consumer Protection Directorate – General Research Project Compulsory Admission and Involuntary Treatment of Mentally Ill Patients – Legislation And Practice in EU-Member States – Final Report Hans Joachim Salize, Harald Dresing, Monika Peitz Central Institute of Mental Health, Mannheim, Germany. 15 May 2002.
Andalusian Foundation for the Social Integration of the Mentally Ill Patients. (FAISEM) Personal communication. Seville (Spain), 1994.
Ministry of Health – Spain (1999). www.msc.es
Ministry of Justice – Sweden (2002). Mental Illness, Crime and Responsibility. SOU.
The Swedish Board of Health and Welfare. (2001) Effects of changes in compulsory care acts. 103-17 (In Swedish).
The National Board of Health and Welfare. (2003) Sheltered housing for persons with mental disabilities. 103-6 (In Swedish).
Swedish Federation of County Councils. www.lf.svekom.se
International Centre for Prison Studies - Europe statistics last modified 14thNovember 2003. World Prison Brief. Europe King’s College, University of London, UK. 2003. www.prisonstudies.org
- This Week In The BMJ Published: 13 January 2005; BMJ 330 doi:10.1136/bmj.330.7483.0-b
- ResearchRetrospective analysis of hospital episode statistics, involuntary admissions under the Mental Health Act 1983, and number of psychiatric beds in England 1996-2006Published: 09 October 2008; BMJ 337 doi:10.1136/bmj.a1837
- ResearchAssociation between provision of mental illness beds and rate of involuntary admissions in the NHS in England 1988-2008: ecological studyPublished: 05 July 2011; BMJ 343 doi:10.1136/bmj.d3736
- Editorial Published: 09 October 2008; BMJ 337 doi:10.1136/bmj.a1561
- Student Published: 20 December 2010; BMJ 341 doi:10.1136/sbmj.c6941
- Doctors face manslaughter charge for failing to raise alarm over killer nurseBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6507; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6507
- Old lessons relearntBMJ November 17, 2016, 355 i6153; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6153
- Doctors, their leaders, and the drug policy debateBMJ November 14, 2016, 355 i6087; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6087
- Judges hear senior surgeon’s appeal against manslaughter convictionBMJ October 27, 2016, 355 i5812; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5812
- Indonesian doctors risk losing licence if they castrate paedophilesBMJ October 25, 2016, 355 i5762; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5762
- A service evaluation of outcomes in two in-patient recovery units
- Splitting in-patient and out-patient responsibility does not improve patient care
- Author's reply
- Hospitalisation and compulsion: the research agenda
- Services for people with complex psychosis: towards a new understanding
- Deinstitutionalised patients, homelessness and imprisonment: systematic review
- How has the extent of institutional mental healthcare changed in Western Europe? Analysis of data since 1990
- Patient outcomes following discharge from secure psychiatric hospitals: systematic review and meta-analysis
- Treatment of Mentally Ill Offenders in Nine Developing Latin American Countries
- The ongoing need for local services for people with complex mental health problems
- Improving mental health services in England
- Specialisation and marginalisation: how the assertive community treatment debate affects individuals with complex mental health needs
- Supported accommodation for people with severe mental illness: an update
- Association between provision of mental illness beds and rate of involuntary admissions in the NHS in England 1988-2008: ecological study
- Overcrowding in psychiatric wards and physical assaults on staff: data-linked longitudinal study
- The dog that failed to bark
- A Fair Deal for mental health includes local rehabilitation services
- Forensic psychiatry
- Mental health rehabilitation services in the UK in 2007
- Jackson's Indiana: State Hospital Competence Restoration in Indiana
- Retrospective analysis of hospital episode statistics, involuntary admissions under the Mental Health Act 1983, and number of psychiatric beds in England 1996-2006
- Availability of inpatient beds for psychiatric admissions in the NHS
- Forensic psychiatry in Europe
- Aggressive behaviour, victimisation and crime among severely mentally ill patients requiring hospitalisation
- Characteristics and activities of acute psychiatric in-patient facilities: national survey in Italy
- Specialist psychiatric beds for people with learning disability