What causes chronic fatigue syndrome?BMJ 2004; 329 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.329.7472.928 (Published 21 October 2004) Cite this as: BMJ 2004;329:928
w1 Hall GH, Hamilton WT, Round AP. Increased illness experience preceding chronic fatigue syndrome: a case control study. J Roy Coll Physicians 1998;32:44-8.
w2 Hamilton WT, Hall GH, Round AP. Frequency of attendance in general practice and symptoms before development of chronic fatigue syndrome: a case-control study. Br J Gen Pract 2001;51:553-8.
w3 White PD, Thomas JM, Amess J, Crawford DH, Grover SA, Kangro HO, et al. Incidence, risk and prognosis of acute and chronic fatigue syndromes and psychiatric disorders after glandular fever. Br J Psychiatry 1998;173:475-81.
w4 Buchwald DS, Rea TD, Katon WJ, Russo JE, Ashley RL. Acute infectious mononucleosis: characteristics of patients who report failure to recover. Am J Med 2000;109:531-7.
w5 Lepow ML, Coyne N, Thompson LB, Carver DH, Robbins FC. A clinical, epidemiological and laboratory investigation of aseptic meningitis during the four year period, 1955-1958. II. The clinical disease and its sequelae. N Engl J Med 1962;266:1188-93.
w6 Hotopf M, Noah N, Wessely S. Chronic fatigue and minor psychiatric morbidity after viral meningitis: a controlled study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1996;60:504-9.
w7 Marmion BP, Shannon M, Maddocks I, Storm P, Penttila I. Protracted debility and fatigue after acute Q fever. Lancet 1996;347:977-8.
w8 Wildman MJ, Smith EG, Groves J, Beattie JM, Caul EO, Ayres JG. Chronic fatigue following infection by Coxiella burnetii (Q fever): ten-year follow-up of the 1989 UK outbreak cohort. QJM 2002;95:527-38.
w9 Wessely S, Chalder T, Hirsch S, Pawlikowska T, Wallace P, Wright DJ. Postinfectious fatigue: prospective cohort study in primary care. Lancet 1995;345:1333-8.
w10 Koelle DM, Barcy S, Huang ML, Ashley RL, Corey L, Zeh J, et al. Markers of viral infection in monozygotic twins discordant for chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Infect Dis 2002;35:518-25.
w11 Sorensen B, Streib JE, Strand M, Make B, Giclas PC, Fleshner M, Jones JF. Complement activation in a model of chronic fatigue syndrome. J Allerg Clin Immunol 2003;112:397-403.
w12 Vollmer-Conna U. Acute sickness behaviour: an immune system-to-brain communication? Psychol Med 2001;31:761-7.
w13 Cleare A. The neuroendocrinology of chronic fatigue syndrome. Endocrine Rev 2003;24:236-52.
w14 Deale A, Chalder T, Wessely S. Illness beliefs and treatment outcome in chronic fatigue syndrome. J Psychosom Res 1998;45:77-83.
w15 Moss-Morris R, Chalder T. Illness perceptions and levels of disability in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis. J Psychosom Res 2003;55:305-8.
w16 Hotopf M, Mayou R, Wadsworth M, Wessely S. Childhood risk factors in adults with medically unexplained symptoms: Results from a national birth cohort study. Am J Psychiatry 1999;156:1796-800.
w17 Garralda E, Rangel L, Levin M, Roberts H, Ukoumunne O. Psychiatric adjustment in adolescents with a history of chronic fatigue syndrome. J Am Acad Adolesc Psychiatry 1999;38:1515-21.
w18 Fisher L, Chalder T. Childhood experiences of illness and parenting in adults with chronic fatigue syndrome. J Psychosom Res 2003;54:439-43.
w19 Candy B, Chalder T, Cleare AJ, Wessely S, White PD, Hotopf M. Recovery from infectious mononucleosis: a case for more than symptomatic therapy? A systematic review. Br J Gen Pract 2002;52:844-51.
w20 Metzger FA, Denney DR. Perception of cognitive performance in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Ann Behav Med 2002;24:106-12.
w21 Vercoulen JHMM, Swanink CMA, Galama JMD, Fennis JFM, Jongen PJH, Hommes OR, et al. The persistence of fatigue in chronic fatigue syndrome and multiple sclerosis: development of a model. J Psychosom Res 1998;45:507-17.
w22 Craig AD. Interoception: the sense of the physiological condition of the body. Curr Opin Neurobiol 2003:13:500-5.
w23 Morgan WP. Psychological components of effort sense. Med Sci Sport Med 1994;26:1071-7.
w24 Strauss RS, Rodzilsky D, Burack G, Colin M. Psychosocial correlates of physical activity in healthy children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2001;155:897-902.
w25 Gracely RH, Petzke F, Wolf JM, Clauw DJ. Functional magnetic resonance imaging evidence of augmented pain processing in fibromyalgia. Arthr Rheum 2002;46:1333-43.
w26 Candy B, Chalder T, Cleare AJ, Wessely S, Hotopf M. A randomized controlled trial of a psycho-educational intervention to aid recovery in infectious mononucleosis. J Psychosom Res 2004;57:89-94.
- PaperChildhood predictors of self reported chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis in adults: national birth cohort studyPublished: 21 October 2004; BMJ 329 doi:10.1136/bmj.38258.507928.55
- PAPERSChildhood predictors of self reported chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis in adults: national birth cohort studyPublished: 06 October 2004; BMJ doi:10.1136/bmj.38258.507928.55
- Letter Published: 09 December 2004; BMJ 329 doi:10.1136/bmj.329.7479.1405-c
- Thiazide diuretics seem to protect against fractureBMJ November 22, 2016, 355 i6263; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6263
- Steroid injections through the eardrum reduce dizziness in Meniere’s disease, study findsBMJ November 18, 2016, 355 i6185; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6185
- Chronic insomnia: diagnosis and non-pharmacological managementBMJ November 16, 2016, 355 i5819; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5819
- Risks of duloxetine for stress incontinence outweigh benefits, say researchersBMJ November 15, 2016, 355 i6103; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6103
- How changes to drug prohibition could be good for the UK—an essay by Molly Meacher and Nick CleggBMJ November 14, 2016, 355 i6006; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6006
- Case definitions for chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME): a systematic review
- Exercise in social context contributes to a favourable outcome in fatigued children and adolescents
- Tired all the time: can new research on fatigue help clinicians?
- The symptom of generalised fatigue
- It's not all in ME mind, doc
- Patients with chronic fatigue syndrome are being ignored
- Hit parade