Recent developments: Suicide in older peopleBMJ 2004; 329 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.329.7471.895 (Published 14 October 2004) Cite this as: BMJ 2004;329:895
w1 De Beauvoir S. The coming of age. New York: GP Putnam’s Sons, 1972:522.
w2 Callahan CM, Hendrie HC, Nienabar NA, Tierney WM. Suicidal ideation among primary care patients. J Am Geriatr Soc 1996;44:1205-9.
w3 Skoog I, Aevarsson O, Beskow J, Larsson L, Palsson S, Waern M, et al. Suicidal feelings in a population sample of non-demented 85 year olds. Am J Psychiatry 1996;153:1015-20.
w4 De Leo D, Diekstra RFW. Depression and suicide in later life. Toronto: Hogrefe, 1990.
w5 Foster JR, Reisberg B. Effects of ageing on psychiatric disorders beginning earlier in life. In: Kay DWK, Burrows GD, eds. Handbook of studies on psychiatry and old age. New York: Elsevier, 1984:265-76.
w6 Nakra B, Grossberg G. Mood disorders. In: Bienenfield D, ed. Verwoerdt’s clinical geropsychiatry. 3rd ed. Baltimore: Williams, 1990:107-24.
w7 Conwell Y, Rotenberg M, Caine ED. Completed suicide at age 50 and over. J Am Geriatr Soc 1990;38:640-4.
w8 Erlangsen A, Bille-Brahe U, Jeune B. Differences in suicide between the old and the oldest old. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2003;58:S314-22.
w9 Lykouras L, Gournellis R, Fortos A, Oulis P, Christodoulou GN. Psychotic (delusional) major depression in the elderly and suicidal behaviour. J Affect Disord 2002;69:225-9.
w10 Thomas AJ, Kalaria RN, O’Brien JT. Depression and vascular disease: what is the relationship? J Affect Disord 2004;79:81-95.
w11 Rao R. Suicide in patients with stroke. BMJ 1998;317:1016b.
w12 Rubio A, Vestner AL, Stewart JM, Forbes NT, Conwell Y, Cox C. Suicide and Alzheimer’s pathology in the elderly: a case-control study. Biol Psychiatry 2001;49:137-45.
w13 Jones JS, Stanley B, Mann JJ, Frances AJ, Guido JR, Traskman-Bendz L, et al. CSF 5-HIAA and HVA concentrations in elderly depressed patients who attempted suicide. Am J Psychiatry 1990;147:1225-7.
w14 Harwood D, Hawton K, Hope T, Jacoby R. Psychiatric disorder and personality factors associated with suicide in older people: a descriptive and case-control study. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2001;16:155-65.
w15 Beautrais AL. A case control study of suicide and attempted suicide in older adults. Suicide Life Threat Behav 2002;32:1-9.
w16 Jorm AF, Henderson AS, Scott R, Korten AE, Christensen H, Mackinnon AJ. Factors associated with the wish to die in elderly people. Age Ageing 1995;24:389-92.
w17 Bartels SJ, Coakley E, Oxman TE, Constantino G, Oslin D, Chen H, et al. Suicidal and death ideation in older primary care patients with depression, anxiety and at risk alcohol use. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2002;10:417-27.
w18 Harris EC, Barraclough BM. Suicide as an outcome for medical disorders. Medicine 1994;73:281-96.
w19 Duberstein PR, Conwell Y, Conner KR, Eberly S, Caine ED. Suicide at 50 years of age and older: perceived physical illness, family discord and financial strain. Psychol Med 2004;34:137-46.
w20 Alexopolous GS, Bruce MI, Hull J. Clinical determinants of suicidal ideation and behaviour in geriatric depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999;56:1048-53.
w21 Cook JM, Pearson JL, Thompson R, Black BS, Rabins PV. Suicidality in older African Americans: findings from the EPOCH study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2002;10:437-46.
w22 Gallo JJ, Anthony JC, Muthen BO. Age differences in the symptoms of depression: a latent trait analysis. J Gerontol 1994;49:251-64.
w23 De Leo D, Dello Buono M, Dwyer J. Suicide among the elderly: the long-tem impact of a telephone support and assessment intervention in northern Italy. Br J Psychiatry 2002;181:226-9.
w24 Rutz W, von Knorring L, Walinder J. Frequency of suicide on Gotland after systematic postgraduate education general practitioners. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1989;80:151-5.
- This Week In The BMJ Published: 14 October 2004; BMJ 329 doi:10.1136/bmj.329.7471.0-d
- PaperTemporal relation between depression and cognitive impairment in old age: prospective population based studyPublished: 14 October 2004; BMJ 329 doi:10.1136/bmj.38216.604664.DE
- Letter Published: 30 December 2004; BMJ 330 doi:10.1136/bmj.330.7481.43
- Letter Published: 29 October 2013; BMJ 347 doi:10.1136/bmj.f6472
- PAPERSTemporal relation between depression and cognitive impairment in old age: prospective population based studyPublished: 02 September 2004; BMJ doi:10.1136/bmj.38216.604664.DE
- Maternal deaths from suicide must be tackled, say expertsBMJ December 07, 2016, 355 i6585; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6585
- Dyspnoea after home improvement workBMJ November 30, 2016, 355 i5957; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5957
- Risks of duloxetine for stress incontinence outweigh benefits, say researchersBMJ November 15, 2016, 355 i6103; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6103
- Health professionals’ stereotyping is impeding suicide prevention effortsBMJ November 11, 2016, 355 i6072; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6072
- Action is urged to improve physical health in severe mental illnessBMJ October 25, 2016, 355 i5729; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5729
- Late-life suicidal behaviours among new users of antidepressants: a prospective population-based study of sociodemographic and gender factors in those aged 75 and above
- HOspitals and patients WoRking in Unity (HOW R U?): protocol for a prospective feasibility study of telephone peer support to improve older patients' quality of life after emergency department discharge
- A cross-sectional study on risk factors and their interactions with suicidal ideation among the elderly in rural communities of Hunan, China
- Does cadmium exposure contribute to depressive symptoms in the elderly population?
- Caught between intending and doing: older people ideating on a self-chosen death
- Do macroeconomic contractions induce or 'harvest' suicides? A test of competing hypotheses
- GPs may be the last port of call in suicide
- Suicidal feelings in the twilight of life: a cross-sectional population-based study of 97-year-olds
- Risk factors for repetition and suicide following self-harm in older adults: multicentre cohort study
- Suicide in dementia: 9-year national clinical survey in England and Wales
- Controlling the confusion: management of referrals into mental health services for older adults
- Care for suicidal older people: current clinical-ethical considerations
- Treating Depression to Prevent Diabetes and Its Complications: Understanding Depression as a Medical Risk Factor
- The prevention of suicide in later life: a task for GPs?
- Screening may not reduce suicide in later life