Drug intake during RamadanBMJ 2004; 329 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.329.7469.778 (Published 30 September 2004) Cite this as: BMJ 2004;329:778
Web extra references
w1.Shiga T, Fujimura A, Tateishi T, Ohashi K, Ebihara A. Differences of chronopharmacokinetic profiles between propranolol and atenolol in hypertensive subjects. J Clin Pharmacol 1993;33:756-61.
w2.Langner B, Lemmer B. Circadian changes in the pharmacokinetics and cardiovascular effects of oral propranolol in healthy subjects. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1988;33:619-24.
w3.Lemmer B, Nold G, Behne S, Kaiser R. Chronopharmacokinetics and cardiovascular effects of nifedipine. Chronobiol Int 1991;8:485-94.
w4.Erol K, Kilic FS, Batu OS, Yildirim E. Morning-evening administration time differences in digoxin kinetics in healthy young subjects. Chronobiol Int 2001;18:841-9.
w5.Sista S, Lai JC, Eradiri O, Albert KS. Pharmacokinetics of a novel diltiazem HCl extended-release tablet formulation for evening administration. J Clin Pharmacol 2003;43:1149-57.
w6.Witte K, Weisser K, Neubeck M, Mutschler E, Lehmann K, Hopf R, et al. Cardiovascular effects, pharmacokinetics, and converting enzyme inhibition of enalapril after morning versus evening administration. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1993;54:177-86.
w7.Smolensky MH, Scott PH, Harrist RB, Hiatt PH, Wong TK, Baenziger JC, et al. Administration-time-dependency of the pharmacokinetic behavior and therapeutic effect of a once-a-day theophylline in asthmatic children. Chronobiol Int 1987;4:435-47.
w8.Wang P, Qi M, Zhong D, Fang L. Pharmacokinetics of a new sustained-release formulation of theophylline sodium glycerinate in healthy subjects with a new asymmetric dosage regimen. Biomed Chromatogr 2003;17:58-61.
w9.Pincus DJ, Humeston TR, Martin RJ. Further studies on the chronotherapy of asthma with inhaled steroids: the effects of dosage timing on drug efficacy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1997;100:771-4.
w10. Beam WR, Weiner DE, Martin RJ. Timing of prednisone and alterations of airways inflammation in nocturnal asthma. Am Rev Respir Dis 1992;146:1524-30.
w11. Khasawneh SM, Affarah HB. Morning versus evening dose: a comparison of three H2-receptor blockers in duodenal ulcer healing. Am J Gastroenterol 1992;87:1180-2.
w12. Halsas M, Hietala J, Veski P, Jurjenson H, Marvola M. Morning versus evening dosing of ibuprofen using conventional and time-controlled release formulations. Int J Pharm 1999;189:179-85.
w13. Benvenga S, Bartolone L, Squadrito S, Lo Giudice F, Trimarchi F. Delayed intestinal absorption of levothyroxine. Thyroid 1995;5:249-53.
w14. Liel Y, Harman-Boehm I, Shany S. Evidence for a clinically important adverse effect of fiber-enriched diet on the bioavailability of levothyroxine in adult hypothyroid patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996;81:857-9.
w15. Hormones: thyroid hormones. In: Threlkeld DS, ed. Facts and comparisons drug information. St Louis, MO: Facts and Comparisons, 1991:132-3c.
w16. Johnson BF, Rodin SM, Hoch K, Shekar V. The effect of dietary fiber on the bioavailability of digoxin in capsules. J Clin Pharmacol 1987;27:487-90.
w17. Holt GA. Food and drug interactions. Chicago: Precept Press, 1998:93.
w18. Bailey DG, Malcolm J, Arnold O, Spence JD. Grapefruit juice-drug interactions. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1998;46:101–10.
w19. Walle T, Fagan TC, Wall UK, Oexmann MJ, Conradi EC, Gaffney TE. Food-induced increase in propranolol bioavailability—relationship to protein and effects on metabolites. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1981;30:790-5.
w20. Respiratory drugs: bronchodilators, xanthine derivatives. In: Threlkeld DS, ed. Facts and comparisons drug information. St Louis, MO: Facts and Comparisons, 1991:178-9a.
w21. Respiratory drugs: antihistamines. In: Threlkeld DS, ed. Facts and comparisons drug information. St Louis, MO: Facts and Comparisons, 1998:194b.
w22. Dresser GK, Bailey DG, Leake BF, Schwarz UI, Dawson PA, Freeman DJ, et al. Fruit juices inhibit organic anion transporting polypeptide-mediated drug uptake to decrease the oral availability of fexofenadine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2002;71:11–20.
w23. Garg SK, Kumar N, Bhargava VK, Prabhakar SK. Effect of grapefruit juice on carbamazepine bioavailability in patients with epilepsy. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1998;64:286-8.
w24. Ozdemir M, Aktan Y, Boydag BS, Cingi MI, Musmul A. Interaction between grapefruit juice and diazepam in humans. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 1998;23:55-9.
w25. Porras AG. Studies of the oral bioavailability of alendronate. Clin Pharmacokinet 1999;36:315-28.
w26. Gertz BJ, Holland SD, Kline WF, Matuszewski BK, Freeman A, Quan H, et al. Studies of the oral bioavailability of alendronate. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1995;58:288-98.
- This Week In The BMJ Published: 30 September 2004; BMJ 329 doi:10.1136/bmj.329.7469.0-d
- PRIMARY CAREPerceptions and experiences of taking oral hypoglycaemic agents among people of Pakistani and Indian origin: qualitative studyPublished: 09 May 2005; BMJ doi:10.1136/bmj.38460.642789.E0
- Primary CarePerceptions and experiences of taking oral hypoglycaemic agents among people of Pakistani and Indian origin: qualitative studyPublished: 26 May 2005; BMJ 330 doi:10.1136/bmj.38460.642789.E0
- Practice Published: 31 January 2022; BMJ 376 doi:10.1136/bmj-2020-063613
- Advice on sugar and starch is urged in type 2 diabetes counsellingBMJ December 06, 2016, 355 i6543; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6543
- Quitting smoking reduces mortality at any age, study of over 70s findsBMJ December 02, 2016, 355 i6468; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6468
- Individualised advice on type 2 diabetes is no better for changing behaviour, study findsBMJ November 30, 2016, 355 i6444; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6444
- Oral cancer rates rise by two thirdsBMJ November 25, 2016, 355 i6369; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6369
- Combined associations of body weight and lifestyle factors with all cause and cause specific mortality in men and women: prospective cohort studyBMJ November 24, 2016, 355 i5855; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5855
- Ramadan and eye-drops: perspective of Muslims in the UK
- Perceptions and experiences of taking oral hypoglycaemic agents among people of Pakistani and Indian origin: qualitative study