Intended for healthcare professionals

Career Focus

I am interested in training in reconstructive surgery. How can I find specialist consultants or reconstructive units in the UK, Ireland, or Australasia?

BMJ 2004; 329 doi: (Published 04 September 2004) Cite this as: BMJ 2004;329:s92
  1. Jain Abhilash, specialist registrar in plastic surgery
  1. St Thomas' Hospital, London


Got a career or related problem that needs answering? Can't find the right person to point you in the right direction? Log on to the Advice Zone ( for reliable medical careers advice. You can post a question or see if one of our 300 advisers has already answered a similar question. Here is a selection of questions and answers posted on the site.

A full list of UK units and contact names and numbers for all the plastic surgery units in the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland are published on the British Association of Plastic Surgery (BAPS) website ( The BAPS secretariat can be contacted on +44 (0)20 7831 5161.

Details of plastic surgery units in Australia can be obtained by contacting the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons, Suite 503, Level 5,69 Christie Street, St Leonards, NSW 2065, Australia (toll free 1300 367446; tel +612 94379200; fax +612 94379210;


  • More about the Advice Zone

  • Almost 2000 doctors and medical students have already posted their queries on the Advice Zone ( on everything from exams and career choices to maternity leave or bullying bosses. Read what our advisers have suggested, or submit your own question to the panel.

  • What's your advice?

  • If you have anything helpful to add—perhaps you've been in a similar situation yourself—then you can post your own comments on the Advice Zone by going to the relevant section, then select the question and simply click on the “Reply to Question” button. Alternatively, you can send a rapid response to any of the questions and answers on the page.

View Abstract