Intended for healthcare professionals

Career Focus

I am interested in doing genitourinary medicine. I have two years' work experience in this field in India. What are my chances of getting a senior house officer job in this field? Can I apply for an attachment before taking my PLAB test part 2?

BMJ 2004; 328 doi: (Published 19 June 2004) Cite this as: BMJ 2004;328:s242
  1. Alison Bigrigg, president
  1. Faculty of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care


Got a career or related problem that needs answering? Can't find the right person to point you in the right direction? Log on to the Advice Zone ( for reliable medical careers advice. You can post a question or see if one of our 300 advisers has already answered a similar question. Here is a selection of questions and answers posted on the site.

Once you have successfully completed the Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) test part 2 and registered with the General Medical Council, you can apply for senior house officer positions in either genitourinary medicine or sexual and reproductive health. If you are prepared to work anywhere within the United Kingdom, there will be a good variety and range of jobs to apply for. These are advertised in BMJ Careers.

It is much more difficult to get an attachment before passing the PLAB test part 2. If you are resident within the United Kingdom and are interested in doing an attachment, I suggest you approach your local genitourinary medicine department.

View Abstract