Intended for healthcare professionals

Career Focus

I am working as a locum doctor. Can I attend courses such as ALS, MRCS part 1, or ATLS before entering a rotation or a six months post? Where can I find details?

BMJ 2004; 328 doi: (Published 12 June 2004) Cite this as: BMJ 2004;328:s232
  1. Montio Morgan, consultant in ear, nose, and throat
  1. City Hospitals, Sunderland


Got a career or related problem that needs answering? Can't find the right person to point you in the right direction? Log on to the Advice Zone ( for reliable medical careers advice. You can post a question or see if one of our 300 advisers has already answered a similar question. Here is a selection of questions and answers posted on the site.

It depends on how long your locum post is as to what funding you get for study leave. Check with your locum agency what entitlements you have. Obviously, if you are in a substantive post then you are entitled to study leave expenses. The advanced life support (ALS) and the advanced trauma life support (ATLS) courses are usually oversubscribed with long waiting lists. You need to check with the Royal College of Surgeons regarding courses and exams for membership of the college (MRCS). The websites may be useful:

Good luck.

View Abstract