Intended for healthcare professionals

Student Careers

The advice zone

BMJ 2003; 327 doi: (Published 01 September 2003) Cite this as: BMJ 2003;327:0309329

Got a career or university related problem that needs answering? Can't find the right person to point you in the right direction? Log on to the Advice Zone at to post a question or to see if one of our experts has already solved your problem

As an overseas doctor, how can I register to work in the United Kingdom?

Before you can work in the United Kingdom, you will need to register with the General Medical Council. Doctors who are citizens of the European Economic Area and who obtained their basic medical qualification in the European Economic Area are automatically entitled to full registration. Doctors who do not fall into both these categories may need to show competence in English--through the international English language testing system (IELTS)--and a clinical test--the professional and linguistic assessment board (PLAB)--before they are eligible for limited or full registration. You should contact the General Medical Council for further details (

Should I wear make up to an interview?

Only if you are a woman. Joking aside, studies of employment practice have shown that wearing subtle make …

View Full Text

Log in

Log in through your institution


* For online subscription