Retroactive prayer: a preposterous hypothesis?BMJ 2003; 327 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7429.1465 (Published 18 December 2003) Cite this as: BMJ 2003;327:1465
w1 Priestley JB. Man and time. London: WH Allen, 1978:245.
w2 Nagarjuna. Examination of time. In: The fundamental wisdom of the middle way: Nagarjuna’s mulamadhyamakakarika. [Translated by Garfield JL.] New York: Oxford University Press, 1995:50.
w3 Bierman DJ, Radin DI. Conscious and anomalous nonconscious emotional processes: a reversal of the arrow of time? In: SR Hameroff, AW Kaszniak, DJ Chalmers, eds. Toward a science of consciousness. III. The third Tucson discussions and debates. Cambridge: Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press, 1999:367-385.
w4 Boslough J. The enigma of time. National Geographic 1990;177:109-32. (March.)
w5 Maddox J. The unexpected science to come. Sci Am 1999;281:62-7.
w6 Dossey L. The case for nonlocality. In: Reinventing medicine. San Francisco: Harper, 1999:37-84.
w7 Abbot NC. Healing as a therapy for human disease: a systematic review. J Altern Complementary Med 2000;6:159-69.
w8 Benor, DJ. Distant healing. Subtle Energies Energy Med 2002;11:249-64.
w9 Braud W, Schlitz M. A methodology for the objective study of transpersonal imagery. J Sci Exploration 1989;3:43-63.
w10 Schlitz W, Schlitz M. Distant intentionality and healing: assessing the evidence. Alternative Ther 1997;3:62-73.
w11 Roberts L, Ahmed I, Hall S. Intercessory prayer for the alleviation of ill health. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001;(3):AB000368.
w12 Nadeau R, Kafatos M. The EPR thought experiment. In: The non-local universe. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999:67-74.
w13 Einstein A, Podolsky B, Rosen N. Can quantum-mechanical description of physical reality be considered complete? Phys Rev 1935;47:777.
w14 Bell JS. On the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox. Phys I 1964;195-200.
w15 Tittel W, Brendel J, Zbinden H, Gisin N. Violation of Bell inequalities more than 10 km apart. Physical Review Letters 1998;81:3563-66.
w16 Mermin ND. Extreme quantum entanglement in a superposition of macroscopically distinct states. Physical Review Letters 1990;65:1838-40.
w17 Stapp HP. Quantum physics and the physicist’s view of nature: philosophical implications of Bell’s theorem. In: Kitchener RE, ed. The world view of contemporary physics. Albany: SUNY, 1988:40.
w18 Anick D. Letter to editor. Altern Ther Health Med 2000;6:23, 119.
w19 Minkel JR, Musser G. A recycled universe, crashing branes, and cosmic acceleration may power an infinite cycle in which our universe is but a phase. Sci Am 2002. www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000C55B5-C29B-1CDA-B4A8809EC588EEDF (accessed 27 Nov 2003).
w20 Green MB, Schwarz JH, Witten E. Superstring theory. Vol 2: Loop amplitudes, anomalies, and phenomenology. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1988.
w21 Herbert N. Faster than light: superluminal loopholes in physics. New York: New American Library, 1988.
w22 Schmidt H, Stapp H. PK with prerecorded random events and the effects of preobservation. J Parapsychology 1993;57:331-49.
w23 Sagan C. The demon-haunted word. New York: Random House, 1995:302.
w24 Grady D, Herrington D, Bittner V, Blumenthal R, Davidson M, Hlatky M, et al. Cardiovascular disease outcomes during 6.8 years of hormone therapy: heart and estrogen/progestin replacement study follow-up (HERS II). JAMA 2002;288:49-57.
- US government sues Yale’s teaching hospital for age discrimination in testing older doctorsBMJ February 18, 2020, 368 m639; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m639
- Royal College of Pathologists: president elect is barred after misconduct allegations are upheldBMJ February 18, 2020, 368 m638; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m638
- Measuring multimorbidity beyond counting diseases: systematic review of community and population studies and guide to index choiceBMJ February 18, 2020, 368 m160; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m160
- UK deal over inclisiranBMJ February 18, 2020, 368 m579; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m579
- Matt Morgan: When nothing is the right thing to sayBMJ February 18, 2020, 368 m574; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m574
- The 3 H and BMSEST Models for Spirituality in Multicultural Whole-Person Medicine
- Retroactive prayer: lots of history, not much mystery, and no science