Risk communication in practice: the contribution of decision aidsBMJ 2003; 327 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7417.736 (Published 25 September 2003) Cite this as: BMJ 2003;327:736
- References w1-w14
w1. Wennberg JE. Unwarranted variations in healthcare delivery: implications for academic medical centres. BMJ 2002;325:961-4.
w2. Lester G, Smith S, Listening and talking to patients. A remedy for malpractice suits? West J Med 1993;158:268-72.
w3. Muir Gray JA. Evidence-based medicine for professionals. In: Edwards A, Elwyn G, eds. Evidence-based patient choice. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001:19-33.
w4. Towle A, Godolphin W. Education and training of health care professionals. In: Edwards A, Elwyn G, eds. Evidence-based patient choice. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001:245-69.
w5. Coulter A. The future. In: Edwards A, Elwyn G, eds. Evidence-based patient choice. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001:308-21.
w6. Schofield T. Evidence based patient choice in primary health care. In: Edwards A, Elwyn G, eds. Evidence-based patient choice. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001:181-90.
w7. Sackett DL, Straus SE, Richardson WS, Rosenberg W, Haynes RB. Evidence-based medicine. How to practice and teach EBM. 2nd ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone. 2000.
w8. Tugwell P, Boers M, Brooks P, Shea B, Simon L, Strand V et al. Evidence based rheumatology. London: BMJ Publishing, in press.
w9. Riemsma RP, Pattenden J, Bridle C, Sowden AJ, Mather L, Watt IS, et al. Systematic review of the effectiveness of stage based interventions to promote smoking cessation. BMJ 2003;326:1175-7.
w10. O’Connor, A.M. Validation of a decisional conflict scale. Med Decis Making 1995;15:25-30.
w11. Guimond P, Bunn H, O’Connor A, Jacobsen MJ, Tait V, Drake E, et al. Validation of a tool to assess health practitioners’ decision support and communication skills. Patient Educ Couns (in press).
w12. Légaré F, O’Connor AM, Graham ID, Wells GA, Jacobsen MJ, Elmslie T, et al. The effect of decision aids on the agreement between women’s and physician’s decisional conflict about hormone replacement therapy. Patient Educ Couns 2003;50:211-21.
w13. O’Connor A, Jacobsen MJ, Elmslie T, Jolly E, Wells G, Bunn H, et al. Simple vs complex patient decision aids: is more necessarily better? Med Decis Making 2000;20:A496.
w14. Kemper DW, Mettler M. Information therapy. Boise, ID: Healthwise Incorporated, 2002.
- Editor's Choice Published: 25 September 2003; BMJ 327 doi:10.1136/bmj.327.7417.0-f
- Editorial Published: 25 September 2003; BMJ 327 doi:10.1136/bmj.327.7417.691
- Editorial Published: 31 January 2008; BMJ 336 doi:10.1136/bmj.39435.643275.BE
- Analysis Published: 27 January 2012; BMJ 344 doi:10.1136/bmj.e256
- Chemoprevention of colorectal cancer in individuals with previous colorectal neoplasia: systematic review and network meta-analysisBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6188; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6188
- NHS to fund large trial of pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV preventionBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6537; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6537
- Bill to boost medical research funding and speed drug approval passes US houseBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6498; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6498
- Alpha blockers for treatment of ureteric stones: systematic review and meta-analysisBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6112; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6112
- Sixty seconds on . . . solanezumabBMJ November 29, 2016, 355 i6389; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6389
- Evaluating quality in adolescent mental health services: a systematic review
- Does a web-based decision aid improve informed choice for fertility preservation in women with breast cancer (DECISIF)? Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial
- Role of patient preferences in clinical practice guidelines: a multiple methods study using guidelines from oncology as a case
- Do choosing wisely tools meet criteria for patient decision aids? A descriptive analysis of patient materials
- Team science for science communication
- Assessing fitness to drive in the elderly and those with medical conditions: guidelines should specify methods and evidence
- Interactive Preventive Health Record to Enhance Delivery of Recommended Care: A Randomized Trial
- Shared decision making: really putting patients at the centre of healthcare
- Clinical Prediction Rules for Children: A Systematic Review
- Patient and public involvement in clinical guidelines: international experiences and future perspectives
- Are you SURE?: Assessing patient decisional conflict with a 4-item screening test
- Patient Decisions About Breast Cancer Chemoprevention: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- Involving patients in cardiovascular risk management with nurse-led clinics: a cluster randomized controlled trial
- Coaching to support patients in making decisions
- The role of communication in paediatric drug safety
- Patient Education on Prostate Cancer Screening and Involvement in Decision Making
- How Physicians Approach Prostate Cancer Screening Before and After Losing a Lawsuit
- A systematic review of postcoital bleeding and risk of cervical cancer
- Uptake rates for breast cancer genetic testing: a systematic review.
- A chairside aid for shared decision making in dentistry: a randomized controlled trial.
- Teaching evidence-based practice on foot
- Teaching evidence-based practice on foot
- Risk, rationality, and regret: responding to the uncertainty of childhood food anaphylaxis
- Haemoglobinopathy screening: an end to institutional racism?
- Perspectives, Preferences, Care Practices, and Outcomes in Late-Stage Cancer Patients: Connecting the Dots
- Evidence based medicine has come a long way
- Is evidence based patient choice feasible?
- Communicating risks