Effectiveness of neuraminidase inhibitors in treatment and prevention of influenza A and B: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trialsBMJ 2003; 326 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.326.7401.1235 (Published 05 June 2003) Cite this as: BMJ 2003;326:1235
- Posted as submitted
List of trials included in the systematic review
NI treatment trials
NAIB2007, NAIA3002: GlaxoSmithKline database
NAIA2005, NAIB2005:Hayden FG, Osterhaus ADME, Treanor JJ, Fleming DM, Aoki FY, Nicholson KG, Bohnen AM, Hirst HM, Keene O, and Wightman K. Efficacy and safety of the neuraminidase inhibitor zanamivir in the treatment of influenza virus infections. New England Journal of Medicine. 1997; 337(13):874-880.
WV15730: FDA\Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) website. Http://www.fda.gov/cder/approval/index.htm
NAI30010: Hayden FG, Gubareva LV, Monto AS, Klein TC, Elliott MJ, Hammond JM, Sharp SJ, and Ossi MJ. Inhaled Zanamivir for the prevention of influenza in families. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2000; 343(18):1282-1289.
NAI30009: Hedrick JA, Barzilia A, Behre U, Henderson FW, Hammond J, Reilly L and Keene O. Zanamivir in the treatment of symptomatic influenza A and B in children five to twelve years of age: a randomised controlled trial. Pediatric Infectious Diseases Journal. 2000; 19(5):410-417.
NAIB3002: Makela MJ, Pauksens K, Rostila T, Fleming DM, Man CY, Keene ON and Webster A. Clinical efficacy and safety of the orally inhaled neuraminidase inhibitor zanamivir in the treatment of influenza: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled European study. Journal of Infection. 2000; 40(1):42-48.
NAIB3001: MIST. Randomised trial of efficacy and safety of inhaled zanamivir in treatment of influenza A and B virus infections. The MIST (Management of Influenza in the Southern Hemisphere Trialists) Study Group. Lancet. 1998; 352(914):1877-1881.
NAI30008: Murphy KR, Eivindson A, Pauksens K, Stein WJ, Tellier G, Watts R, Leophonte P, Sharp SJ, and Loeschel E. Efficacy and safety of inhaled Zanamivir for the treatment of influenza in patients with asthma or chronic obstrucitve pulmonary disease: a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, multicentre study. Clinical Drug Investigation. 2000; 20(5):337-349.
WV15670: Nicholson KG, Aoki FY, Osterhaus ADME, Trottier S, Carewicz O, Mercier CH, Rode A, Kinnersley N and Ward P. Efficacy and safety of oseltamivir in treatment of acute influenza: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2000; 355(9218):1845-1850.
WV15671: Treanor JJ, Hayden FG, Vrooman PS, Barbarash R, Bettis R, Riff D, Singh S, Kinnersley N, Ward P and Mills RG. Efficacy and safety of the oral neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir in treating acute influenza: a randomized controlled trial. US Oral Neuraminidase Study Group. JAMA. 2000; 283(8):1016-1024.
WV15758: Whitley RJ, Hayden FG, Reisinger KS, Young N, Dutkowski R, Ipe D, Mills R G and Ward P. Oral oseltamivir treatment of influenza in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2001; 20(2):127-33.
NI prevention trials
WV15673, WV15697: Hayden FG, Atmar RL, Schilling M, Johnson C, Poretz D, Paar D, Huson L, Ward P and Mills RG. Use of the selective oral neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir to prevent influenza. New England Journal of Medicine. 1999; 341(18):1336-1343.
NAI30010: Hayden FG, Gubareva LV, Monto AS, Klein TC, Elliott MJ, Hammond JM, Sharp SJ and Ossi MJ. Inhaled Zanamivir for the prevention of influenza in families. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2000; 343(18):1282-1289.
NAIA2009, NAIB2009: Kaiser L, Henry D, Flack NP, Keene O and Hayden FG. Short-term treatment with zanamivir to prevent influenza: results of a placebo-controlled study. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2000; 30(3):587-589.
NAIA3005: Monto AS, Robinson DP, Herlocher ML, Hinson JM, Elliott MJ and Crisp A. Zanamivir in the prevention of influenza among healthy adults - a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 1999; 282(1):31-35.
WV15825: Peters PH, Gravenstein S, Norwood P, De Bock V, Van Couter A, Gibbens M, von Planta T and Ward P. Long term use of oseltamivir for the prophylaxis of influenza in a vaccinated frail elderly population. Journal of American Geriatrics Society. 2001; 49(8):1025-31.
WV15799: Welliver R, Monto AS, Carewicz O, Schatteman E, Hassman M, Hedrick J, Jackson HC, Huson L, Ward P, Oxford JS and Oseltamivir Post Exposure Prophylaxis Investigator Group. Effectivess of Oseltamivir in Preventing Influenza in Household Contacts: a randomised controlled trial. JAMA. 2001; 285(6):748-754.
- This Week In The BMJ Published: 05 June 2003; BMJ 326 doi:10.1136/bmj.326.7401.0
- Editorial Published: 05 June 2003; BMJ 326 doi:10.1136/bmj.326.7401.1223
- Analysis And Comment Published: 30 March 2006; BMJ 332 doi:10.1136/bmj.332.7544.786
- Feature Published: 04 June 2010; BMJ 340 doi:10.1136/bmj.c2912
- Editorial Published: 14 June 2007; BMJ 334 doi:10.1136/bmj.39240.497025.80
- ResearchZanamivir for influenza in adults and children: systematic review of clinical study reports and summary of regulatory commentsPublished: 09 April 2014; BMJ 348 doi:10.1136/bmj.g2547
- Letter Published: 22 January 2004; BMJ 328 doi:10.1136/bmj.328.7433.227
- Letter Published: 10 July 2003; BMJ 327 doi:10.1136/bmj.327.7406.105-c
- Letter Published: 10 July 2003; BMJ 327 doi:10.1136/bmj.327.7406.105-a
- Letter Published: 10 July 2003; BMJ 327 doi:10.1136/bmj.327.7406.105-b
- News Published: 03 November 2005; BMJ 331 doi:10.1136/bmj.331.7524.1041
- Chemoprevention of colorectal cancer in individuals with previous colorectal neoplasia: systematic review and network meta-analysisBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6188; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6188
- NHS to fund large trial of pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV preventionBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6537; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6537
- Bill to boost medical research funding and speed drug approval passes US houseBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6498; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6498
- Alpha blockers for treatment of ureteric stones: systematic review and meta-analysisBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6112; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6112
- Sixty seconds on . . . solanezumabBMJ November 29, 2016, 355 i6389; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6389
- Inactivated Influenza Vaccine That Provides Rapid, Innate-Immune-System-Mediated Protection and Subsequent Long-Term Adaptive Immunity
- Zanamivir for influenza in adults and children: systematic review of clinical study reports and summary of regulatory comments
- Factors influencing the diagnostic accuracy of the rapid influenza antigen detection test (RIADT): a cross-sectional study
- High Levels and Safety of Oseltamivir Carboxylate Plasma Concentrations after Nasogastric Administration in Critically Ill Children in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- WHO and the pandemic flu "conspiracies"
- Myositis, rhabdomyolysis and compartment syndrome complicating influenza A in a child
- Neuraminidase inhibitors for preventing and treating influenza in healthy adults: systematic review and meta-analysis
- Influenza A (H1N1) pandemic: true or false alarm
- Effects of Oseltamivir on Influenza-Related Complications in Children With Chronic Medical Conditions
- Use of Oseltamivir After Influenza Infection Is Associated With Reduced Incidence of Recurrent Adverse Cardiovascular Outcomes Among Military Health System Beneficiaries With Prior Cardiovascular Diseases
- Viral infections in paediatric patients receiving conventional cancer chemotherapy
- Tamiflu and neuropsychiatric disturbance in adolescents
- Antiviral Therapy and Prophylaxis for Influenza in Children
- Pandemic flu: clinical management of patients with an influenza-like illness during an influenza pandemic
- Insights into the Interaction between Influenza Virus and Pneumococcus
- Influenza pandemic preparedness in France: modelling the impact of interventions
- An iatrogenic pandemic of panic
- Experts question wisdom of stockpiling oseltamivir
- Influenza burden of illness, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention: what is the evidence in children and where are the gaps?
- High Prevalence of Respiratory Viral Infections in Patients Hospitalized in an Intensive Care Unit for Acute Respiratory Infections as Detected by Nucleic Acid-Based Assays
- A DNA Aptamer Prevents Influenza Infection by Blocking the Receptor Binding Region of the Viral Hemagglutinin
- How to deal with influenza?
- Implications of the incidence of influenza-like illness in nursing homes for influenza chemoprophylaxis: descriptive study
- Tackling the next influenza pandemic
- Guidelines on neuraminidase inhibitors in children are not supported by evidence
- Other articles noted: 25 Jul 03 to 7 Nov 03
- Neuraminidase Inhibitors Are Effective but Costly
- Neuraminidase inhibitors for influenza A and B: Study showed benefits of treatment are marginal
- Neuraminidase inhibitors for influenza A and B: PROSE may be as useful as POEMs
- Neuraminidase inhibitors for influenza A and B: Antivirals need to be protected from adverse conditions to retain effectiveness
- Preventing and treating influenza