Efficacy and tolerability of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors compared with tricyclic antidepressants in depression treated in primary care: systematic review and meta-analysisBMJ 2003; 326 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.326.7397.1014 (Published 10 May 2003) Cite this as: BMJ 2003;326:1014
References to included studies
Christiansen PE, Behnke K, Black CH, Ohrstrom JK, Bork Rasmussen H, Nilsson J. Paroxetine and amitriptyline in the treatment of depression in general-practice. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1996;3:158-63.
Corne SJ, Hall JR. A double-blind comparative study of fluoxetine and dothiepin in the treatment of depression in general-practice. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 1989;4:245-54.
Doogan DP, Langdon CJ. A double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of sertraline and dothiepin in the treatment of major depression in general-practice. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 1994;9:95-100.
Freed E, Goldney R Lambert T, Tiller J, Johnston R. A double-blind, multicentre study to assess the tolerability and efficacy of paroxetine compared with amitriptyline in the treatment of depressed patients in Australian general practice. Austr N Z J Psychiatry 1999;33:416-21.
Malt UF, Robak OH, Madsbu HP, Bakke O, Loeb M. The Norwegian naturalistic treatment study of depression in general practice (NORDEP)-i: randomised double blind study. BMJ 1999;318:1180-4.
Moon CA, Jesinger DK. The effects of psychomotor performance of fluvoxamine versus mianserin in depressed patients in general-practice. Br J Clin Pract 1991;45:259-62.
Moon CAL, Jago W, Wood K, Doogan DP. A double-blind comparison of sertraline and clomipramine in the treatment of major depressive disorder and associated anxiety in general-practice. J Psychopharmacol 1994;8:171-6.
Moon CA, Vince M. Treatment of major depression in general-practice: a double-blind comparison of paroxetine and lofepramine. Br J Clin Pract 1996;50:240-4.
Ravindran AV, Judge R, Hunter BN, Bray J, Morton NH. A double-blind, multicentre study in primary care comparing paroxetine and clomipramine in patients with depression and associated anxiety. Paroxetine Study Group. J Clin Psychiatry 1997;58:112-8.
Rosenberg C, Damsbo N, Fuglum E, Jacobsen LV, Horsgard S. Citalopram and imipramine in the treatment of depressive patients in general-practice. A Nordic multicentre clinical study. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 1994;9(suppl1):41-8.
Thompson C, Peveler RC, Stephenson D, McKendrick J. Compliance with antidepressant medication in the treatment of major depressive disorder in primary care: a randomized comparison of fluoxetine and a tricyclic antidepressant. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:338-43
References to excluded studies
Fairweather DB. The effects of fluoxetine and dothiepin on cognitive function in depressed patients in general practice. Hum Psychopharmacol 1999;14:325-32.
Fuglum E. Screening and treating depressed patients A comparison of two controlled citalopram trials across treatment settings: hospitalized patients vs patients treated by their family doctors. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1996;94:18-25.
Kornstein SG. Gender differences in treatment response to sertraline versus imipramine in chronic depression. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:1445-52.
Hunter B. A double-blind, multicentre study in primary-care comparing paroxetine and clomipramine in patients with depression with associated anxiety. 8th European College of Neuropsychopharmacology Congress, Venice, Italy, 1995.
Lecrubier Y. Use of the mini-international neuropsychiatric interview to diagnose comorbid depression and anxiety. 10th European College of Neuropsychopharmacology Congress, Vienna, Austria, 13-17 September 1997.
McKendrick J. Compliance with antidepressant treatment of depression in primary care in the UK. 11th European College of Neuropsychopharmacology Congress, Paris, France, 31 October-4 November, 1998.
Szegedi A. Response to treatment in minor and major depression: results of a double-blind comparative study with paroxetine and maprotiline. J Affect Dis 1997;45:167-78.
- This Week In The BMJ Published: 10 May 2003; BMJ 326 doi:10.1136/bmj.326.7397.0/d
- Editor's Choice Published: 10 May 2003; BMJ 326 doi:10.1136/bmj.326.7397.0/f
- WEBSITE OF THE WEEK Published: 10 May 2003; BMJ 326 doi:10.1136/bmj.326.7397.1042/a
- Letter Published: 31 July 2003; BMJ 327 doi:10.1136/bmj.327.7409.289-a
- Child health is in crisis as government ignores widening inequalities, paediatricians warnBMJ April 01, 2023, 381 p765; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.p765
- When I use a word . . . .Devising bioscience definitionsBMJ March 31, 2023, 380 p768; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.p768
- Sixty seconds on . . . the end of HEEBMJ March 31, 2023, 380 p767; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.p767
- CQC must overhaul the way it deals with whistleblowers, review concludesBMJ March 31, 2023, 380 p764; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.p764
- Healthy masculinities: encouraging equality starts before birthBMJ March 31, 2023, 380 p722; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.p722
- The Sustained Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Are Independent of the Lateral Habenula
- Are men under-treated and women over-treated with antidepressants? Findings from a cross-sectional survey in Sweden
- Inhibition of Efavirenz Metabolism by Sertraline and Nortriptyline and Their Effect on Efavirenz Plasma Concentrations
- Efficacy and Acceptability of Pharmacological Treatments for Depressive Disorders in Primary Care: Systematic Review and Network Meta-Analysis
- Pharmacokinetic Interaction between Nevirapine and Nortriptyline in Rats: Inhibition of Nevirapine Metabolism by Nortriptyline
- Inhibition of Serotonin Reuptake by Antidepressants and Cerebral Microbleeds in the General Population
- Interpreting research findings to guide treatment in practice
- St John's wort versus paroxetine for depression
- Tricyclics vs. SSRIs in Primary Care
- Tricyclic Antidepressants or SSRIs in Primary Care?