What should we say to patients with symptoms unexplained by disease? The “number needed to offend”BMJ 2002; 325 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.325.7378.1449 (Published 21 December 2002) Cite this as: BMJ 2002;325:1449
Posted as supplied by author. The "number needed to offend"—the number of patients that you would have to give this diagnosis to before one thinks you are suggesting that they are "putting it on," "mad," or "imagining their symptoms" (bars represent 95% confidence intervals)
- Experts protest Trump’s withdrawal from WHOBMJ July 10, 2020, 370 m2802; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m2802
- Covid-19: Government is criticised for “scandalous” £10bn spent on test and trace programmeBMJ July 10, 2020, 370 m2805; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m2805
- Covid-19: Many trusts have not done risk assessments for ethnic minority staff, BMJ investigation findsBMJ July 10, 2020, 370 m2792; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m2792
- Covid-19: The inside story of the RECOVERY trialBMJ July 10, 2020, 370 m2800; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m2800
- Covid-19: Symptoms are common after acute phase of disease, Italian study showsBMJ July 10, 2020, 370 m2804; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m2804
- Doctors ongoing education, empathy, and continuous emotional and psychological support for patients might help to deal with their medically unexplained symptoms
- Biopolitics, psychosomatics, participating bodies
- CBT to reduce healthcare use for medically unexplained symptoms: systematic review and meta-analysis
- Who thinks functional neurological symptoms are feigned, and what can we do about it?
- Paralympics and conversion disorder
- Hysteria, conversion and functional disorders: a neurological contribution to classification issues
- All in the mind?
- The function of 'functional': a mixed methods investigation
- Persistent pain: not a medically unexplained symptom
- Effects of an educational video film in fatigued children and adolescents: a randomised controlled trial
- Intelligence is negatively associated with the number of functional somatic symptoms
- Fibromyalgia Wars
- How fatigue is related to other somatic symptoms
- Medically unexplained physical symptoms in emergency medicine.
- La belle indifference in conversion symptoms and hysteria: Systematic review
- Ayurveda: the knowledge of life
- Functional symptoms in neurology: management
- Do biomedical models of illness make for good healthcare systems?
- Somatoform disorders: a help or hindrance to good patient care?
- The making of a disease: female sexual dysfunction