Data dredging, bias, or confoundingBMJ 2002; 325 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.325.7378.1437 (Published 21 December 2002) Cite this as: BMJ 2002;325:1437
w1 Bartlett B, Sterne J, Egger M. What is newsworthy? Longitudinal study of the reporting of medical research in two British newspapers. BMJ 2002;325:81-4.
w2 Taubes G. Epidemiology faces its limits. Science 1995;269:164-9.
w3 Hooper L, Ness AR. Davey Smith G. Antioxidant strategy for cardiovascular diseases. Lancet. 2001;357:1705-6
w4 Laurence J. Eating fruit halves the risk of an early death. Independent 2001 March 4:13.
w5 Le Fanu J. The rise and fall of modern medicine. New York: Little Brown, 1999.
w6 Skrabanek P. Has risk-factor epidemiology outlived its usefulness? Am J Epidemiol 1993;138:1016-7.
w7 Sterne J, Davey Smith G. Sifting the evidence—what’s wrong with significance tests? BMJ 2001;322:226-31.
w8 Lawlor DA, Bedford C, Taylor M, Ebrahim S. Geographic variation in cardiovascular disease, risk factors and their control in older women: British Women’s Heart and Health Study. J Epidemiol Comm Health (in press).
w9 Davey Smith G, Phillips AN. Confounding in epidemiological studies: why "independent" effects may not be all they seem. BM J 1992;305:757-9.
w10 Phillips A, Davey Smith G. How independent are "independent" effects? Relative risk estimation when correlated exposures are measured imprecisely. J Clin Epidemiol 1991;44:1223-31.
w11 Phillips AN, Davey Smith G. The design of prospective epidemiological studies: more subjects or better measurements? J Clin Epidemiol 1993;46:1203-11.
w12 Phillips AN, Davey Smith G. Cigarette smoking as a potential cause of cervical cancer: has confounding been controlled? Int J Epidemiol 1994;23:42-9.
w13 Greenland S. Basic methods for sensitivity analysis. Int J Epidemiol 1996;25:1107-16.
w14 Clayton D, McKeigue PM. Epidemiological methods for studying genes and environmental factors in complex diseases. Lancet 2001;358:1356-60.
- RESEARCH Published: 19 July 2006; BMJ doi:10.1136/bmj.38895.410451.79
- Research Published: 27 July 2006; BMJ 333 doi:10.1136/bmj.38895.410451.79
- Research Methods & ReportingStrengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology using mendelian randomisation (STROBE-MR): explanation and elaborationPublished: 26 October 2021; BMJ 375 doi:10.1136/bmj.n2233
- Chemoprevention of colorectal cancer in individuals with previous colorectal neoplasia: systematic review and network meta-analysisBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6188; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6188
- NHS to fund large trial of pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV preventionBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6537; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6537
- Bill to boost medical research funding and speed drug approval passes US houseBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6498; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6498
- Alpha blockers for treatment of ureteric stones: systematic review and meta-analysisBMJ December 01, 2016, 355 i6112; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6112
- Sixty seconds on . . . solanezumabBMJ November 29, 2016, 355 i6389; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6389
- Infant Vaccination Does Not Predict Increased Infant Mortality Rate: Correcting Past Misinformation
- Estimating the genetically predicted effects of lifestyle risk factors, educational attainment and Alzheimers disease liability on weight change during midlife
- Transcriptome-wide Mendelian randomization study prioritising novel tissue-dependent genes for glioma susceptibility
- A Bayesian analysis of the association between Leukotriene A4 Hydrolase genotype and survival probability of tuberculous meningitis patients treated with adjunctive dexamethasone
- Problem with p values: why p values do not tell you if your treatment is likely to work
- Reply to Quintana et al.: Behavior is an unlikely mediator of fluoxetine effects on ovulation in rabbits
- Biomarker de-Mendelization: principles, potentials and limitations of a strategy to improve biomarker prediction by reducing the component of variance explained by genotype
- GWAS identifies 10 loci for objectively-measured physical activity and sleep with causal roles in cardiometabolic disease
- Orienting the causal relationship between imprecisely measured traits using genetic instruments
- MELODI - Mining Enriched Literature Objects to Derive Intermediates
- La declaration RECORD (Reporting of Studies Conducted Using Observational Routinely Collected Health Data) : directives pour la communication des etudes realisees a partir de donnees de sante collectees en routine
- Circulating Metabolic Biomarkers of Screen-Detected Prostate Cancer in the ProtecT Study
- Developmental Programming of Obesity and Diabetes in Mouse, Monkey, and Man in 2018: Where Are We Headed?
- Best (but oft-forgotten) practices: the design, analysis, and interpretation of Mendelian randomization studies
- Registration of protocols for observational research is unnecessary and would do more harm than good
- Mendelian Randomization in the Era of Genomewide Association Studies
- Registration of observational studies
- Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Mortality and Events With Statin Treatments: A Network Meta-Analysis Involving More Than 65,000 Patients
- Effects of prolonged and exclusive breastfeeding on child height, weight, adiposity, and blood pressure at age 6.5 y: evidence from a large randomized trial
- Cannabis use and psychosis: the origins and implications of an association
- Chosen by Michael King
- Infant feeding method and obesity: body mass index and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry measurements at 9-10 y of age from the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC)
- Adherence to the Polyp Prevention Trial Dietary Intervention Is Associated with a Behavioral Pattern of Adherence to Nondietary Trial Requirements and General Health Recommendations
- Believability of relative risks and odds ratios in abstracts: cross sectional study
- Randomised by (your) god: robust inference from an observational study design
- Embodiment: a conceptual glossary for epidemiology
- Issues in the reporting of epidemiological studies: a survey of recent practice
- Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials
- Effect of NSAIDs on risk of Alzheimer's disease: Confounding factors were not discussed
- Psychosocial factors and public health