A day in the life of an advertising man: review of internal documents from the UK tobacco industry's principal advertising agenciesBMJ 2000; 321 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.321.7257.366 (Published 05 August 2000) Cite this as: BMJ 2000;321:366
References for internal documents
w1 CDP (Collet Dickenson Pierce). Submission from CDP to the Health Committee House of CommonsC Gallaher briefs, 1996.
w2 Rothmans (Young adult smokers: smoking behaviour and lifestyles 1994-1997. UK Marketing Services, Oct, 1998.
w3 Musto Merriman Herring and Levy. Lambert and Butler characters discussion: Creative brief. 6 Jun, 1998.
w4 CDP (Collet Dickenson Pierce). Submission from CDP to the Health Committee House of CommonsC Gallaher memos, 1998.
w5 Miscellaneous/unreferenced documents.
w6 Rothmans (UK) Cigarette brand switching July 1996-June 1998: report. Consumer Research Department. Oct, 1998.
w7 Silk Cut 1998 planning day. Report, 1998.
w8 Market Trends. Silk Cut research, prepared for Gallaher. Nov, 1995.
w9 Calcraft Buck. Silk Cut Ultra: advertising research debrief. 8 May, 1997.
w10 Synergy Consulting. Analysis of values held by Silk Cut smokers. Presentation, 17 Jul, 1995.
w11 Rickards Karen. Motivations for competitor "lights": memo to Christine Barrass, Gallaher, 9 Jan, 1996.
w12 CDP (Collet Dickenson Pierce). Benson and Hedges: Creative brief, 8 Feb, 1995. Submission from CDP to Health Committee House of Commons—Gallaher briefs, 1995.
w13 Roozeman Patrick. Silk Cut from a low price perspective: memo to Patrick Billson, Gallaher, 29 Jun, 1999.
w14 TBWA. Topline conclusions.
w15 CDP (Collet Dickenson Pierce). Submission from CDP to Health Committee House of Commons—Gallaher letters, 1997.
w16 CDP (Collet Dickenson Pierce). Submission from the CDP to the Health Committee House of Commons—Gallaher presentations, 1998. No 2.
w17 Rothmans (UK). Marlboro house press and posters: Creative brief, 12 Aug, 1996.
w18 Marketing Service. Tens Packs Report, Aug 1997.
w19 Colquhoun Associates. Brand equity check for Benson and Hedges in conjunction with exploration of the Gratis catalogue loyalty scheme: the qualitative research summary report prepared for Gallaher, Jun 1996.
w20 M&C Saatchi. Rugby League/Silk Cut: Creative brief, 26 Aug, 1997.
w21 M&C Saatchi. Whitbread Sponsorship/Silk Cut: Creative brief for Gallaher, 14 Oct, 1996.
w22 Marlboro proposal for ad and brand tracking. Prepared for Rothmans UK, Jun 1997.
w23 CDP (Collet Dickenson Pierce). Memo from Barry Jenner to Rupert Pyrah, 20 Jan, 1998. Submission from CDP to the Health Committee House of Commons—Gallaher faxes, 1998.
w24 Market Trends. Renaissance Silk Grand Tour. Report prepared for Gallaher, Jul 1996.
w25 M&C Saatchi. Renaissance/Silk Cut: Creative brief, 7 May, 1996.
w26 Sovereign—Research implications for advertising strategy: a discussion paper, 5 May, 1998.
w27 Gallaher New product Development. Potential areas for research: slides, 2 Oct, 1997.
w28 Lewis Mark. Internal memo to Ben Langdon.
w29 Silk Cut Challenge Cup Internet Site: Outline brief.
w30 The brief.
w31 CDP (Collet Dickenson Pierce). Benson and Hedges Special Filter: creative brief, 22 May, 1997. Submission from CDP to Health Committee House of Commons—Gallaher briefs, 1997.
w32 CDP (Collet Dickenson Pierce). Advertising support for Gratis II catalogue agency recommendation. Submission from CDP to the Health Committee House of Commons—Gallaher strategic analysis papers, 1995.
w33 M&C Saatchi. Final, 16 Aug, 1999.
w34 CDP (Collet Dickenson Pierce). Submission from CDP to Health Committee House of Commons—Gallaher presentations, 1995. No 2.
- Editorial Published: 05 August 2000; BMJ 321 doi:10.1136/bmj.321.7257.312
- Editorial Published: 05 August 2000; BMJ 321 doi:10.1136/bmj.321.7257.313
- Letter Published: 06 January 2001; BMJ 322 doi:10.1136/bmj.322.7277.52
- Return of the “firm” gets cautious welcomeBMJ December 07, 2016, 355 i6556; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6556
- NHS hospitals must help patients quit smoking, says British Thoracic SocietyBMJ December 07, 2016, 355 i6571; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6571
- US to ban smoking in public housingBMJ December 06, 2016, 355 i6562; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6562
- Advice on sugar and starch is urged in type 2 diabetes counsellingBMJ December 06, 2016, 355 i6543; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6543
- Evidence review ordered by government backs minimum alcohol pricingBMJ December 05, 2016, 355 i6546; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i6546
- Flemish adolescents' perceptions of cigarette plain packaging: a qualitative study with focus group discussions
- Tobacco industry targeting youth in Argentina
- Every document and picture tells a story: using internal corporate document reviews, semiotics, and content analysis to assess tobacco advertising
- Tobacco Promotion and the Initiation of Tobacco Use: Assessing the Evidence for Causality
- How Philip Morris built Marlboro into a global brand for young adults: implications for international tobacco control
- Industry sponsored youth smoking prevention programme in Malaysia: a case study in duplicity
- Targeting of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders by the tobacco industry: results from the Minnesota Tobacco Document Depository
- Trends in prevalence of current smoking, Massachusetts and states without tobacco control programmes, 1990 to 1999
- Re-evaluating gender and smoking in Thunderbirds 35 years on
- The cigarette pack as image: new evidence from tobacco industry documents
- Doesn't everyone know that purpose of advertising is to promote products?
- The Engle verdicts and tobacco litigation
- The truth about big tobacco in its own words