Paediatric cardiac transplant surgery has improvedBMJ 1999; 318 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.318.7188.944 (Published 03 April 1999) Cite this as: BMJ 1999;318:944
- C Wigfield, Paediatric cardiac surgical fellow (email@example.com),
- H C Leonard, Specialist registrar paediatric cardiology,
- J R L Hamilton, Consultant paediatric cardiac surgeon,
- A Hasan, Consultant paediatric cardiac surgeon,
- J H Dark, Consultant in cardiothoracic surgery
- Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne NE7 7DN (for Dr Wigfield)
EDITOR—Kelly and Mayer's editorial highlights current issues in paediatric transplantation.1 We think that the survival figures quoted for heart transplantation in children under the age of 6 are unduly pessimistic (60% at two years—figures for 1992 cited); they do not reflect recent improvements in this group.