Intended for healthcare professionals


George Andrew Douglas GordonBasil Sydney GrantJohn Alexander Holden HendersonSadrudin Kassam Mohamed JivaniAndrew Edward Bertie MatthewsStanley Septimus PavillardAlastair Ian RossHelen Mary Slack (née Taylor)Tamirisa Venkateswarlu (“Tom Venkat”)James WatsonBenjamin Weinstein

BMJ 1997; 315 doi: (Published 20 September 1997) Cite this as: BMJ 1997;315:752

George Andrew Douglas Gordon

Embedded Image

Former consultant radiologist Willesden General and Moorfields Eye hospitals (b Richmond, Surrey, 1909; q Edinburgh 1931), died of myocardial failure on 23 May 1997. He joined his father in general practice, but enlisted on the day that war broke out and served with the British Expeditionary Force, then in Egypt, Palestine, Malta, and Italy. He soon turned to his major interest, radiology, concentrating on research into techniques for identifying abnormalities in the brain, first with electroencephalography and then ultrasound. He carried out much of the early work on establishing safe levels of ultrasound for the diagnosis and treatment of Ménière's disease, opened the first department of ultrasonic radiology in Britain, and later worked on the use of ultrasound to detect pulmonary embolism. For a medical graduate he was unique in being able to build his own electronic apparatus, building x ray apparatus in Cairo out of bits left behind in Libya by the retreating Italians. The holder of over 20 international patents for medical electronic apparatus, he devoted much of his personal wealth to his research and travelled round the world giving lectures. After retirement he was appointed visiting professor in bioengineering at the City University in London. He leaves a wife, Muriel; a son; and three daughters.

[A G Gordon]

Basil Sydney Grant

General practitioner East Horsley 1946-77 (b 1910; q The London 1934), d 1 July 1997. He entered general practice in Fulham on the death of his father, serving as divisional police surgeon during the blitz. Joining the Royal Air Force in 1940, he spent some time at Bomber Command and then three years in Burma and India. In Horsley he was singlehanded for over 20 years before joining the local health centre, and was active in the local BMA division, of which he became chairman. He was also a …

View Full Text

Log in

Log in through your institution


* For online subscription