BMJ in UK BMJ India BMJ Brazil BMJ in North America BMJ China

Use and abuse of common household products and home remedies

Use and abuse of common household products and home remedies

Cautionary tales from among the 15,000-strong library of submitted cases

Now that BMJ Case Reports has reached a grand total of 15,000 submissions, certain cautionary themes continue to crop up among the wide variety of instructive and educational narratives–from the hazards of misusing common household products to the consequences of unwittingly swallowing everyday items…

Household goods
A man developed severe liver injury after taking excessive amounts of the multipurpose home remedy Epsom salts to dissolve his gallstones, on the advice of a naturopath https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr221718.pdf, while another overdosed on the indigestion remedy Milk of Magnesia in a bid to relieve his constipation https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr218260.pdf

And mistaking a bottle of nail glue for eye drops damaged the surface of one 64 year-old’s eye https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr2435.pdf

Food and drink
A woman with the blood cancer myeloma successfully turned to a daily dose of the spice turmeric to stabilise her condition https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr218148.pdf

But another woman was not so fortunate: she developed high blood pressure after drinking up to six cups a day of liquorice tea as a substitute for the caffeinated variety
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr209926.pdf

And a man seemed to prove the maxim ‘everything in moderation’ when he developed acute hepatitis after knocking back four to five energy drinks every day for three weeks in a bid to help him get through his exhausting work schedule https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr3322.pdf

Food is the most common cause of the severe allergic reaction anaphylaxis, exemplified by one man’s response to his own home-cooked meal containing mustard seeds https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr208980.pdf

Complementary therapies
But attempts to eat less led one woman to develop thyroid problems after following a commercial ‘natural ingredients’ diet, high in iodine https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr206330.pdf

And certain Ayurvedic remedies have proved hazardous when enthusiasts variously attempted a new year detox, or tried out remedies for low back pain and the skin condition vitiligo
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr216348.pdf
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr215041.pdf
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr200958.pdf

Toys
Toys can bring pain as well as pleasure, as three people discovered when they were hit with darts from a Nerf gun, causing serious eye injuries https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr220967.pdf

Another source of potential eye trauma are button batteries https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr009094.pdf, which can also prove problematic when swallowed https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr009073.pdf

Foreign bodies
But toothpicks seem to be the most commonly reported item to be swallowed unintentionally, causing not only severe pain, but perforated bowel
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr219198.pdf
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr009869.pdf
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr3047.pdf https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr223256.pdf

…And liver abscess https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr006408.pdf, to say nothing of severe internal bleeding https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr218338.pdf

Other items swallowed by accident include a hair grip (bobby pin) and a bird feather
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr210997.pdf
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr008635.pdf

Bones and teeth

Swallowing fish and chicken bones can be hazardous, as the following cases show
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr213767.pdf
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr5588.pdf
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr3887.pdf
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr4838.pdf
https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr008226.pdf

And accidentally swallowing dentures is perhaps not as rare as people might think. But in the following case, it took four weeks before doctors realised what had happened https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr2401.pdf

Finally, one 10- year old’s habit of chewing on her pencil resulted in the lead becoming embedded inside her tooth https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr206905.pdf

Mimics
Nevertheless, appearances can be deceptive: swallowed ‘foreign bodies’ can mimick all manner of conditions, from inflammation of the gallbladder https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr207806.pdf to inflammatory bowel disease https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr009603.pdf, ulcerated eye, https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr200143.pdf and even lung cancer https://press.psprings.co.uk/bcr/december/bcr220514.pdf

BMJ IN THE NEWS

Latest coverage of BMJ in the national and international media

VISIT BMJ IN THE NEWS

RECEIVE OUR PRESS RELEASES

If you are a journalist who would like to receive BMJ Press Releases, please supply your details to Gorkana

CONTACT GORKANA

REQUEST AN INTERVIEW

One in ten of our staff is a medically qualified healthcare professional and expert in their field. 

CONTACT THE MEDIA TEAM TODAY