Director of Public Health
We are a University Health Board responsible for improving health and delivering integrated healthcare for over 386,000 people. With a turnover of over £1 billion and employing 12,500 staff, the Swansea Bay University Health Board delivers tertiary, acute, intermediate, mental health, community and primary care services to people in Swansea, Neath Port Talbot and beyond. Our Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery is also responsible for patients in the South West of England. As a University Health Board, we work in close partnership with Swansea University and other Welsh universities with a strong research and development and training agenda.
We are highly ambitious for the communities we serve and the people we employ, with exciting plans for the future. We have clear values about how we do business, which underpin everything we do – caring for each other, working together and always improving.
- We are seeking to appoint an outstanding Executive Director of Public Health who, as a Board Director and system leader, will be responsible for public health advocacy, leadership and action, working as part of a unified public health system with Public Health Wales, in improving health and well-being and patient safety, decreasing health inequalities and protecting the public from health hazards across the LHB Health community.
- You will be responsible for the Public Health Strategic Framework which has a strong focus on prevention and early intervention in the early years, focusing on five key priority areas; smoking cessation, tackling obesity, increasing immunisation uptake across all ages, tackling physical inactivity and increasing activity levels across the population.
- As a member of our Board, you will be the principle public health advisor, offer a strategic vision and hold corporate responsibility jointly with other board members for corporate policy making and development and delivery of the LHB objectives.
- The Board would like to offer academic links (including an honorary academic role) or a natural leadership role according to the qualifications, interests and experience of the successful candidate.
The successful candidate will be able to evidence:
- A commitment to our values.
- A successful track record of transformational leadership, service improvement and delivery of change in a complex healthcare setting.
- A patient centred approach, with a clear focus on safety and quality as the drivers for change and improvement.
- Experience of building strong and effective working relationships both internally and externally.
- Managerially accountable to the Chief Executive of Swansea Bay University Health Board you will also hold an honorary contract with Public Health Wales.
- Applicants must be on the GMC/GDC Specialist Register/UK Voluntary Register for Public Health Specialists, and hold MFPH by examination, exemption or by assessment.
If you are excited by the prospect of joining the Health Board to become one of our Executive Directors please contact Tracy Myhill ( Chief Executive) on 01639 683302 or Richard Evans (Medical Director) on 01639 683307 for an informal discussion.
For further details, and to apply click on the Apply button below.
When submitting your CV, please attach a brief covering statement (no more than two sides of A4) setting out how you feel you meet the requirements of the role.
The selection process for shortlisted candidates will be held on 4th and 5th December 2019.