Clinical Fellow in Medical Microbiology & Infection
Clinical Fellow in Medical Microbiology & Infection – Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Location:Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (HHFT) both main sites Basingstoke and Winchester.
- Role Description: Clinical microbiology & infection consultations, liaison and provision of advice.
- Participation in daily infection ward rounds (bacteraemias, sterile site infection, ITU/HDU ward round)
- As required prescribe or amend antimicrobial prescriptions accordingly with supervision from duty Microbiology & infection consultant.
- Authorisation of microbiology laboratory reports under supervision of a consultant microbiologist
- Antimicrobial stewardship activities: ward round/ audit/ development of guidance
- Infection control placement & experience
What we look for:
- An enthusiastic colleague with experience general medical and general surgical specialties, and ideally experience in clinical microbiology/ infection.
- A doctor who can provide diagnostic microbiology, infection prevention and antimicrobial stewardship service under the supervision for experienced consultant microbiologists.
- A good communicator and a team player
- A person who is Interested in developing self and others
What we Offer:
The post holder will have the opportunity to learn a wide range of skills, knowledge and attitudes related to clinical and laboratory microbiology including virology. This will include:
- Broad understanding of the diagnosis and management of infectious disease from a clinical and laboratory perspective diagnostic skills required in the practice of clinical microbiology, infection and virology
- Knowledge of specialist areas such as infection control,
- Communication skills required for the practice of clinical microbiology/ ID including virology and the teaching skills necessary for effective practice
- Your life outside HHFT is important and the Trust are happy to consider applications with flexible working patterns that cater to individual requirements; this can be discussed at interview
Who we are: we are the microbiologists and infection team serving HHFT, primary care and external commissioners. We are based at BNHH and undertake bacteriology, serology, mycology, faecal parasitology, molecular services including chlamydia and mycobacteriology. The main laboratory is spacious with separate serology and molecular labs. It has full UKAS accreditation to ISO15189(2012). There is full participation in relevant EQA schemes and inter-laboratory exchange schemes. We are very pro innovation; we participate in teaching medical students (from the University of Southampton and St Georges School of medicine/Grenada). Our suites are training accredited sites for microbiology/ ID as part of Wessex deanery rotation. We have a large publication output.
About the trust:
The vision at Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is to provide outstanding care for every patient. We serve a population of nearly 600,000 people across Hampshire and West Berkshire as well as some people who access our specialist services from across the country.
Created in January 2012 the Foundation Trust prioritises the provision of exceptional, compassionate, care delivered by the valued staff working in a culture of collaboration and mutual respect. HHFT employs circa 6,000 people and had a turnover of £382m in 17/18
Four core values (CARE) Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Encourage. These are in place to support of four clear objectives, provide outstanding care of patients, empowering all members of staff, sustainable growth and innovating for the future.
For further details / informal visits contact:
Kordo Saeed, Consultant Microbiologist on 01962 825927