An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a dynamic team of 8 substantive consultants based at Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton, Somerset. These are two new posts created to support the growing demand for high quality histopathology diagnosis with a potential to create a comprehensive cross-county service.
The pathology services in Somerset are consolidated into South West Pathology Services (SPS), a public-private partnership which is majority NHS owned. The Cellular Pathology service consists of a hub laboratory in Taunton where cervical cytology reporting takes place and two histopathology departments that are based at Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton and Yeovil District Hospital in Yeovil, respectively. Consultant histopathologists are employed by the respective Trust and based at the local hospital’s histopathology laboratory.
The department currently has two trainee posts. All the pathology specialities have full ISO15189 accreditation.
The departmental workload is quite typical for a DGH hospital and includes large amounts of breast, colorectal and urological pathology. An interest in one or more of these areas, as well as lymphoreticular pathology, is desirable, although any special interest usually found in a district general hospital may be accommodated. Reporting of cervical cytology or non-gynae cytology is optional. Part-time applications will also be considered.
The department is well equipped including:
- Fully functioning digital pathology reporting system
- Newly refurbished state-of-the-art mortuary facilities
- Digital dictation and voice recognition for cut-up and micro reporting
- Cerebro laboratory tracking system
- Competitive relocation packages are available by negotiation with the Trust
- Additional programmed activities up to 11.5 PAs are available to all full-time appointees, subject to appropriate job planning
- Additionally paid overtime is currently available to all consultants
- Equal opportunities to undertake private practice and post-mortems are available to new appointees (subject to further approval)
- Flexible working patterns, including working from home, can be accommodated within the department with the use of digital histopathology
Musgrove Park Hospital is situated in the South West of England in the county town of Taunton, close to J25 of the M5 motorway, 48 miles south of Bristol and is 2 hours by rail from London. The Vale of Taunton sits between 2 Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the Quantock and Blackdown Hills, and is within easy reach of the Exmoor National Park and North Devon and Dorset coasts.
Somerset offers some of the best schools in the country. Ranging from Public institutions such as Millfield, Queens College, Taunton School, Kings College, Wellington School, and Blundell’s, to award winning state schools such as the Richard Huish College which has been ranked in the top 10 of A-level providers nationally for the last eight years, through to secondary’s ranking in the top 5% nationally such as The Castle school.
Throw in a cost of living that will see you afford a higher quality of life, low average house prices, and a significantly lower than national average crime rate, we like to think we’re offering you the best of both worlds, professionally, and personally.
For further details / informal visits contact:
Additional information including person specification can be found in the job description. For any queries, please contact:
Clinical Lead, Dr Andrzej Karmolinski – firstname.lastname@example.org, 01823 344430
Associate Medical Director, Dr Petra Jankowska – email@example.com, 01823 343526
Directorate Manager, David Craig – firstname.lastname@example.org, 01823 344550