Full Time (10 Programmed Activities)
West London Children's Healthcare (WLCH) are pleased to invite applications for a full time (10PA) Locum Resident Paediatric Medicine Consultant based on the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital campus.
We have an ambitious vision to improve the health and wellbeing of children and young people across West London through collaboration of clinical teams and by building stronger, equitable common care pathways with close links to research and education colleagues at Imperial College
WLCH runs paediatric services from four sites, Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, West Middlesex, Hammersmith Hospital and St Mary's Hospital. In addition, we are working in partnership with other acute providers in NWL and with our partners in community, mental health, local borough and voluntary sector services to improve care for all children and young people.
The post, based at Chelsea and Westminster, is made up of attending weeks on either the Paediatric Wards or HDU, outpatient clinics and resident nights covering either the Paediatric Emergency Department or the Paediatric Wards & HDU.
We are looking for individuals with an interest in acute paediatrics, including emergency medicine, and subspecialty interests that build on the current services (including but not limited to Adolescent Medicine, Allergy, Diabetes, Epilepsy or Respiratory).
Enquiries should be addressed to:
Dr James Ross Clinical Director Paediatrics email@example.com
Main duties of the job
This post is a full time, 10PA, post based at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. The main role, as part of resident consultants, is to ensure access to an immediate on site 24 hour consultant paediatrician medical opinion and review. The successful candidate will work a shift based rota and will be resident within the paediatric emergency department or on the paediatric wards at night 1 in 6 (during which time they will also provide senior assessment of acutely sick in-patients as needed).
Whilst on the ED shop floor the resident consultant is responsible all children in the PED and for the shift management, supervising middle grades and junior STs in their decisions, and ensuring the department is performing to meet the required indicators.
A non-resident consultant grade remains responsible for inpatients overnight and is available to provide support.
We provide services from two main hospitals, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and West Middlesex University Hospital, and a number of clinics across London and the South-East. We have over 6,000 members of staff that are PROUD to Care for nearly one million people. Both hospitals provide full clinical services, including full maternity, emergency and children's, in addition to a range of community-based services across London, such as award-winning sexual health and HIV clinics.
We're one of the best preforming Trusts in the country. We're also one of the top trusts to work for - our staff say they're engaged, motivated, and would recommend us as a place to work and receive treatment.
Our Trust has been rated by the Care Quality Commission as 'Good' in all five of the main domains of safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led, giving an us overall rating of 'Good'. We've also been awarded an 'Outstanding' rating for 'use of resources' by an NHS Improvement inspection.
Our facilities are some of the best in the country. We have been investing around £10 million a year in our estate. We are currently spending £25 million on expanding our adult and neonatal critical care facilities at Chelsea and Westminster and redevelopment of our children's unit at West Middlesex - in partnership with our charity, CW+ and generous donors.
The successful applicants will share responsibility with the existing Consultant Staff to:
- Participate in the administration and development paediatric services at the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital.
- Help with protocols and guidelines.
- Carry out two clinics per week where applicable.
- Clinically supervise and train junior medical staff in the care of sick children
- Share appraisal and mentorship of junior doctors, induction of juniors doctors
- Offer advice to junior doctors, nurses, general practitioners and other specialties.
- Undertake in-hospital training/teaching of nursing and other staff.
- Participate in medical audit and support juniors.
- There is already a strong clinical audit department in the trust and linked closely in each directorate to clinical effectiveness group as part of clinical governance.
- Assist in the development of research interests in the department.
Please refer to our detailed job description for more information
- MBBS or equivalent
- MRCPCH or equivalent
- On GMC's specialist Register in paediatrics, CCT/CCST in Paediatric medicine or a UK specialist trainee within 6 months of CCT/CCST on interview date
- MD or other Higher degree
- Wide experience in acute paediatrics including all aspects of paediatric emergencies and child safeguarding and protection
- Level 3 Safeguarding Training
- APLS provider or equivalent
- Experience of teaching to meet the requirements of junior doctors and nurses
- Skills and training in a sub specialty which could benefit the department
- Paediatric Emergency Medicine experience at middle grade or consultant level
- PICU experience at middle grade or consultant level.
- APLS instructor
- Undergraduate/ postgraduate and formal bed side teaching
- Teaching qualification
- Training and experience in simulation.
- Understanding of clinical governance audit
- Evidence of written guidelines
- Good understanding of the structure and processes of the NHS
- Organisation, time management, forward planning attention to detail
- Knowledge of best practice in management
- Evidence of leadership skills
- Knowledge of business planning and budgets
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.