This post is for a Senior Clinical Fellow in Obstetrics & Gynaecology. There is two 6 months fixed term post available, Post one is 60% LTFT (24 hours per week) and post two is 80% LTFT (32 hours per week) both posts offering an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Medic to join a dynamic, rapidly expanding team delivering multidisciplinary acute care in Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
Due to the short term nature of the role, the successful candidate must hold full registration with the GMC and have existing right to work in the UK, at the time of application. Candidates who are not GMC registered or do not hold existing right to live and work in the UK, at the time of application will not progress through the shortlisting stage.
Proposed Interview date - 25th January 2024Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will join a team of 13 Consultants within the directorate who currently provide services for General Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Feto-maternal Medicine, Urogynaecology, Menstrual disorders, Menopause, Subfertility, Outpatient hysteroscopy, Colposcopy and Gynaecological Oncology. The directorate is supported by 8 SAS Doctors (2 Associate specialists and 6 Specialty doctor), 6 Specialty Trainees ST3+ and 13 Junior Doctors (3 O& G ST 1& 2, 7 GPSTs and 3 F2).
The Obstetrics & Gynaecology Directorate is based at Whiston hospital with some outpatient services and day surgery at St Helens Hospital. Outpatient hysteroscopy/PMB, colposcopy and urodynamics clinics are at St Helens hospital.
It would be expected that any successful candidate would take an active role in the service provision of the Department. In addition they would be expected to actively participate in education and audit and the trust have a well-established audit unit to support this. The exact timetable will vary depending on the individual doctor's skills and training requirements. The core sessions of Antenatal clinic, Gynaecology clinic, Labour Ward and Theatre will form the basis of the rota with additional service and educational sessionAbout us
The Trust delivers acute hospital care, intermediate care, community, and primary care services to a population of over 600,000 people with a combined workforce of around 9000 dedicated and skilled staff from 17 locations including Whiston, Southport & Formby, St Helens, Ormskirk and Newton hospitals.
The Trust provides regional services for burns, plastic surgery and spinal injuries to more than 4 million people across Mersey and West Lancashire, Cheshire, the Isle of Man and North Wales.
Our Vision is to deliver 5 Star Patient Care:
Our achievements include:
- CAREthat is evidence based, high quality and compassionate
- SAFETY that is of the highest standards
- COMMUNICATION that is open, inclusive and respectful
- SYSTEMS that are efficient, patient centred and reliable
- PATHWAYS that are best practice and embedded, but also respect the individual needs of patients
- Trust rated Outstanding by CQC Inspection August 2018
- Top 100 places to work in the NHS (NHS Employers & Health Service Journal)
- Awarded National Preceptorship Accreditation (2023) for our Nursing & AHP Preceptorship Programme
Please see our Wellbeing & Benefits booklet for more information on our staff benefits. Accessible version available upon request. Job description Job responsibilities General Duties of All Employees
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- To observe the provisions of and adhere to all Trust policies and procedures.
- To actively participate in annual performance review to identify personal development needs.
- To attend Trust Statutory and Mandatory training sessions as required and any other training courses relevant to the post.
- To fully comply with the relevant sections of the Health and Safety at Work Act. The post holder must also understand and implement St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Hospitals Trusts Statement of Policy on Health and Safety at Work and the Trusts corporate Health and Safety Policies and Procedures. The post holder is required to follow all applicable rules and procedures relating to Health and Safety at Work and to take all responsible precautions
- To be aware of the confidential aspects of the post. To keep up to date with the requirements of information governance undertake mandatory training and follow Trust policies and procedures to ensure that trust information is dealt with legally, securely, efficiently and effectively. Breaches of confidentiality will result in disciplinary action that may involve dismissal. You must maintain the confidentiality of information about service user staff and organisational business in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR) and Caldicott principles
- To ensure that when creating, managing and sharing information records, it is done in an appropriate way, subject to statutory requirements and agreed security and confidentiality policies, procedures and guidelines. All employees are responsible for implementing and maintaining data quality, ensuring that records are legible and attributable and that their record keeping is contemporaneous.
- To be aware of the confidential aspects of the post. Breaches of confidentiality will result in disciplinary action that may involve dismissal. The post holder should also be aware that, regardless of any action taken by the employing authority, breaches of confidentiality could result in civil action for damages.
- All employees will be treated with respect by managers, colleagues, patients and visitors and equally employees will treat managers, colleagues, patients and visitors with the same level of respect. Employees will be supported to challenge any discriminatory behaviour that may be based on differences in race, disability, language, culture, religion, sexuality, age, and gender or employment status.
- To be responsible for the prevention and control of infection within their own area. To attend infection control induction training and subsequent mandatory infection control training. To follow all Trust policies, procedures and guidelines relating to infection control.
- To adhere to relevant Code of Practice of Professional body (if appropriate)
- The duties contained in this job description are not intended to be exhaustive. The duties and responsibilities of this post are likely to evolve in line with the Trusts continued organisational development.
- The post holder must be flexible in the duties performed and it is expected that similar duties, not specifically listed above, will be carried out as required and may be across sites.
- Applicants must be eligible for full registration with the GMC at the time of appointment
- MBBS or equivalent medical qualification
Clinical Experience Essential
- MRCOG or equivalent medical qualification
- Higher Degree CCT/CESR or equivalent medical qualification
- Completed 4 years full time post graduate training (or equivalent if part time) at least 2 of which shall be in a specialty training programme in the specialty
- Experience of a broad range of medical/surgical specialties
- Experience of Obstetrics & Gynaecology as a specialty trainee or has equivalent experience and competencies
- Participated on/experience of 2nd/3rd on call in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Evidence of achievements of ST1/ST2 competencies or equivalent relevant to Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Evidence of competence to manage Obstetrics & Gynaecology emergencies through continuous work based assessments, portfolio evidence, including log book documentation, if appropriate
- Experience & ability to manage junior medical staff
Management & Administrative Experience Essential
- RCOG ATSM or Equivalent and demonstrable experience including that relating to a special interest, Intermediate US skills module, LW ATSM, ATSM in acute gynaecology, advanced antennal practice, ambulatory gynaecology, colposcopy or similar
Teaching Experience Desirable
- Knowledge, understanding and experience in audit management
Other Attributes Essential
- Ability to teach clinical skills to Junior Doctors
- Ability to work in a team
- Commitment to continuing medical education
Employer details Employer name
- Publications in preferred journals
Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.