- The post is for a Specialty Doctor in Acute Medicine. The is a whole-time post offering an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Medic to join a dynamic, rapidly expanding team delivering multidisciplinary acute care in Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals.
- An ideal post for someone planning a career in General or Acute Medicine and wishing to gain additional experience before applying for StR rotations or for someone planning a career in general medicine or other speciality and wanting to gain some additional experience.
- The post is based primarily at West Lancashire Teaching Hospital although some outpatient clinics and sessions may be delivered across both sites.
- The post holder will participate in the on-call rota, 1:16 full shift.
Applicants must be eligible for full registration with the GMC at time of appointmentMain duties of the job
- Carry out inpatient ward and board rounds.
- Ensure that Estimated Discharge Dates are set on admission for inpatients.
- Keep up to date with required administration work.
- Support delivery of national targets (18 weeks, 62-day cancer, new to follow up ratios, length of stay)
- Provide training and supervision to junior doctors.
- Participate in rolling teaching programme.
Keep themselves up to date with best medical practice.
Patients admitted as emergencies via A& E or GP referral are triaged to specialty wards such as Respiratory, Gastroenterology, and Cardiology etc within the confines of bed availability. They are first assessed in a 21 bedded Emergency Assessment Unit (EAU) by the on call Medical Team, which comprises 1 Registrar Grade, 2 SHO, 1 F1 Grade supported by 2 Consultant Nurse Practitioners. 9 am - 5am there is support from the Acute Consultant Physicians and a Specialist Registrar in Acute Medicine. A Consultant Physician remains on site reviewing admissions until 9 pm 7 days of the week and leads night Hospital at Night handover at 9:00 pm.About us
The Secretary of State has approved the partnership between St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospitals and Southport & Ormskirk Hospitals.
From 1st July we have come together as a single organisation under the name Mersey & West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
The Trust delivers acute hospital care, intermediate care, community, and primary care services to a population of over 600,000 people with a combined workforce of around 9000 dedicated and skilled staff from 17 locations including Whiston, Southport & Formby, St Helens, Ormskirk and Newton hospitals.
The Trust provides regional services for burns, plastic surgery and spinal injuries to more than 4 million people across Mersey and West Lancashire, Cheshire, the Isle of Man and North Wales.
Our Vision is to deliver 5 Star Patient Care:
Our achievements include:
- CAREthat is evidence based, high quality and compassionate
- SAFETY that is of the highest standards
- COMMUNICATION that is open, inclusive and respectful
- SYSTEMS that are efficient, patient centred and reliable
- PATHWAYS that are best practice and embedded, but also respect the individual needs of patients
- Trust rated Outstanding by CQC Inspection August 2018
- Top 100 places to work in the NHS (NHS Employers & Health Service Journal)
- Awarded National Preceptorship Accreditation (2023) for our Nursing & AHP Preceptorship Programme
Please see our Wellbeing & Benefits booklet for more information on our staff benefits. Job description Job responsibilities
Please ensure you have read through the attached Job Description and Person Specification submitting your application.
Advert Date: 5th December 2023
Closing Date: 19th December 2023
Shortlisting Date: 20th December 2023
Interview Date: TBCPerson Specification Qualifications Essential
- Basic Medical Qualification, Full MRCP or working towards MRCP
- GMC Registration and License to Practice
- MSc, MD or PhD Full M.R.C.P or equivalent
Skills Essential Desirable
- Knowledge of General Medicine sufficient to work at middle grade level
- Sufficient training and experience to be able to work at middle grade level
- Extensive training and experience in General Medicine
- To have an understanding about clinical audit process
- Experience of clinical audit
- Research experience and current publications
- Excellent patient communication
- Participate in routine undergraduate/postgraduate teaching
- Ability to work in a multi-professional team
- Team management skills
- Commitment to partnership working and the development of primary care
Employer details Employer name
- HE teaching qualification
Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Town Lane, Kew
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.