Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust are looking to recruit a Specialty Doctor in Ophthalmology to join our friendly and supportive Ophthalmology Team in the Planned Care Clinical Business Unit at the Southport and Ormskirk sites. We are proud to offer this post and are looking for dedicated individual who is looking to join a progressive department, and is keen to extend the scope of services currently available.
The successful applicant will be expected to work within a clearly defined scope of autonomous practice and will be a vital participant in developing and shaping the direction of the service. Office accommodation will be provided and is usually shared with other senior clinical colleagues. Access to appropriate IT systems will be provided in the office accommodation as well as in the clinical areas. Secretarial support will also be provided by a medical secretary, with typing of clinical correspondence supported by the clinical transcription suite.Main duties of the job
The Ophthalmology Service is based at Southport and Ormskirk Sites and undertakes the whole range of ophthalmic work. The Ophthalmology Department provides support to the community children's screening clinics as well as the provision of an orthoptic service.
The Specialty Doctor post will be a middle grade post. The job will involve handling out-patient clinics and undertaking supervised theatre sessions which will depend on experience. It will involve 1 in 7 1st on-call duties. It is hoped that the successful candidate will maintain an active interest in teaching and audit sessions. This is a non-training post but There will be support and the opportunity for completing learning competencies for CESR with the ophthalmology department of the Mersey and west Lancashire NHS trust.
Flexible working arrangements may be considered for these posts.About us
The Secretary of State has approved the partnership between St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospitals and Southport & Ormskirk Hospitals.
From 1st July we have come together as a single organisation under the name Mersey & West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
The Trust delivers acute hospital care, intermediate care, community, and primary care services to a population of over 600,000 people with a combined workforce of around 9000 dedicated and skilled staff from 17 locations including Whiston, Southport & Formby, St Helens, Ormskirk and Newton hospitals.
The Trust provides regional services for burns, plastic surgery and spinal injuries to more than 4 million people across Mersey and West Lancashire, Cheshire, the Isle of Man and North Wales.
Our Vision is to deliver 5 Star Patient Care:
Our achievements include:
- CAREthat is evidence based, high quality and compassionate
- SAFETY that is of the highest standards
- COMMUNICATION that is open, inclusive and respectful
- SYSTEMS that are efficient, patient centred and reliable
- PATHWAYS that are best practice and embedded, but also respect the individual needs of patients
- Trust rated Outstanding by CQC Inspection August 2018
- Top 100 places to work in the NHS (NHS Employers & Health Service Journal)
- Awarded National Preceptorship Accreditation (2023) for our Nursing & AHP Preceptorship Programme
Please see our Wellbeing & Benefits booklet for more information on our staff benefits. Job description Job responsibilities
The employer is Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospital NHS Trust
Managerial accountability is to the Clinical Lead. The work of the post-holder will be supervised by a consultant. She/he will participate in the regular in-house educational programme. The timetable may include some evening sessions. Surgical training in phacoemulsification / VR will be provided for interested and suitable candidates within the MWL NHS Trust. The job plan will be reviewed depending on the needs of the unit / doctor at the time. Principal Accountabilities
The post holder will:
- Contribute to the care of both out-patients and in-patients.
- Help with emergency work during normal hours.
- Undertake on-call on 1 in 7 Rota basis
- Assist in the compilation and organisation of audit sessions.
- Deputize during the daytime for absent colleagues within the agreed Rota
- Assist with duties outside those normally rostered but which are judged to be essential for patient care under exceptional circumstances.
- Flexibility in working pattern is desirable and expected.
A minimum of 4 years post graduate experience is necessary with at least 2 years in Ophthalmology. in the NHS.
The job description is intended to provide an outline of the duties of the post which may change with the development of the service. Residence
The successful candidate is required to reside within 30 minutes or ten miles by road from their principal place of work unless an employing organisation agrees that they may reside at a greater distance.
Reimbursement of removal expenses is discretionary and will be considered in line with Trust process.
Therefore, successful candidates are advised not to enter contractual arrangement for the removal of their home until such time as the formal approval of the authority is confirmed in writing. Please see attached job description and specifications for more details Advertising Date: 4th December 2023 Closing Date: 17th December 2023 ShortlistingDate: 18th December 2023 Interview Date: TBCPerson Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB ChB or evidence of equivalent qualification
- Full and specialist registration with the General Medical Council (GMC), and licenced to practice
- Minimum of 6 years as a SAS doctor (or equivalent) within Ophthalmology Specialty
Knowledge & Experience Essential
- Post-graduate professional qualification in Ophthalmology
- Previous experience of working in the NHS
- Demonstrated ability to manage patients with complex needs whilst remaining aware of own limitations
- Keeps up to date with current research and best practice
- Critically assesses learning requirements for self and others
- Creates effective learning opportunities for colleagues
Employer details Employer name
- Formal educational qualification
Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Southport & Ormskirk NHS Trust
Southport and Ormskirk
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.