Applications are invited for an ENT, Head-Neck Surgery Junior Specialist Doctor (Higher) based at Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust. This is a one year post available to start as soon as possible. The post provides an exciting opportunity to work within a friendly department at Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust - a busy ENT unit, covering City Hospital Birmingham and Sandwell General Hospital, West Bromwich with an equally busy elective ENT services covering multiple sub specialities. This non training job is at SPR level and would suit doctors working towards joining surgical training or looking for CESR in ENT. The department offers excellent educational/training opportunities in theatre and clinics as well as regular teaching sessions in the form of Journal Clubs and Departmental teaching. Applicants must hold full GMC registration and have achieved foundation trainee level competencies and 2-3 years ENT experience. This post has a varied weekly timetable, which includes on call clinical commitments, outpatient clinics and theatre lists. The post-holder will be responsible for the care of both elective ENT inpatients as well as acute admissions via A& E under the supervision of a consultant. Audit and research activities are actively encouraged. Closing date
: 10th December 2023 Interview date
: 20th December 2023Main duties of the job
The successful appointee will participate in both elective and on call activity. Elective work in outpatients at both sites and alongside ward colleagues when on call. There will be weekly allocated theatre lists including emergencies. Participation in the full shift on call rota (currently 1:5 with prospective cover) covering Sandwell and City General Hospitals, including post-take ward round is required. A large majority of activities are consultant led. Inpatient work includes review of ENT emergency and elective patients, attending both elective and emergency theatre, and attendance on consultant ward rounds as well as performing ward rounds independently. Although the post is non-training a named supervisor will be monitoring the clinical and educational activities. Opportunities to progress and develop a subspecialist interest would be supported as would application for CESR. The duties of the job can be changed as per the requirements of the department and with appropriate notice.About us
Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust (SWBT) is an integrated careorganisation with a budget of approximately £600 million and over 7,000 staff. Diversity and social care is at the core of what we do as the Trust provides Community and Acute Services to over half a million people in an urban centre that demands massive regeneration and has substantial premature mortality.
Our new acute hospital, the Midland Metropolitan University Hospital (MMUH), opens in 2024 and will provide care to our local population from first class, purpose-built premises.As a result, the base of this role may change to MMUH from 2024 (or beyond). If this is applicable to your role, you will be informed during the recruitment process and continuing your application with this understanding.The development of the new hospital will play an important role in the regeneration of the wider area and in improving the lives of local people and reducing health inequalities.
We have three newly emerging strategic objectives:
Job description Job responsibilities
- Our People - to cultivate and sustain happy, productive and engaged staff
- Our Patients - to be good or outstanding in everything we do
- Our Population - to work seamlessly with our partners to improve lives
For more information on the job role and responsibilities, please refer to the Job Description attached.
For an informal discussion, please contact:
Clinical Lead ENT, Ms Ameera Abdelrahim Tel: 0121 507 3149 via switch Email: email@example.com
Group Director, Mr Siten Roy, Tel: 0121 507 3149 Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgPerson Specification Qualifications Essential
Desirable Clinical Experience Essential
- Basic medical qualification (eg.MBBS or equivalent)
- Completed significant years full time postgraduate training(or Equivalent) with experience in specialty training in Otolaryngology or equivalent experience and competencies
- Appropriate Career Progression
Personal Circumstances Essential
- Evidence of further experience and training in Otolaryngology
Other Requirements Essential
- Residence within a reasonable distance of the Trust's Hospitals
- Ability to undertake clinical commitments at any of the Trust's sites.
Personal Attributes Essential
- Full GMC Registration and licence to practise
- An understanding of the current NHS environment, particularly in relation to reforms, initiatives and issues.
- An awareness of current specialty specific developments, initiatives and issues
Clinical Effectiveness Essential
- Energy and enthusiasm and the ability to work under pressure
- An enquiring and critical approach to work
- Caring attitude to patients
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, patients, relatives, GPs, nurses, other staff and agencies.
- Commitment to Continuing Medical Education and Professional Development
- Ability to organise and priorities workload effectively
- Willingness to undertake clinical audit.
Employer details Employer name
- Ability to use the evidence base and clinical audit to support decision making
- Experience of conducting clinical audit
Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS TrustAddress
SWB NHS Trust
Sandwell & West Birmingham
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.